↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Law on tyres/wheels protruding from the arch.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
fekete

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
Law on tyres/wheels protruding from the arch.
Thought this may be of some use, the law on how much your wheels/tyres can protrude from your arches. Whistle

Link to full regs: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUri...49:EN:HTML

Council Directive 78/549/EEC of 12 June 1978 on the approximation of the laws of the Member States relating to the wheel guards of motor vehicles

2.1.2. The rear of the wheel guards must not terminate above a horizontal plane 150 mm above the axis of rotation of the wheels (as measured at the wheel centres) and furthermore the intersection of the edge of the wheel guard with this plane (point A, figure 1) must lie outside the median longitudinal plane of the tyre, or in the case of twin wheels the median longitudinal plane of the outermost tyre.

2.1.3. The contour and location of the wheel guards shall be such that they are as close to the tyre as possible ; and in particular within the part formed by the radial planes referred to in 2.1.1, they shall satisfy the following requirements: 2.1.3.1. the projection - situated in the vertical plane of the tyre axis - of the depth (p) of the outer edge of the wheel guards, measured in the vertical longitudinal plane passing through the centre of the tyre, must be at least 30 mm. This depth (p) may be reduced progressively to zero at the radial planes specified in 2.1.1;

In short, the wheel must NOT protrude more than 30mm past the edge of the mudguard.

It's also in the MOT regs

(d) wheels, if there are no pointed or sharp features which projects beyond the external plane of the wheel rim, no wing nuts are fitted and there are no projections beyond the vehicle body plan form apart from tyres and wheel discs, (including central wheel securing nuts) if the latter have a radius of curvature of not less than 30mm and do not project by more than 30mm beyond the vehicle body plan form ; Whistle NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY

Last edited by fekete on 10th Nov 2010 6:31pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #44887 10th Nov 2010 6:16pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Very interesting, but the link doesn't seem to be working!
Post #44888 10th Nov 2010 6:25pm
fekete

Here you go Thumbs Up
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUri...49:EN:HTML NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #44889 10th Nov 2010 6:30pm
Lorryman100

fekete, fitting these would probably make the tyres you have legal in the sense they will be conforming with this law? Or am I reading it wrong Embarassed
Post #50242 30th Dec 2010 11:21am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
fekete

Hi Brian what the law says is that when you look down from above your wheel arch you should not be able to see the top of the wheel ? the regs say you can have 30mm sticking out ?..... I have been pulled and told to get extended wheel arches.....Which i have got but not fitted yet.....they are still in the back of the landy ready for my next pull Whistle...mine stick out about 75mm Mr. Green NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #50253 30th Dec 2010 11:38am
Lorryman100

Cheers Karl, what arches did you get? I ask because I'm in the process of getting some 305's Wink Wink Whistle
Post #50255 30th Dec 2010 11:41am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
fekete

Hi Brian i got a set of pacer wheel arch spats from Canada when i was over there they are about 1-3/4" ill get a pic up in a bit Thumbs Up NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY

Last edited by fekete on 30th Dec 2010 12:15pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #50258 30th Dec 2010 11:45am
fekete

Here you go Brian...You can get them in about 4 different sizes
http://www.truckcustomizers.com/products/p...lares.html
But i got mine from here
http://www.national4wdonline.com/cart.php NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #50261 30th Dec 2010 11:58am
Lorryman100

Me like Thumbs Up A much better idea for fitting them than the terrafirmas ones. Have you sized them up yet or checked for fitting clearances? Are you going to bother, or just leave them in the back incase you get stopped Whistle
Post #50266 30th Dec 2010 12:24pm
fekete

The problem with the terrafirmas is you have to drill the bodywork Big Cry and i think they look Censored ......the pacer ones will look so much better....you will have no problems with clearances..... fitting them i think is going to be a little tricky as there is not much of a lip on the original spat to drill to ? if i ever have to fit them i think i would go down the route of a strong contact adhesive and a few pop rivets Thumbs Up

there just staying in the back in case i get stopped...I've been past lots of coppers and they have just looked but there was one that pulled me he was ok but told me they were illegal and asked me to sort it out i think he just wanted a closer look at the landy Whistle NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #50271 30th Dec 2010 12:40pm
fekete

Here is a pic of some fitted but they have removed the original spats but it will give you an idea how they will sit on the original spat and still keep the shape of the wheel arch

Click image to enlarge
 NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #50274 30th Dec 2010 12:52pm
Lorryman100

That's what I would do, remove the originals carefully and fit the replacements in lieu of the originals Thumbs Up I play golf with a couple of boys in traffic occasionally and have brought this subject up in the past, there comments seem to be that it is expected to be seen on a defender as they are for off road use. As for getting stopped for having them would depend on the individual officer's point of view towards them. It was pointed out that I would need to be more careful of avoiding vehicle inspectorate checkpoints than a random stop from the police. I will wait and see by how much the tyres stick out before going down this road and I will carry a copy of the regs showing the 30mm rule. It may even be worth booking the car in for a pre mot inspection too see if they get picked up, and if they don't I have the paperwork to prove it's legal. Unfortunately this wont work for you mate, 75mm Bow down Bow down Whistle you probably only need the defender to carry your cahoony's about as they are thiiiiiiissssssss big Rolling with laughter
Post #50278 30th Dec 2010 1:04pm
RLD

United Kingdom 
guess who

RLD fabricator of Hidden Winch Mount for D3/4 roof racks jerry can holders CB aerial mounts and much more and agent for Helsport Tents and gear
Post #50291 30th Dec 2010 3:09pm
RLD

United Kingdom 
RLD wrote:
guess who silly me wrong thread Embarassed Embarassed

RLD fabricator of Hidden Winch Mount for D3/4 roof racks jerry can holders CB aerial mounts and much more and agent for Helsport Tents and gear
Post #50293 30th Dec 2010 3:11pm
fekete

Some fat bloke in a mask with man boobs Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #50305 30th Dec 2010 4:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>