↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Overlanding from Switzerland to Mongolia
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Overlanding from Switzerland to Mongolia
"Filmmaker Milo Zanecchia spent 90 days traveling from Switzerland to Mongolia in a Land Rover Defender and a Toyota Land Cruiser, and documented the entire journey. Latitude 45 - Switzerland to Mongolia is an incredible look at the trip, filled with stunning visuals from the 11 countries the team visited along the way, that gets at the true meaning of overlanding."

I'm guessing there's more if you follow the links...

http://www.outsideonline.com/2057421/overl...d-mongolia[/img]
Post #508391 26th Feb 2016 11:17am
g-mack

United Kingdom 
what a great website Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up My 109 thread

my youtube channel
Post #508402 26th Feb 2016 11:48am
Phil VM2.5

Belgium 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Hi,
Very nice !
Thanks
Phil current : defender 110 sw 2.2 puma 2012 and 230.000km today and
again my Range Rover VM2.5 engine from 1992 and 528.000km today.

One ten 1988 to 1992
1987 BMW GS80
One Ten from 1984 to 1987
One Ten from 1983 to 1984
Serie 3 109 from 1980 to 1983
from 1974 Jeep CJ3B and CJ6
Post #508406 26th Feb 2016 12:13pm
camelman

United Kingdom 
Brings back memories of when I lived out there Smile

to be honest , a defender wasn't the most suitable vehicle out there at the time (15 years ago), zero access to spares and very little access to diesel as all of the locals ran Russian UAZ jeeps / vans which were all petrol.
We ended up by a Russian jeep to travel in. 
Post #508410 26th Feb 2016 12:56pm
camelman

United Kingdom 
or you could do it yourself and raise some cash for charity!

http://www.theadventurists.com/mongol-rally/ 
Post #508412 26th Feb 2016 1:04pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
If you're thinking of driving to Mongolia (it's great) and want to support a charity I would suggest these guys: http://www.charityrallies.org/ - unlike "The Adventurists" the aim is to take useful vehicles, not line anyone's pockets apart from whatever charity you choose to support, you don't have a set route or local support in each country... much better Smile

I went with a couple of friends in 2013 in an LDV Convoy minibus and had a great time. One rather memorable occasion in Kazakhstan, we'd got a map and it showed roads all the way from our border entry to the exit. The tracks got worse and worse, eventually we saw a small village ahead of us. Pulling in to ask for directions, via sign language at fist until they found a young girl who could translate, one of the guys there said he was going the direction we were headed and we could follow him, but we'd have to wait until after they'd had tea. Got invited in for tea which was rather jolly and got chatting (via sign language) with a chap next to me.

Chap goes "Have you got a shotgun?" "No". Concerned expression. "Have you got 4 wheel drive?" "No". Very concerned expression. "Have you got lots of ground clearance?" "Not really". "Hmm. You're not going that way then". "But our maps say there's a road?". "Yes, but you still can't go that way, go back to Russia, the roads are much better there".

So after tea we turned round and had about 4 villagers along for the ride back to the town. That was handy as they knew where to turn off the road to avoid the corrugations and where to go back on it again. Then we got to the town, and were happily driving along, ignoring the car behind us hooting its horn (usually just means "I'm about to overtake, don't swerve round that pothole") when a couple of cars swoop in front, another behind and we get boxed in. Uh oh...

But then a load of police get out of the cars, and a police van and pickup turn up, also blocking us in. We'd accidentally been in a police chase in an LDV minibus half way across the town Laughing Thankfully we had the locals with us still, one of whom could speak English. What we'd have done without her I don't know, but she was brilliant, managed to sort the police out and then gave us her mobile number in case we got in a muddle again.
Post #508431 26th Feb 2016 2:10pm
Supacat

camelman wrote:

to be honest , a defender wasn't the most suitable vehicle out there at the time (15 years ago), zero access to spares and very little access to diesel as all of the locals ran Russian UAZ jeeps / vans which were all petrol.

Seem to recall that the British Embassy in Ulaanbaatar ran a fleet of white Defenders, but that was, cough, maybe 30 years ago?

Used to send one down to the train station to deliver/collect the mail from the Trans Siberian.
Post #508444 26th Feb 2016 3:05pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
camelman wrote:

I worked in the middle of the Gobi for an Oil company in Mongolia and had a few visitors at the camp ... once we had the Camel Rally team turn up on a recon for breakfast and then John Mann wandered in one night researching his book.... I took him all over the area in my Russian 4x4 ambulance for a couple of days - it was great off road and never got me stuck, unlike the Nissan patrol that the drill crew managed to regularly get stuck

I used to see the brit embassy defenders when traveling though UB - made a change from the Russian 4x4s. (maybe saw you there Supercat!!)
Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #508509 26th Feb 2016 8:37pm
Supacat

I'm upset now - you never waved. Sad
Post #508520 26th Feb 2016 8:56pm
camelman

United Kingdom 
The British Embassy had moved on to Toyota Camry's by the time I turned up there.
I was with Raleigh and we ran a couple of white 110's.

The Russian ambulances and Uaz jeeps were great as long as you bought an old one.
We made the mistake of buying a new one which hadn't had the 10 years or so needed to sort all the problems out Smile 
Post #508601 26th Feb 2016 11:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1