↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Gearbox removal
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
srod

Gearbox removal
Just started pulling my car apart to get to the clutch, decided to go down the gearbox out route...

1st question: does the exhaust have to come off? It looks doable without.

Haynes say intermediate section has to come off. Land Rover workshop manual says front pipe and intermediate. On my car, the front (down) pipe and intermediate are one continuous piece. Bolts on either ends looks like Censored .

Possibly breaking it between intermediate and rear section might be an option if a few degrees of movement are needed when separating engine and bellhousing. 3 nuts on front pipe and turbo look like a new chapter of pain, maybe!

Cheers!
Post #511046 5th Mar 2016 4:59pm
Fatboy Slim

Wales 
Take the front and mid sections off. Much easier with them out of the way. The nuts on the turbo are no bother. Good 15mm spanner and a couple of weetabix they'll be off in a flash.
Post #511051 5th Mar 2016 5:06pm
srod

Cheers - tried that, exhaust is now off - other than having to pull with all strength, it was easy! I love you man! Thumbs Up
Post #511076 5th Mar 2016 6:02pm
Fatboy Slim

Wales 
No dramas. Just looked at your location and realised it should be a bottle of irn bru not weetabix Thumbs Up Very Happy good luck with the job chap Thumbs Up
Post #511078 5th Mar 2016 6:06pm
srod

Well that was brutal, but I'm feeling like a bit of a hero... Very Happy

Gearbox off, clutch and flywheel change, gearbox on. Went for crane through tunnel and jack underneath as a backup, operated by the missus as her Mother's Day treat. All in it took one and two half days, including fixing a hoover and various other odd jobs, was ready in time for work today so well chuffed.

Safe to say it would have been impossible without getting that exhaust off!

Hardest part was at the beginning, dealing with stuffed fasteners on the centre tunnel, with the feeling that this was a sign of things to come and this should be the easy bit!

Struggled a bit getting the box free of the mounts and the mounts free of the chassis, and getting them back on again, sure there must be a knack, but I was tired, got there in the end.

Separating gearbox and engine took a bit of effort, coupled with the feeling of reaching a point of no return, and the fear that getting them back together would be even harder, but actually turned out to be easier.

Flywheel bolts were tough to undo, and do up, torque setting is pretty much the limit of my strength with the length of bar I could use in the space available.

Also worth noting routing of looms to ECU - I tied them out of the way to save trapping them, but with the gearbox in place it was impossible to get them back to where they should go, so wasted a bit of time having to unplug and rewire everything.

Opted to just drop it down on the floor under the car, was plenty of room to get all the work done:

Great fun!
Post #511752 7th Mar 2016 9:05pm
Fatboy Slim

Wales 
Well done chap Thumbs Up always good to see someone getting stuck in and doing a proper job!! Proper land rover spirit. You'll do the next one in half the time. Just out of interest did you take the bottom studs out of the moutings? Makes it a hell of a lot easier if you do........
Post #511758 7th Mar 2016 9:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1