Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Crufts - German Shepherd - 'horrific breeding
Well following on from the poisoning incident last year:

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic35595.html?highlight=crufts

we have this for 2016:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/owner...er-7557418

Don't know what to make of the Kennel Club at times...
Post #514509 15th Mar 2016 12:31pm
RED-DOT

Scotland 
My GF was at Crufts this year and the crowd were almost rioting that dog had even won a show never mind the six or so enroute to Crufts. A big hoo ha was made and Clair Balding and a vet tried to explain un successfully Crufts position. She also said the judging was atrotious with some referring to notes and not handling the dogs frames, some even not observing the trot around. Time it was dropped. 2008 RS4 gone, 123d M Sport, and a Puma 90 XS..
Post #514514 15th Mar 2016 12:46pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Big fuss on social media about it and rightly so. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #514518 15th Mar 2016 1:06pm
alby

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Santorini Black
Shocking.

My parents have had many GSDs over the years, thankfully none of them looked like that. They all had their own health problems over the years, but not that level of skeletal deformity.

This was raised as an issue with crufts in 2008, how can animals with obvious skeletal deformities still be touted as best in breed 8years later.

Wake up people, we are supposed to be a nation of animal lovers so let's stop breeders from deliberately selectively breeding dogs to enhance and exaggerate muscular and physical and skeletal deformities which are well known and proven to cause chronic and acute health problems.

Sadly It's not just GSDs with spinal and hip problems it's pugs, it's ridge backs, it's Bulldogs that can't breathe, it's King Charles spaniels with cranial pressure etc etc etc.
Post #514577 15th Mar 2016 4:34pm
g-mack

United Kingdom 
the one organisation that is supposed to be "for" dogs and is the only reason these dogs are like this is the kennel club!!!!
they set the breed standard !!!! should be abolished!!! Evil or Very Mad My 109 thread

my youtube channel
Post #514591 15th Mar 2016 5:21pm
Rickydodah

Quote:
the one organisation that is supposed to be "for" dogs and is the only reason these dogs are like this is the kennel club!!!!
they set the breed standard !!!! should be abolished!!!

This is entirely correct. The KC in my opinion has become as misguided (nearly said corrupt) as the RSPCA with the wellbeing of the dogs becoming secondary. Recently they started to advocate the breeding of non registered dogs with those registered to try and widen the gene pool of some breeds which have been badly affected by breeding to the KC standard. This simply doesn't seem to be happening as the KC don't appear to have radically rewritten those standards. Their byword fit for function will only come about when the standards return to what the dogs represented originally. Mad I started with nothing and still have most of it left!
Post #514605 15th Mar 2016 6:20pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
It's absalute disgrace what these breeders are doing to the animals as its not just dogs it's every animal that gets shown or used Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Post #514637 15th Mar 2016 8:03pm
stanley

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
I went this year on Friday , Gundog day, 2 flatcoats bitches , imho , were lame on the front , both put through! Disgusting!
For the record I know nothing about flatcoats so if I can see they are lame a judge certainly can!
As much as I like Crufts I feel I cannot support it anymore so Friday was my last ever visit !
Post #514651 15th Mar 2016 8:33pm
stanley

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
So you breed a absolutely deformed unhappy dog for £100 and the prestige of a crufts win?
Post #514652 15th Mar 2016 8:36pm
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
Farming has this problem though to a much lesser extent than in dogs. We breed texel cross but our aim is for a traditional style sheep that is both big yet relatively gracile if that makes sense. In comparison the current fashion is for short, dumpy double muscled animals with big broad heads and shoulders, which in and of itself isn't a problem until you try to get lambs out and you suddenly find they are the wrong shape to fit through the birth canal easily like they ought to. Or that as adults the sheep can't help but grunt when they breathe because their external shape doesn't match their internal structure. I could go on.

The problem is when competition and fashion are brought to bear on any livestock, the natural form that years of gentle evolution sharpened to suit a given environment is lost and the animals ability to function correctly and live healthily are thrown away and for what? Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #514669 15th Mar 2016 9:08pm
mick

Totally agree it's the same with the horses the shires are bred to show today they wouldn't have a good days work in them these days
Post #514675 15th Mar 2016 9:21pm
Alphabear

Wales 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Scotia Grey
Any blame here rests with the judge on the day who is under contract to judge to the breed standard. It's clear from the video that the dog was not a good example of the breed despite the fact that it has apparently good hips and is otherwise sound. German shepherds have been going this way for a few decades now with breeders and judges doing their own thing. If the KC is serious about tackling the problem, they need to start withdrawing tickets from the breed for a few years until they begin to conform to what is acceptable behaviour.

On the other side of the coin, it's easy for everyone to judge Crufts and dog showing in general when there is a sensationalist story like this. There were 22000 dogs at the show this year. I was there showing on Saturday with one of my dogs in a breed where movement is valued and a quality dog was put through to the group (not mine unfortunately).

You won't read about the good stuff, only the things which get headlines. I see none cares to comment about the wonderful best in show Westie for example.
Post #514693 15th Mar 2016 9:59pm
mick

It was a good dog that won but the Gordon setter was a proper dog Imo
Post #514697 15th Mar 2016 10:05pm
Muddybigdog

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Compare the dogs that were shown and won their classes 100 years ago to those on show and won their classes this year, some look like different breeds even though they are meant to have the same standard. The kennel club and some of the breeding fraternity have a lot to answer. Jumped ship to reliability - Mitsubishi L200
Puma 90 XS - Sold
D3 - 2.7 S x2 (both Sold)
Freelander 2 HSE - Sold
Freelander 1 - Sold
Disco 2 - Sold
Post #514703 15th Mar 2016 10:21pm
Alphabear

Wales 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Scotia Grey
mick wrote:
It was a good dog that won but the Gordon setter was a proper dog Imo

Yes it might have been but it was a shame that the Group Judge was the sister of the breeder. Only in the dog world😒
Post #514706 15th Mar 2016 10:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>