↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Which Barbour jacket?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
lukev01

England 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Which Barbour jacket?
Ok so my goretex jacket is finally beyond repair

I like the look of the "Trooper" style waxed jacket but what would others recommend? 1970 Series 2A 88"
Post #513402 11th Mar 2016 11:32pm
ginjez

2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 ST Santorini Black
I love Barbour jackets and I do own a couple BUT the waxed type are not particularly warm and they hold moisture inside which can make them cold. Modern materials are much better performing and keeping you dry and warm. If you like the look of a certain Barbour I'd say get it but have a modern outdoor coat for extreme weather
Post #513518 12th Mar 2016 1:46pm
RED-DOT

Scotland 
Barbour are now a fashion item and not really seen in the world of feildsports. Harkila, Fjallraven are more up to date and look better imo. 2008 RS4 gone, 123d M Sport, and a Puma 90 XS..
Post #513523 12th Mar 2016 2:24pm
stanley

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Have a look on the John Norris website , often have some decent bargains and brilliant to deal with !
http://mobile.johnnorris.co.uk/shop/ty_984...le/?page=1
Post #513527 12th Mar 2016 2:37pm
Petronius4

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
You can't beat a Barbour in my opinion. Yes its never gonna compete with the Norwegian made arctic-cold-resilient jackets but then again we don't really get that here do we?

Layers is the right way to do it. I have a Barbour Bushman (has some internal padding) and if I need to I wear the removable lining (you know the black padded thing thats now so fashionable to wear on its own) and sometimes a fleece - tho not often cos its just too damn warm then.

I wear it pretty much all year round - tho in summer even on its own its a bit warm - and because you wear layers you just strip one out depending on the temp outside.

Have had it for years, had it re-waxed a couple of times and its dead easy to clean - just hang it up outside and hose if off!!

Cant beat 'em in for UK general conditions in my opinion. -------------------------------
👲🏻 1986 ex-Military 90 NAD 2.5 Soft Top. Sold
🇬🇧 2015 Defender 90 - Ripon Landrover Heritage 006
Post #513531 12th Mar 2016 2:52pm
Rickydodah

After fifty years of Barbour ownership I'm now a convert to modern textiles and waterproof liners. The wax jacket of old is not the same as it once was and are increasingly harder to maintain and reproof. I bought a really comfortable jacket from Le Chameau, one reason it was comfortable was it was 100% cotton with a liner, it was great when new but cotton is really difficult to rewaterproof and needs to be done frequently, in the rainy season about every three weeks which was costing me a fortune on Nikwax. Depending on what you want from a coat would be the foundation of the choice, my "smart" waterproof is made by Craghopper. My working coats need to be tough, Harkila are very good but have a price tag to match, the last two I've bought have been made by Deerhunter, a Danish company but like most manufacturers the coats are probably made in Asia somewhere, nevertheless very good quality. I opt for the coats which are reinforced with a material called Hitena for extra protection. If you want clothing for shooting, particularly stalking then you'll need something which is quiet and doesn't rustle, then out comes the tweed, warm, waterproof with a liner and smart and acceptable. There's many online retailers the aforementioned John Norris is a good place to start as they're likely to be having a sale around now, Hoggs of Fife are also well respected. Thumbs Up I started with nothing and still have most of it left!
Post #513535 12th Mar 2016 2:58pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Do I get bragging rights by saying I used to get through at least one Barbour waxed coat a year, as in totally wear them out? Thought not.

I now cherish my remaining years old Solway Zipper, Beaufort & Northumbria coats, they are like old doggy friends ...and just as smelly.

RD is probably right in that the Nordic types are the best investment now. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.

Last edited by Happyoldgit on 12th Mar 2016 5:02pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #513536 12th Mar 2016 3:03pm
Rickydodah

Quote:
I now cherish my remaining years old Solway Zipper, Beaufort & Northumbria coats, they are like old doggy friends ...and just as smelly.

Me too HOG, I've a Northumbria hanging in the kennels that I bought in1979 the same day I finally succumbed to buying a semi-auto Beretta. The gun still works fine but the coat has gradually shrunk Whistle and unfortunately no longer meets in the middle, just can't bring myself to get rid. Thumbs Up I started with nothing and still have most of it left!
Post #513541 12th Mar 2016 3:17pm
Butchers Boy

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
I have a Barbour LR wax cap! Not tested it on the rain yet I think as Red-Dot said 'Barbour are now a fashion item' not that I'm big on fashion I got it because I needed a decent cap & as a bonus its an LR cap! Think I look very fetching in it Whistle

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 2010 Defender 90 HT

The longer I live..... The better I was!
Post #513547 12th Mar 2016 3:32pm
keith

Scotland 
This is the one I have . Tokihito military .
http://www.endclothing.com/us/barbour-x-to...acket.html
Post #513563 12th Mar 2016 4:12pm
sako243

Wales 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
So how do the Norwegian ones hold up to rough handling? I would love a jacket that I can take on clays, lie in the mud at Bisley, not too hot for walking the dog but also survive crawling / smashing through brambles. Oh and ideally be usuable in rock climbing situations Whistle

I've tended to have an Arteryx hard shell which covers most bases but noisy for stalking, not a huge amount of padding and haven't risked taking it beating yet.

I get the feeling (no basis for it though) that the wax jackets would hold up better to pushing through brambles. Ed
82 Hotspur Sandringham 6x6
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #513587 12th Mar 2016 5:10pm
Alex1976

England 
If you want a good quality country coat to use rather than a fashion item then you should take a look at CountryCover.co.uk.

I have a coat from them that I have had about 6 years now and it is great. Very well made and tough.
Post #513681 12th Mar 2016 9:35pm
DuncanS

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
I have a sapper. I do love it, trouble is I bought it in a comfy size which isn't so comfy now! Sad North Cumbria Search and Rescue - Team Leader
Post #513684 12th Mar 2016 9:43pm
Pilgrimmick

United Kingdom 
Northumbria, I have had one for the last 20 years, still looking good. If not try the lighter version the border. 80" 1948
Lightweight V8
Bowler Tomcat
130 Station wagon
90 300tdi
(Santana PS10 pick up)
Range Rover L322 (Ful fat)
Post #513706 12th Mar 2016 11:01pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
Been thinking about wearing my HPX Drysuit for work recently can't seem to stay dry in any Gore-tex at the mo , my back & shoulders get the brunt of the rain & snow in my job Rolling Eyes
Post #513717 12th Mar 2016 11:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>