↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Sankey MkII Trailer - My refurbishment starts
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 9 <123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
Lancerdoc999

United Kingdom 
I bought some old rapier like mudguards to go inside wheel arch openings. need slightly modifying but will look pretty cool I think. There are a pair on eBay still. search army trailer.
Post #533820 22nd May 2016 9:08pm
Lancerdoc999

United Kingdom 
Land Rover 101 Sankey GKN Rapier Trailer Mudguards
Post #533821 22nd May 2016 9:12pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
^

Thanks

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-101-S...SwMVFXH3dr

I'm keeping the trailer low cost though so I class that too much, I could have just thrown money at it, sandblasted, stripped down, repainted, etc etc but even though I could financially decided it is after all just a trailer. So everything I've done I've done myself and keeping the costs down. I would rather spend on some nice extra for my Defender. (startech wheel was less than the sanding, spraying paint quote)

Thanks though Thumbs Up

I thinking would rear Defender arches fit?

This has been modified but maybe of a piece was cut off each end?

I'm using hammerite Smooth, I tried the spraying etch primer (local car spares recommend make?) but didn't like it. I'm happy using Hammerite.

Have you a picture of yours in progress?

I'm lucky this will live in a garage, so should keep it ok? its been in their almost 6 months some metal down to bare and its holding up fine.

Lets see yours Very Happy
Post #533825 22nd May 2016 9:27pm
Lancerdoc999

United Kingdom 
I'm now sorting the tub. Despite some reservations about sticking with Hammerite and zinc oxide I thought too need to keep costs down. (to a degree!) Was going to use Buzzweld but as I've so much to do on the 110 and the trailer won't get huge amount of use/be stored in barn should be fine. On 1-2 coats of satin black hammerite on tub now. Mine has a mod'd tailgate. Wheel arches are here but need inside stripping but otherwise will be ready to modify to fit in the wheel recesses. I think it should look pretty cool with the solid metal arches. I don't personally like the Landy arches on sankeys but each to their own.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #534984 26th May 2016 9:36pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Hello

Looking great !!

How are you painting it? roller or brush

I'm undecided on the arches yet, as not sure what will work best may leave them until I decide rather than rush something.

Any closer pictures of the tub finish?

Thanks
Post #534988 26th May 2016 9:42pm
Lancerdoc999

United Kingdom 
light is crap now so will photo tomorrow. Zinc oxide went on fine but the first coat of satin black didn't seem to go on terribly well. Also as the brush drys a little its more likely to leave streaks.

I done a second coat over much of the tub now. Its not too bad. I did buy a roller kit and may still try this especially on the flat surfaces but as there are all the hooks this will need some brushing also.

I may actually go and buy a few cans of spray satin hammerite as this may give a better finish especially to the outside which will be more visible. I have only loose fitted the arches so far. They need trimming down to fit and the angle of one end will need altering slightly and welding to make it fit properly. I have this lined up next to do.

I'm going to paint then wax oil the arches and tub bottom for a little extra protection. Any leftovers will go on the chassis then to use it us. Other plans then are brackets for the modified catering trailer frame, high rear brake light, custom canvas cover and possibly spare wheel carrier/have some jerry can holders to fit somewhere if needed.

Just NEED to get the bloody thing finished!!
Post #535017 26th May 2016 10:27pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
^ Great stuff

Post a picture in daylight, I'm using the smooth not satin...

In the same boat but its time with family and all the other jobs I end up doing Smile The garden seem to be taking a fair bit of my time lately...

Still I'm plodding on.
Post #535022 26th May 2016 10:31pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
OK so I cannot put off painting it any longer,

I've sanded down, removed most bit that will cause issues. debated over either spray / hand paint or roller...

Decided a bit of hand paint with mainly roller...

Well, initial thoughts are I'm glad I've gone for the Keep the sankey simple route. It looks pretty good !! certainly in keeping with a Landrover !! another coat needed, the inside needs doing, reflectors back on, extra touch up bits, sort number plate out, sort nato wiring but its looking like it suits the truck now.

Started by painting round the hooks and other bits that would be awkward for a small roller.

Click image to enlarge

The square taped off bit was me practicing hand painting and I decided a roller would work better.

Click image to enlarge

So after two coats I think its looking pretty good especially with the truck Smile

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Still a long list of stuff to do, but its looking something like...from this start...look at the height for one...

Click image to enlarge

to this so far... no lights / reflectors / cover / roof rack / but getting there.

Click image to enlarge
Post #535512 28th May 2016 10:23pm
Rosco

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Looking good Thumbs Up 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
2002 - Black Discovery II - Gone
2014 - Montalcino Red 110 XS SW
Post #535726 29th May 2016 9:25pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
OK so today with help from the kids deciding what goes where We made the trailer look a bit more fun and ready for camping. I also added new reflectors, front ones and changed the bulbs.

Will need number plate plinth, re wire, finish the tub inside, new break away cable,

Pictures make it appear a little patchy but in real light its pretty good, happy with my job.

Click image to enlarge

Also tried the thule bars with a bike carrier to work out where they will fit and how I will make an opening cover.

Click image to enlarge

Kids think it looks great and even the Mrs was impressed, asking if you can fit a tent on it Thumbs Up

Still bits to sort but looking useful now Very Happy
Post #535740 29th May 2016 9:43pm
Lancerdoc999

United Kingdom 
Nice build! Word of warning re the breakaway cable. I was under the impression that these will not suffice if the trailer detaches from your vehicle. The weight of the trailer will snap the cable and it will head wherever it pleases! They are designed to engage a breaking system and stop the trailer which can include it snapping in the process. Sanseis generally don't have these systems (perhaps the later Mk 3s do)

I use a heavy duty chain and locks that should keep the trailer attached should the hitch fail. Whilst this is rare all it takes is for you to forget to properly secure the hitch and it comes undone or even rarer still the o ring or hitch itself fail. I then use the chain to lock the o-ring as well so doubles up as both. I have attached a solid bracket and d-ring to one end and the lock attaches to the rear hitch plate. Hoping this is enough!
Post #538058 6th Jun 2016 10:33pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
^ thanks I've towed caravans for years and agree the break away will only apply the brakes the unit if in hitched will go anywhere? Until it stops I guess?

Now maybe a re think. Heavy guage chain with D ring either end? Would that work. One end on trailer (maybe the handle at front?) Then other end on tow bar bracket of car?
Post #538066 6th Jun 2016 10:50pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
If the trailer has overrun brakes the law requires it to have a breakaway cable (which applies the handbrake hard before snapping, the idea being that the trailer then stops - eventually). It is illegal to tow a trailer with overrun brakes on the road without such a cable being present, in good condition, and used. (Trailers with "coupled brakes" - ie air brakes - do not need this, but in the context of Landrovers that means trailers between 3.5 and 4 tonnes MAM which are so rare as to be irrelevant to the question).

Sankey trailers as built are not legal to tow behind civilian vehicles without modification. The MoD is able to use them due to the Crown Exemption from compliance with the C&U Regs which was widely exploited at the time Sankeys went into service. The latest generations of trailers should be C&U compliant, however.

It is not easy to fit a breakaway cable to a Sankey (certainly not the narrow-track version), there is no readily obvious way of doing it, but to be legal it must be done.

An unbraked trailer (ie one with a MAM not exceeding 750kg) does not require a breakaway cable, but it is advisable (but not, I think but may be wrong, yet a legal requirement) to have a secondary attachment such as a chain so that if it comes unhitched it stays behind the towing vehicle.

Personally when I tow any trailer I use a chain as a secondary coupling, since if the trailer did break away I want to retain sufficient control to stop the thing with minimum damage to others. If using a chain in this way on a braked trailer, there MUST be enough slack on the chain to allow the breakaway cable to apply the trailer brakes fully and snap before the secondary chain comes up tight.
Post #538146 7th Jun 2016 10:33am
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
My Sankey already has a break away cable attached seen here under the trailer prior to painting which T's off to the brakes.

I use this when towing the same as I would with a Caravan so someone must have fitted this?

Click image to enlarge

What I'm think as an extra safety device is something like this 2 of these one on the towbar and one o the trailer with a heavy duty chain between the two?

Post #538152 7th Jun 2016 11:27am
Scoobeenut

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
I think if any single axle trailer breaks away from its main coupling it would be difficult to maintain any kind of control. Even if it it has a breakaway cable or chain it will very quickly start snaking and most likely spin over, it may be a legal requirement but I doubt it would be much use.
Post #538156 7th Jun 2016 11:45am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 9 <123456789>