↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Electrical..... help!!! Interior light
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
dumptruckface

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Orkney Grey
Electrical..... help!!! Interior light
Ok I NEED some tech electrical help, I have a 2012 2.2 puma 110 pick up, xs.
I went to wire in an additional rear cab light , double led so nothing heavy duty, I think whilst wiring it in I must have shorted out the cables on the back of the interior light.... So.... As I understand it I have a permi ant live coming to the unit, and switched negatives/earths. I still have a perminant live and the light comes on when I switch it manually but not when the doors open! I have checked all fuses, and also tried to lock the car up with each door open, horn beeps so the car knows and is getting a signal from each door that it's open.... Just no interior light.
I'm well and truly stuck, not to mention totally Pi!&ed off that I can't see a solution or issue. Any one who can help?
Would be really apreciated. Neutral
Post #494592 20th Jan 2016 11:22pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I assume you've tried fuse 30 under the dash? Should be 10A.
(On a 2.4 Puma, 2.2's may be different.**)
Post #494613 21st Jan 2016 12:22am
dumptruckface

Checked all fuses, would or is the switched negative be fused?
Post #494615 21st Jan 2016 12:39am
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
No, only the permanent live is fused.
If, like you say, it comes on manually, then the feed is fine. There's either a problem with the 10AS alarm control unit or the wiring to it. I'd double check that all your connections are properly in to the back of the original light unit.
Post #494633 21st Jan 2016 8:21am
dumptruckface

ok so all fuses are fine, i have ascertained that the door switches input into the AS10 alarm interface thingy, i have metered between pins 1 on the grey plug to the interior light and this has continuity, i have also tried to set the alarm with one door at a time open and it will always sound the horn, indication that the AS10 is getting the door open triggers, in turn indicating that the door pins/switch's are working......... so its starting to look like a AS10 fault? can i unplug the AS10 connectors in an attempt to power down and reset? or will this encourage an immobiliser issue? the only other thing i can think of is to drop the battery off the car and then re connect in the long lost hope that something might reset itself?

also does anyone think i would have an issue shorting out pins 1 and pins 5 with the drivers door open to prove the light comes on, by doing this i would prove the AS10 is at fault, my biggest concern is messing with the AS10 i really dont want to immobilise my truck here at work and create a bigger issue.

this is the connector info i downloaded.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #494687 21st Jan 2016 11:36am
dumptruckface

OK so i have gone ahead and removed the grey connector, shorted out the pins 1 and 5, when i push the drivers door pin in and out i get the internal light on and off, so this is proving my wiring (which i was sure was ok) and is also proving my door switch of which i was confident with also......... so im guessing that the issue i have must lie within the AS10 unit? im no landrover technician but i have proven everything else within the equation as far as i can see.

Am i missing something? is this something that landrover have to replace or is this something i can get a replacement for, or are there settings that can be reset by LR etc?
Post #494704 21st Jan 2016 12:07pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Check the door switches. Thumbs Up
Post #494709 21st Jan 2016 12:17pm
dumptruckface

I HAVE CHECKED THE DOOR SWITCHES they are all fine.
Post #494719 21st Jan 2016 12:24pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
dumptruckface wrote:
Am i missing something? is this something that landrover have to replace or is this something i can get a replacement for, or are there settings that can be reset by LR etc?

You can get replacements.
It is also possible to turn off the interior light with a diagnostics tool, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that your 10AS has decided that you don't really want the light and it's turned itself off for you. The only way to fix that would be with a plug in. I think the Nanocom can, the IIDTool can, any dealer would be able to.

If you lock the car with a window open and manually open the door (i.e. "break in") does the alarm go off? Edit: actually re-reading your first post you've already done that, just in a different way.

I think you've either broken the output on the 10AS or it's decided to be unhelpful. Next steps would be to disconnect the battery as you say (but bear in mind the BBUS and the battery disconnect procedure), if that doesn't work then a diagnostics plug in, then either new 10AS or take it apart (of that's possible) and have a poke around.
Post #494781 21st Jan 2016 2:23pm
gazman

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Alpine White
Funnily enough I've got exactly the same problem with my interior light on my td5.

If I ever get it plugged into a Nanocom I'm going to get the settings checked. 2014 - current ..... 2003 defender td5 90 (my car)
2009 - current .... 2005 zx10r
Post #494793 21st Jan 2016 2:53pm
dumptruckface

Hhhhm so it looks like I have gone as far as I can, nanocom is £385 that's something I'm not going to be investing in right now!, does anyone know anyone who has this in the Somerset area that could take a look for me?
I called my dealer and they are happy to take a look for £108 per hour!!! Lol a mate of mine has a top of the range snap on unit would this be able to check the interior light settings?
Failing that I have contacted a guy who can repair my 10AS unit, around £40 I'm just concerned about sending it to him and my vehicle being at the mercy of a courier!
Post #495015 22nd Jan 2016 7:50am
gazman

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Alpine White
My best friend has his own garage and has snap on and a few other readers. Unfortunately they can only read the codes not change any settings. Or at least the ones he has cant
Post #495016 22nd Jan 2016 7:54am
dumptruckface

I figured that might be the case, guess I'm resigned to sending my 10as module away for repair/diagnostics...... I could just live with no interior light, but it bugs the hell out of me!
Post #495019 22nd Jan 2016 8:08am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Whereabouts in Somerset are you? it's a big county!
Post #495062 22nd Jan 2016 10:22am
dumptruckface

Im in Taunton Smile willing to travel tho for some help, i guess if i can rule out the 10AS just deciding to switch the light off, then i know it needs to be repaired.
Post #495070 22nd Jan 2016 10:32am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>