↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Tyre wear - when to replace?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
Tyre wear - when to replace?
Just canvassing some opinion really. Obviously the absolute answer is 1.6mm as they're legal until then, but an AT with 1.6mm left would look a little odd.

I have BFG AT's with probably 5mm on the fronts and 7mm on the rears (need to measure)

THey get clagged up very quickly in wet mud. I know they're not MT's, but I suspect the low tread made a big difference.

So. When do people tend to replace their tyres?
Post #518689 29th Mar 2016 1:09am
YOLO110

Australia 
Probably long before they are anywhere worn out when they actually want something that looks 'cooler' I think! Very Happy YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #518699 29th Mar 2016 5:55am
I Like Old Skool

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi ST Coniston Green
In my humble opinion I think you should run those tyres for another mm or two (which on the BFG AT could be many thousands of miles) unless the off-road performance is a real issue. If anything happens in the meantime like tyre damage or puncture then don't fix, just replace the 4 all at once. Similarly if a tyre offer crops up that is just too good to miss then jump at it.
My experience with tyres is that a well running set that don't wobble or leak are to be treasured and if tyre damage is going to occur Sod's law dictates that it will happen to the new tyre (just this weekend had to replace a 6mth old Michelin off the family car due to unforeseen circumstances Sad )
The flip side of that argument is the awful tyres I have just removed from my 110 after 18mths of ownership. Insa remoulds which are usually pretty good but this set was terrible, out of shape and wobbled & shook the car at anything much above 45mph. Couldn't wait to get them off but had to wait for the right time to buy a set of 5 x BFG MTs as replacing tyres that have probably 8-10mm on them was hard to face. Can understand why the previous owner sold them on the vehicle rather than swapping them to his new Defender.......
Post #518706 29th Mar 2016 7:00am
leeds

United Kingdom 
With 5mm on front and 7 mm on the back I would be tempted to swop front to rear on diagonal corners.

Apart from tread depth look at the age of the tyre as well. BFG tyres tend to be hard wearing and can do a very large mileage. However like other tyres they can crack with age either between the tread blocks or close to the rim.

Once a tyre gets to about 7 years of use with age/uv degradation/thermal cracking they tend to be more prone to punctures etc.

With BFG M/T I tend to change them when they are down to about 5mm or 7 years old.

Brendan
Post #518727 29th Mar 2016 8:49am
miker

Swapping them is on the agenda for sure. Unfortunately my nuts have swollen Shocked so it's a job that will take me far longer than it should!
Post #518738 29th Mar 2016 9:32am
Arierep

Portugal 1995 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Alpine White
I generally replace my tyres when they are about 40% worn and sell the old ones (they tend to go quity easily).
Post #518783 29th Mar 2016 11:18am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
leeds wrote:
With 5mm on front and 7 mm on the back I would be tempted to swop front to rear on diagonal corners.

Don't forget to include the spare from early on in the swap.
Post #518801 29th Mar 2016 12:11pm
jimbob7

Depends entirely on your driving.For the road it's entirely SAFE enough.For off road,are you looking for extreme performance,if so replace after a couple of mm. Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #518847 29th Mar 2016 2:45pm
Rickydodah

And please don't forget the the tyres with the greater grip must go on the rear. I started with nothing and still have most of it left!
Post #518859 29th Mar 2016 3:34pm
YOLO110

Australia 
Not the rear... the front...

(here we go again lol!! Laughing ) YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #518876 29th Mar 2016 4:28pm
Rickydodah

I dare say that Christopher Columbus had a similar problem with those of the flat earth society who when given factual information still insisted that the earth was not round. Factual information is that, fact, not opinion or speculation. This forum is a real treasure trove of fact, opinion, speculation and conjecture the same as any forum. The problems arise is when those not adequately qualified post their opinions as fact. Those who are looking for guidance are often attracted to the opinion which most likely is close to their own and they disregard the truth. If this has no safety implications then I suppose it's okay to rely on opinion but when peoples wellbeing is affected then those who have an opinion should state that is what it is, an opinion not fact. I used to be a member of a forum of bomb disposal enthusiasts but the membership started to dwindle when posters with little knowledge started to post their opinions as fact........ Rolling with laughter

So the only benefit of having yours tyres incorrectly positioned is that after some time you're likely to understand the difference between oversteer and understeer. Bow down I started with nothing and still have most of it left!
Post #518885 29th Mar 2016 4:59pm
miker

Not looking for extreme performance, was just canvassing some opinions! If I can get my current tyres through the summer quite easily then I will, the most extreme off road they'll be likely to see is towing a trailer across a muddy campsite.

On a FWD car yeah, new ones on the back, backs to front, fronts in bin.

On a 4wd where they wear pretty evenly I don't know to be honest.
Post #518903 29th Mar 2016 5:50pm
Cetane

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Galway Green
Rickydodah wrote:
I dare say that Christopher Columbus had a similar problem with those of the flat earth society who when given factual information still insisted that the earth was not round. Factual information is that, fact, not opinion or speculation. This forum is a real treasure trove of fact, opinion, speculation and conjecture the same as any forum. The problems arise is when those not adequately qualified post their opinions as fact. Those who are looking for guidance are often attracted to the opinion which most likely is close to their own and they disregard the truth. If this has no safety implications then I suppose it's okay to rely on opinion but when peoples wellbeing is affected then those who have an opinion should state that is what it is, an opinion not fact. I used to be a member of a forum of bomb disposal enthusiasts but the membership started to dwindle when posters with little knowledge started to post their opinions as fact........ Rolling with laughter

So the only benefit of having yours tyres incorrectly positioned is that after some time you're likely to understand the difference between oversteer and understeer. Bow down

That's assuming that under braking both front and back axles retard the same amount. Which we know they don't. Load transfers to the front and that's why front brakes are usually considerably more meaty than the rears.

Newer tyres up front allow for shorter stoping distances as the compound is usually better. Also with greater tread depth up front they are better at clearing surface water for the rears.

The only reason I've ever heard of newer set on the rear is for vehicles with a Haldex centre diff.

Your "Facts" are questionable...
Post #518919 29th Mar 2016 6:21pm
YOLO110

Australia 
As I said... here we go again!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Love this forum! Cool YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #518927 29th Mar 2016 6:37pm
Cetane

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Galway Green
I'd normally keep quiet.

But the pompous nature of the post irked me. Posting in a verbose nature doesn't make you correct.

I'm just waiting to get called out on my "Qualifications."

Edited to add... Forgot about trolls. Maybe I took the bait.
Post #518932 29th Mar 2016 6:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>