↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Please Please help :( can't start defender and its snowing :
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Rob00

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Java Black
Please Please help :( can't start defender and its snowing :
Ok I have had some issues with my 2007 2.4 defender these last few days, but here is hwere i am currently at.

I unarm the alarm with key fob, unlock door with key (no central locking on my truck as manual locking and unlocking only) put key in ignition, trun key and it attempts to fire up, but just as its about to cuts out. Turn key again and nothing.

I have fully charged truck battery and drop tested it and battery if ine.

I have got eka code, but searched how to enter it and all desricptions are either rubish or don't work.

I have tried imobiliser reset by loosing negative terminal on battery turning key to on and then to off and taking negativie terminal off for ten seconds, put terminal back on and then try to re start and its the same.

It all started on wednesday. I decided to drive it to work as i noticed it was a bit sluggish to start and figured it needed a good run. No issues at all. Got to work, jumped out, locked door, pressed fob to arm alarm and not flashing indicators??? tried to unarm alarm and no flashing indicators?? Tried ignition and car tunred over but cut out, interesting as alarm did not sound??

Have since done all of the above plus.

Checked all fuses i can find under drivers seat and under sterring wheel, all but one were fine, hazard light fuse gone, swapped that and hey bingo hazard lights work when press button, which have not worked since bought truck. tried to start again and it turns, but cuts out.

The indicato0rs now flash when arming and unarming alarm, but i can not get this thing started Sad

Can anyone help diagnose issue?

I could also do with nowing the following:

EKA code entering sequence?
WHere the starter relay is. I know there are relays under seat and under dash but i dont have manual so dont know what any of them are Sad?

I am now considering taking AS10 alrm unit out from under dash and cleaning it and trying again.

Sorry for war and peace.
Post #492698 15th Jan 2016 6:42pm
Rob00

oh yes just remembered.

the last few drives i noticed when i opened drivers door to get out there was a constant buzz, but lights were off, indicators were off etc. ?????? SHut door and buzz stopped??but alarm set fine.
Post #492700 15th Jan 2016 6:45pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
If something is buzzing, I'd check your relays. Get it buzzing and touch each one to find which. Can't help anymore than that, I'm just off out, for the evening. Good luck, or somebody else may hopefully be more helpful.
Post #492743 15th Jan 2016 8:41pm
Davey J

United Kingdom 
It's a pity you are not closer to South Wales as my Launch diagnostics work well on the Defenders. I had a similar problem, mine was the crank sensor, cheap & easy Thumbs Up
Post #492747 15th Jan 2016 8:50pm
Rob00

Ok so just got in. I have checked every single fuse and they all appear fine, so it isnt them.

I have also changed round the relays i can, that match each other, swapping one for the other and still no joy. THe only ones i can't swap round are the two red ones under steering column and the brown one.

THe buzzing was like a small alrm, but contant until i shut the door. It was also before i had this problem of not starting. Like it was trying to warn me about something?? Certainly not hear it since i can't start motor.
Post #492811 15th Jan 2016 11:41pm
Rob00

i will check crank sensor next i think. Would this have worked, then let me drive, then stopped me setting alrm or demobilising alrm?

ALso anyone know the easiest way to check the relays i can't swap round? I think one of the two red ones is for the dip/dim R126 as it clicks when i put front lights on full and off. I thought the other red one was front wipers, but the electric workshop manual doesn't list this relay?

This leaves the brown one and all others are either clicking or i have been able to swap round.
Post #492812 15th Jan 2016 11:45pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
You are checking the relays under the seat box ?
Post #492819 16th Jan 2016 12:10am
Rob00

checking all relays. THere are two grey ones under the seat that match and two black ones that match, so i swapped the two black ones round and the two grey ones round and still no change. I dont think its an issue under the seat as i have literally checked everything under there.

Its doing my nut in. I first realised there was an issue because indicators didn't flash when setting or unsetting alarm, but now they do, but still will not start.

I have also had the 10-AS alarm box out and had it appart. The insides are mint with no issue. SOme corrosion on three pins on the grey plug so tidied them up as much as poss and in plug, but might put some contact cleaner on them tomorrow. I am running out of things to check Sad
Post #492820 16th Jan 2016 12:14am
Rob00

I have also tried entering EKA code to over ride immobilser, but can't seam to get it to work even though i have verified code with two LR dealers. Although as i can unset alarm i am not following the first stage i.e open door and insert ignition key and turn, while alarm is going off enter EKA code. I will try this tomorrow but didn't want to upset the neighbours tonight.
Post #492821 16th Jan 2016 12:18am
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
If you don't have a BBS, it might be worth disconnecting the battery for 1/2 hour to reset everything

Otherwise you are going to need a diagnostic tool.. Good luck
Post #492822 16th Jan 2016 12:19am
Rob00

Thanks. WIll try this tomorrow too Sad I was convinced it was the battery as it was stuggling to start leading up to the issue and thats why i took it to work on a good run. Sad Battery has been drop tested, cells topped up and charged and all signs show its a ok (now), did need a charge though. Connectors on battery were a little loose so we tightened them up too so nice and tight.

I have fixed loads of little issues as we have checked through stuff, but i can not get it to fire up.

Hazards lights now fixed- never worked since got it (fuse blown)
Battery now fully charged and topped up
Battery terminals now nice and tight
Battery topped up
Fuses that had been changed for wrong ones are now all right, had to change around 15 of them for new ones as previous owner(s) had obviously put any rated fuse in

ARRRRRgGGGGhhhhhh
Post #492823 16th Jan 2016 12:26am
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
Presumably you've checked/replaced the key fob battery? That causes all kinds of problems... Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #492831 16th Jan 2016 1:05am
Rob00

Yea David done that but admittedly it wasn't changed while in the truck. It still turns alarm on and off so I presume it is doing the same to immobiliser? Or is that not the case. I will double check manual on how to re sink immobiliser and fob.
Post #492832 16th Jan 2016 1:17am
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
Yep I'd just 100% rule that out. I had awful trouble one time and eventually sorted it by replacing battery and resyncing.

The EKA code is also a joke, never managed to get it to work. Also know a couple of people who work for Land Rover who have had the same experiences - it just doesn't seem to do what Land Rover think it does!

also you get weird starting faults if you have a bad Earth on the starter motor or battery... Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #492833 16th Jan 2016 1:23am
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
It's a long shot, but we've had an issue with one of our tractors when one of its batteries was dying where it would spin the engine over but wasn't opening the stop solenoid properly so wasn't getting fuel. It was a right Censored to get started. Have you tried jump starting it?
Post #492872 16th Jan 2016 10:31am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>