↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > IIDtool and DPF
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
flydive

Switzerland 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Heritage Edition SW Grasmere Green
IIDtool and DPF
Is it possible to force the DPF regeneration using the IIDTool?

If not that would be a very useful function to have.(TDV8 and Puma 2.2)

Any one else would be interested?
Post #493714 18th Jan 2016 4:30pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Seems nobody knows the answer; or rather that answer is in the negative.

It may be because it's not really the issue that we think it is. I'd like to know how many times a Defender has been back to the main dealer to have it done.
Post #493949 19th Jan 2016 8:27am
flydive

I hope that maybe someone from GAP will chip in.

In my experience that would be a very important option.

Let's see.
Post #493985 19th Jan 2016 10:23am
PatGAPInnov
Site Sponsor

Canada 
Hi Guys

This function is not currently implemented in the IIDTool. It has however been requested a few times so we will look into it in the coming months. Keep in mind that the conditions required to start a force or automatic regeneration are the same. It will have to be driven at highway speed for a defined period of time.

Cheers http://www.gap-diagnostic.com/
Post #494092 19th Jan 2016 4:51pm
Supacat

I read the Manual to say that there is a difference between active and forced regeneration of the dpf.

Active regeneration makes no mention of road speeds, although it does seem reasonable to assume it can't be done without loading the engine.

Forced regeneration can be achieved by two different methods:

1. driving the vehicle until the engine is at its normal operating temperature and then driving for a further 20 minutes at speeds of not less than 30 mph (48 km/h); or

2. by connecting an approved Land Rover diagnostic system to the vehicle which will perform an automated static regeneration procedure to clean the DPF.

I would think it is the latter functionality that is being requested, i.e., being able to run it whilst the vehicle is static.
Post #494097 19th Jan 2016 5:05pm
flydive

PatGAPInnov wrote:
Hi Guys

This function is not currently implemented in the IIDTool. It has however been requested a few times so we will look into it in the coming months. Keep in mind that the conditions required to start a force or automatic regeneration are the same. It will have to be driven at highway speed for a defined period of time.

Cheers

That would only partially solve the problem, still a very useful option to have implemented.
Thanks for looking into it.

Supacat wrote:
2. by connecting an approved Land Rover diagnostic system to the vehicle which will perform an automated static regeneration procedure to clean the DPF.

I would think it is the latter functionality that is being requested, i.e., being able to run it whilst the vehicle is static.

Yes that's what I'd like to see.
Static or at least not Highway.

Would help on long off-road trips.

P.S. Would love for that to work both for my RRS TDV8 and my Defender 2.2
Post #494105 19th Jan 2016 5:32pm
PatGAPInnov
Site Sponsor

Canada 
Excerpt from Land Rover technical literature:

The ideal speed and conditions for regeneration are 100 km/h (62 mph) to 120km/h (75 mph), in high range. Keeping a constant speed enables the diesel particulate filter to regenerate more efficiently.

And...

...Drive the vehicle for a further twenty minutes, keeping the vehicle at a constant speed between 75 km/h (45 mph) and 113 km/h (70 mph) Speed values may vary depending on the engine or other factor.

In order for the regeneration to take place, it is mandatory to drive at high speed. There is no way to avoid this limitation. http://www.gap-diagnostic.com/
Post #494130 19th Jan 2016 7:46pm
Supacat

Supacat wrote:
by connecting an approved Land Rover diagnostic system to the vehicle which will perform an automated static regeneration procedure to clean the DPF.

This is a quote from the same literature you are quoting from...so where are you getting this from?

PatGAPInnov wrote:
In order for the regeneration to take place, it is mandatory to drive at high speed. There is no way to avoid this limitation.
Post #494160 19th Jan 2016 9:13pm
PatGAPInnov
Site Sponsor

Canada 
Interesting, might I ask which document describes this static regeneration? There is no mention in the document I quoted actually. From Topix...

Published: 09-Apr-2014
Exhaust System - ID4 2.2L Diesel - Diesel Particulate Filter
Diagnosis and Testing http://www.gap-diagnostic.com/
Post #494174 19th Jan 2016 9:34pm
Supacat

Well it depends if you see each section as part of the same thing - the Workshop Manual.

Try this part:

Exhaust System - ID4 2.2L Diesel - Diesel Particulate Filter - System
Operation and Component Description
Description and Operation

Full extract:

"If, due to vehicle usage and/or driving style, the active regeneration process cannot take place or is unable to regenerate the DPF, the dealer can force regenerate the DPF. This is achieved by either driving the vehicle until the engine is at its normal operating temperature and then driving for a further 20 minutes at speeds of not less than 30 mph (48 km/h) or by connecting an approved Land Rover diagnostic system to the vehicle which will perform an automated static regeneration procedure to clean the DPF."

and then a little further, there's this:

"Instrument Cluster Indications
For drivers who make regular short journeys at low speeds, it may not be possible to efficiently regenerate the DPF. In this case, the DPF software will detect a blockage of the DPF from signals from the differential pressure sensor and will alert the driver as follows:
The driver will be alerted to this condition by a message 'DPF FULL. See Manual'. As detailed in the Owners Handbook, the driver should drive the vehicle until the engine is at its normal operating temperature and then drive for a further 20 minutes at speeds of not less than 30 mph (48 km/h). Successful regeneration of the DPF is indicated to the driver by the 'DPF FULL' message no longer being displayed. If the DPF software detects that the DPF is still blocked, the message will continue to be displayed or an additional message 'DPF FULL VISIT DEALER' will be displayed. The driver should take the vehicle to an authorized dealer to have the DPF force regenerated using an approved diagnostic system."

Last edited by Supacat on 19th Jan 2016 10:33pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #494197 19th Jan 2016 10:20pm
PatGAPInnov
Site Sponsor

Canada 
From the following:

Published: 29-Apr-2015
Exhaust System - ID4 2.2L Diesel - Diesel Particulate Filter - System Operation and Component Description
Description and Operation
System Operation

If, due to vehicle usage and/or driving style, the active regeneration process cannot take place or is unable to regenerate the DPF, the dealer can force regenerate the DPF. This is achieved by either driving the vehicle until the engine is at its normal operating temperature and then driving for a further 20 minutes at speeds of not less than 30 mph (48 km/h).

Nothing about static regen. Could they simply have removed the information/function at some point? Can you confirm we are reading the same document revision? http://www.gap-diagnostic.com/
Post #494204 19th Jan 2016 10:31pm
Supacat

Well clearly your version has been edited poorly - the use of the word "either" makes the sentence incomplete - can you check the 2nd reference - is that also edited?

Mines an uncontrolled copy, so may well be out of date.
Post #494209 19th Jan 2016 10:41pm
flydive

It looks like we might be getting somewhere Thumbs Up

If you get it to work, well next time I'm in Montreal I'll buy you a beer or twelve Wink
Post #494210 19th Jan 2016 10:43pm
PatGAPInnov
Site Sponsor

Canada 
They seem to have done a better job with editing the other document, if it was edited of course... And you are right, very poor job on the second one thought Rolling Eyes

To our knowledge, static regeneration was never made available in SDD hence why they must have edited the document(s) at some point. http://www.gap-diagnostic.com/
Post #494215 19th Jan 2016 10:49pm
Supacat

Seems odd that people are able to do it on other versions of the Ford Tdci engine using FORScan; I wonder what scared LR off; but more importantly if the software is actually still in the vehicle?
Post #494237 19th Jan 2016 11:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>