↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Round Europe and back again
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Shroppy

United Kingdom 1986 Defender 130 V8 Petrol HCPU Aintree Green
Round Europe and back again
A friend and I are planning a trip around Europe this summer whilst on our gap year.
We've given ourselves 2 months beginning at the end of June.
The ferry to Bilbao is booked just hoping the defender is ready!
We have a rough idea of a route - Bilbao-Pyrenees-Barcelona-Rome via the coast-Croatia-Hungary-Germany-Netherlands-Belgium-Calais-home.
Any tips, ideas of where to visit or input in general would be greatly appreciated.
My Defender is a 110 200tdi I rebuilt onto a galvanized chassis last year and is due a conversion to utility station wagon body from 3 door van before the trip. We'll be staying in the roof tent and living out of the vehicle for the most part. Any useful mods?
Josh
Post #514685 15th Mar 2016 9:43pm
PumaPhil

Wales 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Aintree Green
We did a France Spain Morocco trip 4 years ago in a 200tdi, on a budget. My advice- pack the least amount of 'stuff' that you think you need. Then throw half of that stuff away. It's very easy to take too much when you think you have a whole vehicle to fill and then spend your whole holiday packing and unpacking your Landy.
Post #515894 18th Mar 2016 11:09pm
Shroppy

I must admit I'd already thought "we'll have loads of room" what bits of kit would you say were must haves?
Post #515895 18th Mar 2016 11:15pm
R1200GS

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
Think about Morocco, cause it's easy otherwise 😁
Post #515898 18th Mar 2016 11:53pm
JMG

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I did this a couple of years ago on my 1150GSA and look forward to redoing in the defender sometime soon.
I opted to go to Santander and hug the coast all the way down and up anthem down through Italy. That's a good route.
Defo best advice is keep clothes to one set on one clean one dirty, I'd 3 pants 3 t shirts etc, best bit of kit is a jetboil.
Post #515929 19th Mar 2016 9:35am
PumaPhil

Wales 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Aintree Green
I'd second R1200, and extend your trip to Morocco. It's so easy and much more of an adventure than Europe. Plus when you return you can say you drove your Land Rover to Africa!
You'll appreciate a light vehicle over filling it with lots of gadgets. A comfy nights sleep (sounds like that's sorted with the roof tent), somewhere to cook, (mounted on the back door works well in my opinion), couple of camp chairs and a bottle opener and your sorted.
A local camping trip before you leave to test your set up will give you lots of ideas of what you need and what to leave at home.
Post #515932 19th Mar 2016 9:58am
Shroppy

I'll see if I can create a bit more time in order to do Morocco, I've been in the last but that wasn't by Land Rover sadly Big Cry I appreciate the advise re a camping trip beforehand, hadn't thought of that but will definitely be worth doing!
Post #521786 7th Apr 2016 7:35am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
I'd second what's been said above. If you're going to bother going as far as Bilbao stick around that region for a bit (gorgeous, green, amazing food and totally different to what most people know as Spain...) then head down through country (not much in the middle, although Madrid is beautiful), swing by Granada or Seville depending on your angle of attack and then pop on a ferry at Algeciras and get over to Morocco. Easy peasy.

Morocco is cheap and an entirely different world to Europe. Tangiers is grimy in parts, but improved in others, but you're a day's drive from Marrakech through some stunning scenery. Then another day to the Coast (sleep and drive on the beach) or the Atlas (pretend you're in StarWars).....Even if only staying for a week, you'll have a blast. And on your return Spain itself has so much to offer, Cordoba, Seville, Valencia, etc if you ignore the obvious coastal strip around the Costas.

If you still wanted to keep Italy and Croatia in the mix, (and you should) it might mean scrapping Holland, Belgium and Germany, but they're so close to the UK you could do them at another time or one at a time as long weekends. But the Brucey bonus is that you get to return from Croatia via the Alps which also absolutely cannot be missed.... Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #521799 7th Apr 2016 9:04am
Mountain_man

Wales 
Hi Stoppy. If you are free in May you could do a lot worse than bring your truck along to http://thebigoutdoors.org/, give it a shakedown, try out the camping side of things and go to some seminars about how to best kit out your truck for overland travel. It would be a great opportunity to meet people who have done similar and pick their brains. Going to be a damn good social meet too Smile
Post #521800 7th Apr 2016 9:20am
KGH

United States 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
MountainMan-The Big Outdoors looks interesting! My schedule for work is filling up, but this would be great if there is time.

To me that is a small expo. Great to have everything provided with organized events, training, and gear in one place.

Now as for camping, what is it with Europe? Here in Germany it is just too....organized.

What I look for:
No restaurants.
No play areas for the kiddies.
No swimming pools.
No neighbors whom I can hear snoring at night.

Hoping to get some Alps wildcamping in over the next few months. 2013 110 - Keswick Green
1995 ExRAF 110 Utility
1986 127 HCPU
1985 110 PU
2012 Disco4
Post #541407 19th Jun 2016 6:50am
Mountain_man

Wales 
Alpine wild camping is great. Good luck. I can give you some ideas for nice places to camp if you like. As for the Big Outdoors, it was really good. So good we are planning another one for October 13th - 16th. Places still available Smile

thebigoutdoors.org
Post #541552 19th Jun 2016 6:00pm
KGH

United States 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
With work permitting, we will drive over. Schedule is key. It looks like fun, and we always like meeting other Rover fans (casualties? Delusionals?, lol) 2013 110 - Keswick Green
1995 ExRAF 110 Utility
1986 127 HCPU
1985 110 PU
2012 Disco4
Post #541690 20th Jun 2016 4:12am
StephenO

Scotland 
Not sure how your defender performs on long drives but given that and possibly encountering different climates I think the waterless coolant solution is a good idea, also I'm sure you've thought about taking a couple of spare filters etc, couple of gerry cans as well just in case Wink 2007 Defender Puma Tonga Green

2015 Range Rover Sport Autobiography Corrie Grey
1968 Series 2a Bronze Green
1995 Defender 90 Coniston Green
2005 Discovery 3 Zambezi Silver
Post #541691 20th Jun 2016 4:29am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1