↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Sankey Trailer conversion to overland trailer.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 11 <123 456 ... 91011>
Print this entire topic · 
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Can't wait to see the end result, it's looking great so far.

Not sure if you got an answer on the remap, and I can only speak for a 2.2 tdci, but the ECU has to go to BAS or Alive to be unlocked. BAS offer a remote option in the RRC but it's an extra couple hundred pounds. I'm in the same BAS or Alive dilemma. James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #552694 31st Jul 2016 9:12pm
xpertoftheseas

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Spent the day in the garage today, much to the dismay of the kids. I hope they realise that I am busting my balls for them and their love of camping and the outdoors.

I started sanding the boxes and ran out of filler, realising this was after 4pm and there was no chance of me getting any more today. However, in between sanding and filling sessions I built this.....

Click image to enlarge

So, this was not originally going to happen, but let me explain. The trailer will have an air heater which runs off the LPG system. There is a flexible pipe from the trailer to the tent which when it is cold in the colder camping seasons, we can have warm air in the tent - particularly nice if you have kids who when sleeping roll like alligators roll their kill, and climb into bed with you when they are cold. Having the control of this heater would mean someone (guess who) having to trudge to the trailer in the night to switch it on and off as necessary. So to solve this I made a remote station to control the heater, have 240v and 12v in the tent and a battery reading. The switches control the tent lighting internal and external (the tent lights all have the 12v plugs attached which plug in the end of the unit, and the first two switches control these sockets. The two outlets on the switch panel are USB power and another 12v socket. The 240vAC sockets are fed from the inverter or shore power on the trailer (depending on what is available). There is one 13 core cable that is connecting the remote box to the trailer which just plugs in to an outlet on the trailer. I used a 13 core 600v rated cable, with 1mm cores. This is fine as the inverter is rated to 2000w and shore power is never more than 6amps. Either way, this feed is protected by a 8 amp MCB. Just fyi, normal trailer 13 core cable is only rated to 24v.

I will do another post about how the panels are attached and sealed. I chose my own method which I will go into in detail. Not sure how the pros do it, but I am pretty sure my monkey way will be okay.

Thanks for the legal stuff on the LED lights will take a look at the ones suggested. Also thanks for the triangles - I was going to keep them on.

More filling and sanding tomorrow. My 10th Land Rover, but my first Defender.
Post #552746 1st Aug 2016 12:11am
xpertoftheseas

JOW240725 wrote:
Can't wait to see the end result, it's looking great so far.

Not sure if you got an answer on the remap, and I can only speak for a 2.2 tdci, but the ECU has to go to BAS or Alive to be unlocked. BAS offer a remote option in the RRC but it's an extra couple hundred pounds. I'm in the same BAS or Alive dilemma.

Its funny you should say that. I called BAS and spoke to a guy there who told me I did not have to send my ECU to BAS, and that all I needed was the tool and the app. However from what you are saying AND from what I read on other threads and forums is that you DO need to send it to BAS for it to be unlocked first. I think this confusion alone is pushing me towards ALIVE. My 10th Land Rover, but my first Defender.
Post #552803 1st Aug 2016 10:25am
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
BAS certainly do push their remote units as THEIR preferred option, but do do workshop remaps, where you have to send them the ECU for remapping and they post back. However I think the same applies to Alive, the ECU has to go to Louth? I was speaking with an ALIVE retailer and was told (this was last year, so may have changed) that the ECU would have to go to Louth for unlocking but would only take a couple of days. You certainly get better customer service from Alive.

Good luck, I look forward to hearing how you get on! James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #552807 1st Aug 2016 10:48am
dave18

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Portofino Red
Like the remote station. Very neat and tidy. I'm still holding off the trailer idea for a 101 lol

Be a shame to donall this great work and be pulled
Post #553015 2nd Aug 2016 9:48am
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
xpertoftheseas wrote:
Thanks for the legal stuff on the LED lights will take a look at the ones suggested. Also thanks for the triangles - I was going to keep them on.

Your reflectors should be road legal, it's only the type used on the early narrow tracks that aren't (the type with a white triangle with multiple reflectors inside). Yours should be fitted with the single reflector type which are fine for road use. http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #553038 2nd Aug 2016 11:04am
xpertoftheseas

Thanks for the reflector clarification. Mine are one piece so should be okay. When I finally get it back I will decide if they are staying on or not as I am lighting this thing up properly and they may look out of place.

Fabricator just sent me some pics before it gets loaded onto the trailer for transport back home.

Click image to enlarge

There was a problem with the mudguard fouling the body so they have been removed for modification. All aluminium corners are TIG'd in place and the front box mounted. Main panels are in place and the doors cut out ready for profiling, locks and hinges.

I now need to step on the gas here at home to finish the two part roof (which I made way more complicated than it needs to be). Need this ready for Monday for the paint job..... now I am starting to sweat. My 10th Land Rover, but my first Defender.
Post #553151 2nd Aug 2016 4:58pm
xpertoftheseas

I finally got the trailer back home on Wednesday morning. Since then it has been full speed to get ready for the holidays. I am resigned to the fact that there is no way I am getting this painted before our holidays so as long as it is presentable I can live with it until my paint guy has a suitable slot. I think this is better so I don't feel rushed to have to to complete by any deadlines.

The main roof is the focus today and tomorrow. In addition I started to build the shelf tower as well as the control panel, and even started to run some cables for the lighting. In addition I have refurbished the old Sankey lights they just need a final gloss black coat.

The roof is a ladder frame with sealing bars which sit on the edges of the side panels. On these edges there is an EPDM foam strip which will be the moisture seal, and the longitudinal bars sit on this.

Click image to enlarge

I have added a chamfer (curved) to the inside edge of the side bars. This is so when the roof is lowered, if there is any deformation in the sides it will be nudged back into the same line as the roof when you close it. The same goes for the outside side bars.

Click image to enlarge

With the ladder assembled, it is placed on the roof to check alignment;

Click image to enlarge

I am lucky as the fabricator did an amazing job and the run out from front to back was less than 2mm making the roof alignment and installation very easy. Tomorrow I will cut the wood sheet and start assembling it to the frame.

With the amount of stuff in my garage, the trailer will have to stay outside until the roofs are on and the trailer is secure. I cannot fit anything inside until I am sure it is weather tight. My 10th Land Rover, but my first Defender.
Post #553979 5th Aug 2016 10:06pm
xpertoftheseas

With all the best intentions, it was a slow day today. If I can't find my pencil, I cant find my tape measure, these two items just seem to walk away when you are trying your hardest to precisely cut (the last) piece of of sheet wood.

Turns out I am crap at free handing with a circular saw.

Click image to enlarge

I find the only way to cut accurately enough is to make a jig with a known straight edge, marking with a sharp pencil.

Click image to enlarge

After some cursing and self depreciation, I got it right. So much so I sliced my fingers on the edge it was so sharp.

I managed to assemble the ladder frame to the flat parts of the roof, then my phone died and I could not take any photos, so will post a better update tomorrow. Knackered now. Beer and some tapas, then bed. More tomorrow. My 10th Land Rover, but my first Defender.
Post #554155 6th Aug 2016 10:02pm
Thon

United Kingdom 
Some days are like that unfortunately.

The trailer is looking brilliant by the way, so don't lose heart!
Post #554158 6th Aug 2016 10:26pm
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
Tape measures and pencils can be particularly devious devices, displaying pure talent for hiding in plain sight.
Good luck getting finished in time.
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #554217 7th Aug 2016 11:09am
xpertoftheseas

Thanks for all the support Gents.

Today was a hard day, and whilst it does not look like much was achieved the majority of the dirty works (cutting, filing, sanding etc) it all but complete. The roof has turned out very well after the first sanding, and there is just some small pitting in the filler which needs attending to and then its ready for a wash and a high build primer. I also managed to assemble the front cubby roof which took longer than I expected as I needed to reinforce the support for the top lid at this will carry the hinge loading for the main roof in addition to the gas spring loading.

Click image to enlarge

The main roof is within 1kg of the expected weight so pretty chuffed at that.

I also managed to install the shelf tower which went together pretty quickly, only for me to realise it fouls the door frame. I need to remove and move the entire assembly forward about 8mm for it to clear both sides.

Click image to enlarge

Tomorrow, finish sanding roof, fill cubby roof and sand, install both. Install side boxes, finish cubby doors. Maybe even get to cut out the doors on the side boxes and rear, but lets not get ahead of myself. My 10th Land Rover, but my first Defender.
Post #554343 7th Aug 2016 9:58pm
L110CDL

England 
Very impressed with all your work and detail and im following with great intrest Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #554352 7th Aug 2016 10:29pm
xpertoftheseas

Ongoing Saga
Had to go to the office this morning for a meeting, but managed to get back by 2pm.

First finished filling the cubby box roof which needed a lot of filler as a culmination of my crap dimensions, questionable cutting skills and difficult assembly are hardly what you would call a master cabinet maker. However, it is strong and nobody will see the detail at 70mph in the dark.

Second was to finish the cubby doors (done!)

Third was finish sanding the side boxes (done) and then mark and cut out the doors. I have spent a lot of time making these boxes as square as I can get them, and add in the extraordinary amount of time I have spent filling and sanding I went to a lot of effort to ensure my measurements were perfect. I used a jigsaw to cut the lines after I had marked them.

Click image to enlarge

Drilled 3 small holes at one corner and pulled the drill back through them to make a slot...

Click image to enlarge

Insert jigsaw.....

Click image to enlarge

... and away we go. This went very quickly and smoothly with a very nice end result on both boxes.

I framed one box and framed the door after trimming to size with aluminium channel. The doors need to be watertight of course, so selected a 1mm gap between the door and the frame, and now only need to wait for my order from Simmal to complete the assembly. For some reason I managed to order only half of the aluminium channel I needed... don't ask me why because I really do not know. I drilled the hinges and realised I did not have any countersunk M6 machine screws, so will need to wait for these to arrive also. So far so good....

Click image to enlarge

Started on the gas system by modifying the Coleman gladiator gas tank assembly, There is an inlet pipe to the stove that connects the hugely insufficient and hellish expensive disposable gas bottles. I cut off the regulator and connected an 8mm gas valve.

Click image to enlarge

This will then head off in solid copper pipe to the gas manifold in the cubby. This will be the first job tomorrow morning.

Bed now to rest my eyes after the onslaught attack of aluminium particles from the mitre saw. Have ordered some safety glasses. My 10th Land Rover, but my first Defender.
Post #554618 9th Aug 2016 12:00am
xpertoftheseas

Wheels and Electrics today
Ì wanted to take a break from all the cutting and fixing. To get the trailer in a towable condition the trailer electrics needed to be tackled. However prior to doing this I grabbed the angle grind and chopped off the wheel tie downs from the centre hubs.

Click image to enlarge

The electrics were quite easy but took the entire day as I there were two separate wiring looms to make up as well as attach the new marker lights (x6) and run cables to these.

Click image to enlarge

I have utilised the original Sankey junction box which was extremely well built and spotless inside (even the outside was OK just dirty). I am wiring for 13 pin connection however right now it will only be connected to 7 pin connector as I have not had my 110 converted to the 13 pin type yet (another job for a another day). This configuration will allow me to just change the 7 pin to a 13 pin connector on the trailer wire when I finally get the conversion done. The trailer came with 12 core spring type wire so I just replaced the 7 pin connector as the old one was rusted and full of crud, and wired this into the junction box.

Click image to enlarge

Each light has its own cable so in the future I can change these for LED fittings easily.

Click image to enlarge

The original Sankey light fittings were in reasonable condition so had these blasted, then I primered and sprayed matt black and they look fine. I fitted these up and temporarily placed into the locations so I could get the cables to them.

Click image to enlarge

Tomorrow when my ally order arrives I will complete all the doors and seals, mount all the hinges and attach everything. Both roofs will go on and fixed as much as possible. I still need to do some bits on the wiring and the gas system, so hopefully I can get all this out of the way for tomorrow, then some small bits and pieces to get it ready for the camping trip. The trailer will not be finished of course, but at least I can use it for lugging our gear and for cooking on. When I get back I will spend another week finishing it and getting it ready for painting.

Click image to enlarge
 My 10th Land Rover, but my first Defender.
Post #555152 10th Aug 2016 10:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 11 <123 456 ... 91011>