↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Electrickery box
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
chiefstoker

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Zambezi Silver
Electrickery box
My friend recently sold his Defender, but before he did so he removed some of his accessories and asked me if I wanted them - derr...

Anyway, he has given me this chip box and said to try it out, 'if you want it make me an offer!' he said, just looked online and they are £400 Shocked

I dont or intend to drive the vehicle hard, but I do regularly tow a trailer, is a larger intercooler required?

Has anyone any info/experience of this system before I go bolting it on an wrecking my motor Laughing

cheers Stoker 8)

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #43516 25th Oct 2010 10:31pm
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
Looking at the plugs you probably need to install it between the engine loom and the connector at the front off the engine. So it will probably give you a power gain by opening the injectors a little longer.
I think it will work but won't be as refined as a proper remap.

It's an easy installation and will probably not hurt your engine. The worse thing you can get is black smoke I think. Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #43718 27th Oct 2010 10:02pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
roel wrote:
The worse thing you can get is black smoke I think.

And an increased fuel bill! Laughing If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #43738 28th Oct 2010 8:04am
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
K9F wrote:
And an increased fuel bill! Laughing

Jah, most of these chips only overfuel your truck - increased EGT, wear & tear, etc.

Rather get a remap from BAS or another reputable shop Thumbs Up
Post #43744 28th Oct 2010 9:11am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I don't recognise the unit in the photo at all, but I do have a PSI Powerbox on my TD5 Disco and it made a HUGE improvement to driveability. Smoother power, more torque, and much improved overall driveability. No black smoke, and no discernable change to fuel consumption (in fact if anything fuel consumption has dropped since the engine doesn't have to work as hard). Been running it for about 100k miles now, and wish I had fitted it from new.

I imagine that the unit you have been offered is broadly similar to the PSI Powerbox, which is connected between the ECU and the injector harness.
Post #43766 28th Oct 2010 11:12am
chiefstoker

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Zambezi Silver
blackwolf wrote:
I don't recognise the unit in the photo at all, but I do have a PSI Powerbox on my TD5 Disco and it made a HUGE improvement to driveability. Smoother power, more torque, and much improved overall driveability. No black smoke, and no discernable change to fuel consumption (in fact if anything fuel consumption has dropped since the engine doesn't have to work as hard). Been running it for about 100k miles now, and wish I had fitted it from new.

I imagine that the unit you have been offered is broadly similar to the PSI Powerbox, which is connected between the ECU and the injector harness.

Yes it is, my friend said it did make a nice difference to the driveability of his td5 - I asked him about fuel consumption and he wasnt sure if it made much difference - the instructions say it probably will (they would!) - either way if its no good i can always take it back off and give it to him back. Its hopefully a job for next weekend then Thumbs Up
Post #43913 29th Oct 2010 7:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1