Home > In Car Electronics > Warn roof light wiring
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Thor

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Warn roof light wiring
After a bit of advice

I have 4 warn roof lights and a rear work light to go on my rack, as per G4 spec. I am not an electronic guru by any stretch of the imagination. But have been quoted £550 + VAT to have them fitted. Which I feel is a quite high.

Click image to enlarge

Firstly, your thoughts on the price? I'd be supplying the lights, brand new with looms, that would need extending.

Secondly if I, and a chum who knows more than I about electrics, give it a go what would I need? My mate lives 100 miles away so I'm keen on getting everything I need bought before I go to his for fitting to save the stress of doing the journey and not having the right type of relay etc?

The lights are Warn SDB-160 Dual Beams and I would like to be able to switch the front lights on with out the need to have the main beam on (for use as work lights/photo lighting etc), but have it legal so that the lights switch off when I turn main beam off. Can this be done? If so what would I need?

I thinking of having the switch gear like this (with out the beacon switch) or possibly carling switches if they fit in the same place.

Click image to enlarge

Could any one please point me in the direction of;

The relays I'd need and quantity?

Some decent quality wiring?

Some decent weather proof connections?

Your advice on the above, and anything related is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance. Strong people are harder to kill and generally more useful!
Post #503116 10th Feb 2016 3:48pm
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
£550 + vat is quite steep. It's a bit of faff but not £650 worth of faff! Parts would come to ~£80 if you do it sensibly.

I'll post up a more comprehensive list and a wiring drawing when I'm back at my PC.
Post #503157 10th Feb 2016 5:11pm
Thor

Miker,

That'd be great thanks! Thumbs Up Strong people are harder to kill and generally more useful!
Post #503201 10th Feb 2016 6:44pm
Brewstop

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Zambezi Silver
Do you have a sensible source for the lights? I'd like 4..... Sandy
Post #503205 10th Feb 2016 7:05pm
Thor

Brewstop, unfortunately not mate. I paid the full price from flatdoguk, about £360 a pair if I recal. I've had them about 9 months but have been sorting other bits out in readiness, like re coating my rack. Keep an eye on eBay as I've since seen them pop up on there, normally just the lights, no loom. Which is no drama as the loom supplied is designed for bumper mounting.

Once on and in position they will be secured to my rack with a spot weld or something similar.

I'm just trying to my act together on the electrics, 4 warn lights, a rear work light and a warn winch all needs wiring up!!! Strong people are harder to kill and generally more useful!
Post #503213 10th Feb 2016 7:22pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
What does the wiring loom come with? Much useful? The description seems to say it comes with relays but I can't find any instructions online and there's the little button pod thing too. The other things that complicates it is that they have two beams.

What you'd usually do when adding a set of lights that want on/off/on with main beam control is this.
Fused power feed from battery to power relay, out from relay to lights.
Small fused feed from existing high beam and permanent live to three way on/off/on switch somewhere accessible to control everything. The output of that will then go to the control terminal on the relay.
Earths to the relay and the lights.

Simple, but a bit of faffing around wiring it in neatly.

Are you wanting to switch between the two beams?
Post #503249 10th Feb 2016 8:41pm
Thor

The loom has some usable bits, a couple of relays etc. Each pair come with a loom and button pod.

As the lights have high and low, yeah I'd like to be able to select which one I want. Especially after forking out for them.

The issue I have is that mine is an actual 2003 G4 event 110 (BD52CTV) But non of them were exactly the same, it seems it totally depends which individual built it. Some have the light wiring inside the snorkel - mine didn't. Some used the a Warn light switch, some didn't etc. I'd like my switches 'built in' similar to the pic above rather than the pod 'stuck, on. I'm aiming to do it as best I can, as original yet usable as I can without breaking the bank.

I'll have a grey G4 for a while while I save for paint, new rubber seals and door repairs etc.

How she did look, and will do again one day.

Click image to enlarge

In the past she's been stripped and turned grey. I'm turning her back. I've done the internals - mantec window guards and storage, the roof rack, snorkel, G4 plaques, boost alloys (though black as they were a good price). I've bought the right lights and winch that need hooking up.

As she stands today

Click image to enlarge
 Strong people are harder to kill and generally more useful!
Post #503304 10th Feb 2016 10:37pm
ken

United Kingdom 
Sorry Thor im going to upset you

The Warn lights are POO sorry but they are cak on cak day had them on LS59

They look cool really Aesthetically pleasing but truly form over function Light Force are the current LED stuff are way better

However if just for looks then you'll be happy (Would not bother wiring them in though Rolling with laughter ) and as your going for the G4 authenticity is the only real option

As for the price its fair really (for down south) to do it properly and neat is a days work so its about right, if you do it yourself yes you'll save money but not time are you anal enough to get the end result you desire ?

Sorry but that's how it is

Oh the highlow func is cool but cak Thumbs Up
Post #503352 11th Feb 2016 7:05am
Thor

Not at all upsetting Ken, thanks for your input.

I've seen the lights in action at G4 owners club events etc. I could just bolt them in and not have them working but, it's an excuse to drive to Kent to spend a couple of days with a mate wiring them up, and sorting some stuff on his 110. We've already discussed how anal I want to be with the wiring etc, I'm pretty anal with things so want it done properly so the two of us, a day, some knowledge from here, a couple of ££ spend online, a beer or two (near the end of the day) and jobs a goodun.

Went for the Warns because I want it original other wise I would've stuck with the Twisted alloys, Hannibal roof rack and soft A bar that I originally had on it and would've gone down the light bar route on the rack.

But none of that was G4! I'm doing it as a long term project in the back round. I'm very nearly there, once the lights and winch are in its paint and stickers really. Sounds simple when I say it like that haha. Strong people are harder to kill and generally more useful!
Post #503372 11th Feb 2016 9:20am
Alphabear

Wales 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Scotia Grey
This may be a silly question but won't the rack and the lights have to come off to respray the body?
Post #503379 11th Feb 2016 9:51am
Thor

Yes Alphabear it will. I'm going to use waterproof, marine spec fitting on the lights so I can remove the rack.

It's not just the rack either. Glass, bumper, winch snorkel etc. I just don't have the funds to do the respray yet*. I gave it some thought and came to the conclusion I'd rather some visual progress and have a grey G4 kitted truck than an Orange one with nothing on it. So it'll be stripped, prepped, painted and put back together.

*caveate being I have a couple of houses I rent out, one in Cardiff I used to live that I'm considering selling in a few months and taking my home mortgage down to sub £100k. Depending on the numbers, I may sneak a couple grand and get the colour change done in the summer. Shocked Strong people are harder to kill and generally more useful!
Post #503383 11th Feb 2016 10:20am
ken

United Kingdom 
Shhh Rolling with laughter
Post #503384 11th Feb 2016 10:23am
Thor

She never reads this mate, so I'm safe! Twisted Evil Strong people are harder to kill and generally more useful!
Post #503391 11th Feb 2016 10:45am
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
Without knowing exactly what your loom and the button pod does you can't say for definite, but a couple of switches and extending some wires isn't exactly rocket science.
Post #503452 11th Feb 2016 2:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1