↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Defender PUMA = unstopable. Dune driving suggestion.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Alex e

England 2006 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Zambezi Silver
when we had a vehicle stuck in sand and digging itself in, we reduced the tyre pressures and it drove itself out. Lower pressures = bigger footprint = increased spread of load = less likely to get stuck. that's just my view though. Laughing
Post #46930 1st Dec 2010 2:38pm
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
never really done any serious driving on sand so can't comment on the above but one question.

how does sand affect the swivells and the seals, is it bad for them, all that grit etc same with UJs i'd image?

cheers BM52
Post #46933 1st Dec 2010 2:53pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
bm52 wrote:
never really done any serious driving on sand so can't comment on the above but one question.

how does sand affect the swivells and the seals, is it bad for them, all that grit etc same with UJs i'd image?

cheers

it does affect them if you do enough driving in sand. the biggest issue is the bushes on the radius arms. sand gets inside and can really Censored them up. if you know youre going to do a lot of desert driving, you can make discs out of compressed rubber to go either side of the bush itself. disc diameter should be slightly bigger than the bush itself. keeps the sand out.
Post #46938 1st Dec 2010 3:18pm
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
BigMike wrote:
bm52 wrote:

cheers

it does affect them if you do enough driving in sand. the biggest issue is the bushes on the radius arms. sand gets inside and can really Censored them up. if you know youre going to do a lot of desert driving, you can make discs out of compressed rubber to go either side of the bush itself. disc diameter should be slightly bigger than the bush itself. keeps the sand out.

never thought about the radius arm bushes. the solution sounds so simple but, presumably, effective. wonder why LR never modified the bushes to minimise the impact of this issue. BM52
Post #46939 1st Dec 2010 3:29pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Re: but removing the ABS fuse, and she sailed up no problem,
Andrea wrote:
How does 1 remove the ABS fuse, is it under the seat or in the engine?
Question

Under the seat in a Puma well it was in mine. 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #46960 1st Dec 2010 6:30pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
under the steering column in my Puma for a fuse although the actual unit is under the drivers seat and can be disabled there.

If lowering pressures for a bigger footprint for greater traction is a myth then who ever designed beadlocks has a hell of a myth going there and i have fallen for it.

So much so in fact that running beadlocks and 8psi was like having the axle locker engaged for the additional traction it gave. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #46993 1st Dec 2010 9:20pm
AlanH

Australia 
Lowering pressures is certainly standard procedure in Oz and I've had mine down to about 10psi to get up long dunes of soft sand.
Trying to get off beaches with hard tyres is sometimes impossible and only serves to cut tracks up and cause deep holes making it worse for those that follow you.
I don't think what SFs do is relevant, they don't pay for their own vehicles and it doesn't matter if they thrash the hell out of them.
As far as I'm concerned it takes a lot strain off the running gear as well. Easier on the vehicle will make it last longer.
Alan.
Post #47043 2nd Dec 2010 11:50am
4wheeler

Australia 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Chawton White
AlanH wrote:
Lowering pressures is certainly standard procedure in Oz and I've had mine down to about 10psi to get up long dunes of soft sand.
Alan.

Agree 100% with Alan. First thing I do is drop pressures in off road situations, particularly sand. I start at 24 PSI for sand and drop from there depending upon how dry and how fine the sand is. Standard off road driving I drop to 28 PSI and lower from there for rock etc. I have never punctured and never dropped a bead. I just adjust my driving. No high speed and no sharp turns to pull the bead off the rim.

Obviously pressures depend on load carried to a degree. I look at the footprint of the tyre. As you drop pressures the tyre wall tends to bag out a little but more importantly the length of the tyre footprint extends as tyre pressure drops. This aids in floatation in sand and supports the vehicle. Much kinder on the drive system.

I once had my Ford utility bogged to the diffs in soft sand on a beach with sea water lapping at the front wheels. Numerous attemps to drive out failed at 24 PSI so I bit the bullet and dropped them to 10 PSI. Drove straight out to much relief. Have never been stuck anywhere since.
Post #47396 4th Dec 2010 11:30am
Vixen

Australia 
I have a friend that NEVER drops his tyre pressures in sand. He never has a problem. Except that everyone is always telling him he is doing it wrong Laughing I ALWAYS have, and have never had much of a problem either. I think a lot of it depends on the skill of the driver. You have people like my mate who just ambles up and over dunes, and then like another mate who goes "rip, s*** or bust" at everything. Two totally different driving styles. Mine is somewhere between the two Laughing

What I have noticed with lower pressures is a much better and more comfortable ride if nothing else Wink
Post #47397 4th Dec 2010 11:38am
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
An old nomad once told me that to get the perfect tyre pressure for driving in sand is to do this.

Park on a level area in the sand you are about to venture into.
Deflate all the tyres.
Place a handful of sand on the outer sidewall of each of the tyres.
Re inflate the tyres keeping an eye on the handful of sand you placed on the sidewall, as the tyre inflates the sand will slide off the sidewall when this happens stop inflating.
You now have the perfect pressure for your tyre type, vehicle weight and sand conditions.

Dont tell anyone though as this is one of the best kept desert driving secrets Thumbs Up 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #47404 4th Dec 2010 2:35pm
Ninetenths

2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
BigMike wrote:
racing away from an engagement and being chased? .

Rolling with laughter Kiss Chase? Pimped black '07 Puma
Equally Pimped Black Pick up Truck

Rollin deep
Post #47410 4th Dec 2010 4:10pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
Vixen wrote:
I have a friend that NEVER drops his tyre pressures in sand. He never has a problem. Except that everyone is always telling him he is doing it wrong :lol: I ALWAYS have, and have never had much of a problem either. I think a lot of it depends on the skill of the driver. You have people like my mate who just ambles up and over dunes, and then like another mate who goes "rip, s*** or bust" at everything. Two totally different driving styles. Mine is somewhere between the two Laughing

What I have noticed with lower pressures is a much better and more comfortable ride if nothing else Wink

Laughing
Post #47417 4th Dec 2010 9:10pm
Ninetenths

Contact patches on a tyre at road pressures are tiny, you can increase them considerably by reducing tyre pressure and this dosent necessarily have to be so much that there is a risk of losing a bead. Of course vehicle weight/tyres/speed/sand temperature and type are also significant. Special forces et al use sand tyres and tend to have stripped down vehicles in any case. Pimped black '07 Puma

Rollin deep
Post #47420 4th Dec 2010 10:03pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
Ninetenths wrote:
Contact patches on a tyre at road pressures are tiny, you can increase them considerably by reducing tyre pressure and this dosent necessarily have to be so much that there is a risk of losing a bead. Of course vehicle weight/tyres/speed/sand temperature and type are also significant. Special forces et al use sand tyres and tend to have stripped down vehicles in any case.

Neither of those points are correct.
Post #47421 4th Dec 2010 10:11pm
Ninetenths

BigMike wrote:
Ninetenths wrote:
Contact patches on a tyre at road pressures are tiny, you can increase them considerably by reducing tyre pressure and this dosent necessarily have to be so much that there is a risk of losing a bead. Of course vehicle weight/tyres/speed/sand temperature and type are also significant. Special forces et al use sand tyres and tend to have stripped down vehicles in any case.

Neither of those points are correct.

Pink Panther Rolling Eyes Pimped black '07 Puma

Rollin deep
Post #47426 4th Dec 2010 10:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>