↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Land Rover Customer Relations > Poor warranty fix on paint issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Sphere

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Keswick Green
Poor warranty fix on paint issues
After being a defender owner for many years I finally bought a brand new on in March last year and I am afraid it appears I got the Friday machine. So far it has been in for several warranty issues from trim loose to issues with breaks. However I am now nearly at the end of the line with the paint and considering my options on rejection.

It started as a minor issue with paint cracking along the seams of the roof and my dealer booked it in to be repainted. However a few days after receiving it back while measuring up for a roof rack I noticed some minor defects where the welds olongapo the front of the roof were showing exposed metal. Taking in into the dealers where they had it for a couple of days it was booked in to be repainted. I dropped it off on a Thursday to have a call on the Monday saying that the paint shop was claiming it was how I washed it! Interestingly I have only washed it twice as it has been in so many times the dealer has always done it. this was two weeks ago and I am still without my vehicle but with a disco sport (very nice but a not a defender and no tow bar) I am now being told that landrover paint are inspecting it on Friday to do a report so that it can go off to another body shop so when I get mine back is anyone's guess.

To add more concern I had a call this morning asking for me to return the disco as it was sold and being collected today. Sold as a approved used vehicle I only dropped it off at midday can it go through a clean and full approval check prior to collection? So today alone I have been to the dealer twice to drop off a disco sport collect a disco 4 as the sport was being collected by its new owner to drop this off for a Land Rover supplied disco sport.

I am afraid I am now getting a little annoyed as appear to be doing more miles in the rest of the Land Rover stable than the defender and it appears Land Rover approved is not worth the paper if they use sold vehicles as courtesy cars. It's due in again at the end of the next month assuming I have it back for a service however can I trust them?

Sorry for the rant but not sure on the best course of action and very annoyed. Why is it taking so long after being inspected more than once to be told it is how I am washing it!
Post #494140 19th Jan 2016 8:24pm
JAY BOY

Wales 
Firstly do you know a good paint shop you would be happy using and that would guaranty the work.
If so you can ask Land rover to use them rather than the Censored garage that they have been using. As for not having yours at your disposal I would be asking for some compensation for the time that you haven't had it.

I would also contact Ryan on here as he will assist if required.

Chin up at least it's not getting a load of miles put on it. Thumbs Up
Post #494145 19th Jan 2016 8:38pm
SGH

United Kingdom 
If you have finance on it get the finance company involved. I had paint issues on a new D4, dealer and JLR wanted to paint it I did not want any paint work done on a brand new vehicle. In the end I got finance company involved they took it back and I got all my money back plus interest and out of pocket expenses. Smile 993 Varioram - Guards Red
Defender 2.5 300TDI 110 HCP - Keswick Green
Defender 2.2 TDCI 130 HCP - Orkney Grey - GONE
Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE LUX - Corris Grey/Black Pack - GONE
Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE LUX - Montaciano Red/Black Pack - GONE
Post #494150 19th Jan 2016 8:52pm
Sphere

Think I will get onto the finance company tomorrow. As like you I do have concerns about it being painted again. I decided to get a new one as my wife drives it mostly and wanted a reliable vehicle with no down time and it's been off the road as must as my other defenders added up. She is currently using the car as not insured on the courtesy car and nearly got stuck the other day, however they have now agreed to add her to use the disco.

Just frustrated and concerned especially for people buying approved vehicles and paying a premium. I think I am loosing the love for the defender Big Cry
Post #494161 19th Jan 2016 9:14pm
SGH

United Kingdom 
Thumbs Up Don't give in to them. 993 Varioram - Guards Red
Defender 2.5 300TDI 110 HCP - Keswick Green
Defender 2.2 TDCI 130 HCP - Orkney Grey - GONE
Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE LUX - Corris Grey/Black Pack - GONE
Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE LUX - Montaciano Red/Black Pack - GONE
Post #494171 19th Jan 2016 9:31pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Quote:
It started as a minor issue with paint cracking along the seams of the roof and my dealer booked it in to be repainted. However a few days after receiving it back while measuring up for a roof rack I noticed some minor defects where the welds olongapo the front of the roof were showing exposed metal.

This reminds me of the good days of the 90, I had this...major issues started with a roof scratch from new and some other minor bits on the roof, after weeks trying to fix it (different session!!), things got worse with the so called repair(s), in the end I had a new roof and problem gone. I would suggest that's the route.

Oh and you will most likely have to give them 1 chance to paint it at least, even with the finance company involved. Mike
Post #494274 20th Jan 2016 12:51am
Sphere

one of the jokes is I wanted a white roof but it wasn't available on the XS and the dealer wanted to much to repaint it before delivery so stuck with the green. When it was repainted the first time I nearly asked if it could be white but decided it was to much hassle, glad I didn't as can see this being a nightmare if it was deviated from original spec.
Post #494384 20th Jan 2016 1:11pm
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 
Hi Sphere

Thank you for your post.

I am in receipt of your PM and have responded.

Regards

Ryan
Post #494469 20th Jan 2016 5:57pm
Sphere

Thank you Ryan for your quick response.
Post #494514 20th Jan 2016 8:40pm
Sphere

Thought I would give a update.

Friday I had a call from the dealer who advised me that landrover agreed with the defect stating dirt had got in the paint and it had been sanded down to the metal before finishing and they were speaking to the body shop

Today I received a further call from the Dealer saying that Land rover have now changed there mind and it is how I am washing it! so there is nothing further that they can do.

I have asked for the report from the dealer as well as full reports on the work that has been done so that I can take advise on how to proceed. I am still hoping that it can be sorted soon however feel this may be a little longer without a suitable vehicle. I am a little concerned as I have booked to take my sister skiing in France early March.
Post #496205 25th Jan 2016 3:39pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Sphere wrote:
... wanted a reliable vehicle with no down time ...

What on earth made you think a Defender ticked this box? Rolling with laughter

That's what Japanese cars are for!

Defenders are for people who want a hands-on, love-hate relationship with their vehicle and think of the 1970s and before with a feeling of nostalgia.
Post #496211 25th Jan 2016 3:52pm
Sphere

Agreed with that but id did hope that I would at least be able to park it in the rain without all the paint being washed off Rolling Eyes
Post #496214 25th Jan 2016 3:57pm
PRENT1

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
After several trips to and from my local garage, which they accused me of washing my car the wrong way and having used a roof rack...(nothing had ever been near my roof bar a sponge and a leather after) i was quoted 3,000.00 to have the roof re-painted.
Here is LR last correspondence;
I write further to our previous telephone conversations.

As discussed, I had investigated your concerns regarding the paintwork on your vehicle and as part of this I had spoken with our Land Rover Warranty Team who had reviewed the information. It had been determined that the concerns are not the result of a manufacturing or material defect and are due to external factors. Therefore this would not be covered under the terms and conditions of your warranty.

I apologise that there seems to have been some confusion regarding the quotes given to you by Beadles Sidcup. Therefore I had asked them to revise the costs and speak to you further; I understand that they have now done this and they have informed me that they have reduced the costs significantly. I do hope that this is satisfactory and you can come to an agreement with them.

Should you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me further on my details below I will be happy to help wherever possible.

I will now be taking it myself to an approved paint shop who also are approved by Mclaren and Ferrari as well as LR and will repaint the roof for 450..
Approved warranty not worth the paper work, sorry...
Post #496247 25th Jan 2016 5:21pm
o4dn

France 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
Dunno if that's of any relief to you, but my MY2009 Defender has been very reliable.

Yet it's got that roof paint flaking off from new, I reckon it's part of the fun of Defender ownership (actually, my Disco has the same "feature" but it's a lot older) Whistle “A Land Rover immobilized is a moral defeat for the driver and bad publicity for the vehicle, […] it's up to you to do justice to your Land Rover!” - Land Rover Driving Technique.
--
2009 2.4 Puma Defender 90 SW
1979 Land Rover Series 3 88"
Post #496251 25th Jan 2016 5:31pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Quote:
which they accused me of washing my car the wrong way and having used a roof rack...
i had that - i pointed out that LR advertise and sell a roof rack and its supposed to take one, so it wouldnt be fit for purpose and they backed down very quickly.

Paint defect, paint flaking off, is definitely a warranty issue, whether its an approved one who knows. Mike
Post #496261 25th Jan 2016 6:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>