↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > For Sale & Wanted > [SOLD SOLD] Defender 50th anniversary GB165 just restored.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
jimblowscash

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Atlantis Blue
[SOLD SOLD] Defender 50th anniversary GB165 just restored.
sold pending the usual.

For those of you who have read my restoration post http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic45378.html here is the advert!

It is with a heavy heart I am offering for sale my 50th anniversary GB165 Defender. Having recently found out I am about to be a father I have have sadly come to the conclusion a defender 90 is no longer a practical daily driver.

GB165 has just been restored by Simon Durant, The leading expert on 50th restoration to an extremely high specification.

GB165 is cosmetically standard however has been modified to improve performance, all modifications are non damaging and can be removed if so desired.

modifications are:-

Overfinch Quick rack steering upgrade
Overfinch Suspension overhaul featuring new springs and shocks and roll bar modifications
Powerflex bush kit
EBC front and rear drilled disc's and EBC pads with Goodrich braided hoses
Full stainless steel exhaust system ( made as a development system )
Prinz / Lima multipoint LPG system with two 40L underslung torpedo tanks ( no messy tanks inside )
RPI stage 2 tune using stage 2 three angle valve seat cut heads, a full Piper cam kit including vernier pulley, Headman tubular manifolds and de-cat, magnicor competition HT leads and a Mark Adams tornado ECU chipset.
LED headlight upgrade.

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]
[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]
[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

GB165 is sold with a full & complete history from year dot including the comprehensive restoration file and all invoices for works carried out.

If ever you have wanted a 50th there has never been a better time to buy and I can guarantee you will not find a prettier one!
Having just had GB165 independently valued for insurance I am asking £42995.00

Viewing is welcome, I am based in mid kent.[/i][/b][/i][/b]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Last edited by jimblowscash on 27th May 2016 2:37pm. Edited 3 times in total
Post #526982 26th Apr 2016 4:06pm
Albert McFly

Scotland 
Good luck with the sale, how many miles has it done?

While I don't doubt the restoration has increased its value how do you come to the valuation of £43k?

I've purchased three 50th this year and it has cost me lot less than £43k for the three of them together including one in a similar condition to yours.
Post #527030 26th Apr 2016 6:08pm
Bails

50th
Bloody hell,

You can have mine for £20k
Advertised in 50th forum

How much was the refurb?

Prices are getting rediculous,
Post #527314 27th Apr 2016 1:58pm
jimblowscash

Hi Albert

Im glad you asked and Im happy to answer, as you know the 50th fraternity is a small one and everyone kind of knows whats going on.. I know you had three very very good buys, however the current average asking price ( excluding this one ) for a 50th ( 5 for sale as of 27.04.16 ) is 27k!

You currently have GB131, 242 & 193 with 131 being by far the best. Without being vulgar or personal I know what you paid for them ( roughly ) and the condition they are in ( as advertised ) and I absolutely guarantee you that if you were to stick 131 next to 165 you would be able to tell the difference between a fully restored 50 and an unrestored allbeit clean and shiny one, infact again without being personal or insulting even Stevie wonder would be able to see it. I did see the list of work required on 131 and although it had low milage it was far from " as good as restored"

To arrive at the sale price I have taken several things into consideration.

The value before restoration, this is simple to answer as they are only worth what people are willing to pay, I had two offers on the table before it went for restoration, by taking the average from the two offers left me with a figure of 20k

I then add the total cost of the work that has been carried out during restoration and add a nominal amount for the multipoint LPG, and stage 2 RPI work adding another 18k to the base value

Add a dash of increasing values ( 5 mins searching the web will verify this )

A splash of " I really don't want to part with it having just had it restored but cross my palm with silver and I can't refuse"

And then top it off with the fact that it is the ONLY and NEWEST simon Durrant restored 50th for sale in the world which makes it a pretty rare beast.

BUT just to make sure that I'm not having anyones pants down by selling them what is IMHO the best 50th on the market at a point where there increasing in value quickly, I got it valued for insurance purposes, and for that it required a condition report from the country's leading light in restored 50's.. in fact the very man who'd just done the work!.. and if I may quote him

"your insurance value should now be 42,000 plus, as to buy one and restore it to the same condition would be in that area now or possibly more"

So to be frank I personally think it should be priced a bit higher.. but there you have it.

Last edited by jimblowscash on 27th Apr 2016 4:21pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #527316 27th Apr 2016 2:19pm
jimblowscash

Re: 50th
Bails wrote:
Bloody hell,

You can have mine for £20k
Advertised in 50th forum

How much was the refurb?

Prices are getting rediculous,

Hi

The refurb wasn't cheap but neither are the results, the pics I've put up really don't do it justice! Just bear in Mind that Simon doesn't refurb them for profit as it isn't his main business, The total cost of just the parts bill AFTER Simons considerable discount was still north of 6k and that was before it got anywhere near paint etc..AND mine was a good one to begin with!!
Post #527317 27th Apr 2016 2:22pm
Albert McFly

Scotland 
Nice reply Jimblowscash and again good luck with the sale of what is a truly gorgeous car, point to make in return though 131 was chronically undersold by its previous owner and is in fact in wonderful condition and would rival a restoration on all levels apart from the 10 coat respray done to yours, looking at its history it was refurbed by Nene in the past.
Post #527319 27th Apr 2016 2:46pm
pjb

Some of us remember a time when you could get a good 50th for £10k, but that was also about the same time you could get a mint Series 1 for £10k

Mint Series 1's go for in excess of £40k so Jim may have got his pricing correct.

Personally I think the LPG detracts from the value rather than increases it, but just my opinion.

Bow down to the quality of the restoration and the fact that you still did it properly even though you were selling her.

Good luck with the sale Thumbs Up 2020 P300 HSE
Post #527328 27th Apr 2016 3:59pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jimblowscash

Some of us can remember drooling over them at the LR main dealers showroom when they were new! I just wish I had kept all the brochures I took away with me at the time, I have always from that day in 98 till 2011 wanted one and had to new a good dozen until I settled on 165..

Of all the series and defenders Ive owned I can honestly say I have loved every moment of owning a 50th, from looks & questions in the street to parking up with the other 50's at Brighton seafront every year NOTHING has come remotely close to it!
Post #527331 27th Apr 2016 4:29pm
Bails

Jim to be honest I can now see how the numbers stack up,
I must be mad contemplating selling but I'm a strong believer in if u don't use something then in the long run it will end up in a worse condition sat there,
Could u pm me Simons number. All I read is good feedback of his work!
I originally purchased with a view to restore but 3 kids have put a damper on things, I might just hang on to it seeing
Urs, who is the agreed insurance with?
Good luck with the sale,

Thanks
Post #527368 27th Apr 2016 7:23pm
Phib

1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Atlantis Blue
Firstly good luck with the sale !!

I have a 50th too and this can only be good news for all of us however mine will never be sold so its a bit irrelevant, apart from my insurance premiums going up with rising agreed valuations.

All I would say is insurance valuations are a bit misleading perhaps better to say can't be replaced at the cost of sale (as I suspect is the case)

Goodness knows what the insurance would be on a 50th with an agreed valuation of £43k, When I had my Heritage it was insured for £60k which was madness as it sold for much less but you couldn't have bought another CSW heritage for £60k at that point.

All it takes is one person to buy and stick in a collection wanting the very best

All the best

Phib
Post #527386 27th Apr 2016 7:59pm
Squirdan

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Keswick Green
GLWS

looks amazing and an epic restoration...major want

I am new to Defenders but have been up to my armpits in classic porsches and all I would say is restoration costs rarely ever get recovered in a sale price. Its far more common to see cars sell well below the sum of the receipts. Unless we are talking top top end rare Ferraris and Porsche. and /or many years of a rising market that inflate values aggressively

plus top money can only be commanded by Factory spec cars...not modded, regardless of how well done the mods are or how much they improve the driving experience
Post #527612 28th Apr 2016 8:00pm
jimblowscash

I hear what your saying about mods but there isn't s mod there that can't be unbolted! All of them including the lpg are non damaging and VASTLY improve the drive. The Overfinch mods were done via the original selling dealer and none of them are cosmetic or visible except for the underslung gas tanks.

I also hear what your saying about the cost of restoration, having built race cars all my adult life I'm only to aware that it's nigh on impossible to get the money back however it's a 50th , the only factory V8 to be fitted with auto transmission, made in very limited numbers , given individual build numbers infact and as rare as hens teeth in this condition. We are in a very botany defender market with silly silly prices and vast amounts of money for what are pretty standard albeit late vehicles.
Post #527634 28th Apr 2016 9:17pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
This is one of, if not the, nicest Defenders I've seen on Def 2. Simply, a gorgeous Defender.
The ONLY thing I don't like is the LPG conversion. It might be a little cheaper to run, but it's not original, and it spoils the under bonnet appearance. In addition, (IMHO of course), any potential owner of such a car is not going to be worried about fuel costs.
So, I'd be getting rid of the LPG, now, & making it original. I believe this would improve the appeal of this 50th.
If it were restored to petrol, and you did a before & after on the rollers, I believe that, properly tuned for petrol, you'd also see increased performance.
Of course I still LOVE the car! Pickles.
Post #527660 28th Apr 2016 10:53pm
Projectblue

England 
I love it when people come along and tell you that it's not worth the asking £.

My answer to them is always the same - "just because you personally don't think it's worth it, doesn't mean it isn't."
I had this very conversation recently over my 911. Someone desperately trying to convince me that it wasn't worth what I was asking. Eventually I got fed up with email exchange and said "it's worth it. Just because you don't have enough money, doesn't make my car expensive".
I sold it a week later to the dealer I bought it from, for £2k more than the individual was saying it was worth. The following weekend, the original perspective buyer came back to me and said he'd re thought and was willing to come up another grand. Oh the joy I felt when I told him I'd sold it, and for more money. But if he still wanted it, he could go to the dealer.

The purpose of this is to respectfully ask people to keep their thoughts to themselves about values - unless asked by the seller. People aren't stupid. If it's over priced it won't sell. If someone wants to milk something, let them try. If they are (and I am in no way saying the OP is) then they will know within themselves. If they don't care about this, then someone telling them is never going to make a difference. New project and it's green: www.projectoverland.info
Post #527672 28th Apr 2016 11:50pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Projectblue,....You are correct in what you say, but in this case, I don't see anyone making any derogatory, out of line, statements about the value of this car.
Making observations, including & talking about, price, is all part of a sale process, as long as they are made in a polite, and yes, sometimes even inquisitive manner,....I've sold heaps of cars, had all sorts of comments, and yes I've had the nasty ones too, but all I see here, are people discussing very reasonably, & being very jealous, of what is obviously a very special Defender, that all of us would probably like to own. (incl. Me!).
Pickles.
Post #527677 29th Apr 2016 1:14am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>