↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > clutch pedal still squeaky after 3 in 1
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
o4dn

France 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
Quote:
That plastic insert in the pedal circled in yellow is a favourite spot as the insert can wear or breakdown. The spring coils themselves can also creak and groan too. There is a knack to removing the spring for a check over, it's more fiddly than difficult.

WD40 is more of a water repellent than a lubricant, if what you are using hasn't worked then try something else like a spray white grease but only use it sparingly inside the pedal box itself and keep the stuff away from the master cylinder!

If I were you I'd give the pushrod and rubber dust boot a thorough wipe over, the danger with using lubricant in that area is that some might get drawn into the cylinder bore which won't do the piston seals any favours.

+1

My clutch pedal has been squeaky for years!.. until last week.

Over the years, I tried pouring pretty much everything I could to make it smooth and silent again, until I found out that plastic clip was gone on mine (I then remembered finding bits of plastic on my footwell a few years ago...).

I ordered the part (CLP3180), took me a couple of hours to replace, greased everything (including the coil spring) with Teflon grease compatible with plastic parts which wouldn't damage the plastic or rubber seals) and also, while at it, readjusted the biting point for the clutch to be higher, so that de-clutching would happen sooner.

As a result, the clutch is now completely silent, feels very smooth and the adjustment also improved gear change, feels as good as (or better) than new...

Admittedly, putting the coil spring back in place was a real pain! “A Land Rover immobilized is a moral defeat for the driver and bad publicity for the vehicle, […] it's up to you to do justice to your Land Rover!” - Land Rover Driving Technique.
--
2009 2.4 Puma Defender 90 SW
1979 Land Rover Series 3 88"
Post #519553 31st Mar 2016 1:14pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
OK,

One last try on Friday, I really hate the noise it make (wife and kids think its fine) but me... nope have to sort it.

So Greased the pedal spring everywhere I could head under dash, screw driver opening the spring a little as I pushed the clutch down with hand and spread grease over it. I needed 3 hands but the annoyance that is this squeak I managed..

Then head under engine in clutch box again !! more grease (cough cough a few squirts...)

Result......

Its oooh sooo quite Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Lets see how long this lasts !!!
Post #520873 4th Apr 2016 4:11pm
Fabio

Portugal 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Post #600130 8th Feb 2017 5:56pm
justinp

United Kingdom 
What an excellent forum this is Thumbs Up

I just spayed some WD40 on my clutch pedal spring and under the plate held by 6 screws on the master cylinder and my pedal is smooth and quiet again Smile

I've no doubt that the benefit of WD40 will be short lived so I'll get some spray grease in ready for next time. Now gone - 2012 2.2 110 DC XS
Post #613402 30th Mar 2017 9:10pm
L110CDL

England 
Scotm wrote:
I sprayed mine with lithium grease from the inside and this worked a treat.

+1 Thumbs Up This has always worked for me on my clutch and my accelerator pedal Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #613408 30th Mar 2017 9:28pm
El Rey

Australia 
Happyoldgit wrote:

WD40 is more of a water repellent than a lubricant, if what you are using hasn't worked then try something else like a spray white grease but only use it sparingly inside the pedal box itself and keep the stuff away from the master cylinder!

If I were you I'd give the pushrod and rubber dust boot a thorough wipe over, the danger with using lubricant in that area is that some might get drawn into the cylinder bore which won't do the piston seals any favours.

If I understand you correctly - what about the folk who put in a grease nipple and fill up the box with grease? Wouldn't that inundate the whole thing with lubricant?
Post #689491 28th Feb 2018 4:40am
agentmulder

Kuwait 
The grease gobs drop down on to your foot before it goes up that far Thumbs Up Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #689493 28th Feb 2018 7:16am
Rosco

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Scott, did your squeak come back? I need to sort mine as its been doing it for months Mad 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
2002 - Black Discovery II - Gone
2014 - Montalcino Red 110 XS SW
Post #689505 28th Feb 2018 9:28am
El Rey

Australia 
agentmulder wrote:
The grease gobs drop down on to your foot before it goes up that far Thumbs Up

Wonderful! But to follow on, doesn't that mean installing a nipple and pumping in grease is not much good, since the grease won't get up onto some of the mechanism?
Post #689566 28th Feb 2018 12:57pm
El Rey

Australia 
Took the cover off the box in the engine bay.

Warning to anybody else out there - in my MY2015 110 the gasket made it bloody hard to prise the cover off. For a little while I thought it wasn't going to come away. I ended up having to put some needle nose pliers down one screw hole and lever it up. Then I was worried I was going to tear the gasket as it slowly came away because it was stuck down so firmly.

And a magnetized screwdriver is your friend when you're putting the screws back in. It's a fiddly space and there's a fair risk of one or more screws disappearing into the engine bay (and hopefully down onto the ground).

Anyway long story short, that's not the source of my squeaks. I lubed it all up and the squeak is still there and still definitely coming from somewhere very close to the clutch pedal.

Will take the insulation cover off inside the cabin next and give the spring a go.
Post #689902 1st Mar 2018 11:17am
nosnibod

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
I've tried everything everyone here has suggested. None of it worked.

However what did work was greasing the main pedal pivot - and no it doesn't mean taking everything apart.

If you feel down the inside of the pedal box - from inside the engine bay, you will feel the end of the shaft that the pedal rotates on. It's hollow, and seems to have grease ports inside it out to the bearing surface.

The end of that shaft is in fact threaded for a grease nipple but LR - in their wisdom - just bung some sealant in there instead.

If you prise the sealant out, put a grease nipple in, you can inject grease into the pedal pivot.

It's been covered on here before:-

http://www.defender2.net/forum/post469048.html

And here for more photos:-

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showth...utch-pedal Dave
Gracie - 2015 110 XS County Station Wagon
Post #689915 1st Mar 2018 12:34pm
El Rey

Australia 
Now I finally get it. I thought the nipple would direct the grease into the box - but it's into the shaft.

Cheers for the update. Do you have any notions how to remove the silicon from the thread so the nipple can screw in - without taking the whole assembly out?
Post #689928 1st Mar 2018 1:08pm
nosnibod

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
There wasn't that much sealant in there - in my case a fingernail extracted it easily. Dave
Gracie - 2015 110 XS County Station Wagon
Post #689932 1st Mar 2018 1:19pm
El Rey

Australia 
Cheers - will give this a crack once I have a nipple.
Post #689935 1st Mar 2018 1:24pm
Lem

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
Great forum!

If you don’t want to wait for the grease nipple, you can try this.......I had the silicon sealant plugging up that hole so I poked a small skewer into the middle. It created a hole big enough to insert a plastic nozzle from the lithium grease spray can. The can was upside down but still managed to get a few bursts directly inside.
The squeak took a few days of driving but it slowly disappeared.

I tried all this after replacing the clutch pedal spring and bushes (that was a real pain), but it did not solve the issue, I was convinced that the noise was coming from the spring. I also tried rubber grease etc etc. I was ready to go the grease nipple and thought I’d give the lithium spray a go.

Hope you get it sorted.
Post #691139 5th Mar 2018 1:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>