Home > Technical > Problem #1 - Hunting on tickover
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Leviathan

United Kingdom 
Problem #1 - Hunting on tickover
I have 2008 2.4 tdci 108k miles.

The engine hunts on tickover when hot, but only very slightly. You can just see the rev counter moving.

I only noticed it because the turbo heat shield buzzed at the same frequency (fixed that by bending the shield).

Any ideas to start me off much appreciated.

Ta.

Nick
Post #492692 15th Jan 2016 6:22pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
No not yet really but I had a couple of occasions when almost stalled on tick over....turned out one of th battery leads were very loose.

Worth a check perhaps?
Post #497815 29th Jan 2016 1:36pm
Caterham

get it sorted?
Post #557916 22nd Aug 2016 7:22am
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
Does it change depending on whether the engine is warm or cold, are any trouble codes logged and have you ever done anything with the EGR valve?
Post #557926 22nd Aug 2016 8:22am
Leviathan

United Kingdom 
Not really. It had slipped my mind tbh.

The truck is being used by my wife everyday for commuting and she hasnt mentioned it, so its not that much of an issue.

In fact, touch wood, there has been nothing go wrong for ages Shocked . Ever since I put on the 30mm wheel spacers and backed off the stops she thinks its the dogs danglies.

I would have bet good money that I would have sold it by now.
Post #557928 22nd Aug 2016 8:29am
Bogblaster

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Adventure Corris Grey
108000 miles, I'd be looking at the fuel pump. I ran 4 x 2010 Transits and all at about 100k miles needed some sort of loving on the fuelling side. The Bosch man reckoned it was down to cheap fuel, as there isn't enough lubricant in say Tescos finest and the metal in the pump starts milling itself, this led to an undulating tick over.

BB 2019 MY Disco 5 HSE Lux
Audi A4 Avant 3.0L TDI Quattro - WOW
2016 90 Adventure
Post #557936 22nd Aug 2016 8:38am
Leviathan

United Kingdom 
Cupboard wrote:
Does it change depending on whether the engine is warm or cold, are any trouble codes logged and have you ever done anything with the EGR valve?

Definitely when hot.
I dont have a code reader - are those cheap ebay jobbies any good? Can you recommend one please?
Never touched the EGR valve, as mentioned its only slight and apparently intermittent.
Post #557937 22nd Aug 2016 8:40am
Cupboard

I've used a cheap ELM327 knockoff and it was OK but a bit frustrating.
I've used two cheap standalone ones which were OK but a bit frustrating because they only tell you the codes rather than a description and they don't have enough buttons so the UI is a bit rubbish.

I've now got an Ultragauge plugged in semi-permanently which will tell the the codes and allow you to clear them but that's it. It's good as a gauge but not so good as a diagnostics tool, but seeing as it's designed as a gauge and the diagnostics are a nice extra that's fine by me and it's got a friend out of a muddle before. It's good enough for basic purposes on a Puma Defender.

Next step up in my plug in tools is an Autel MD802 which is a proper fault code reader I paid £170 for and will read faults (including manufacturer specific ones) on pretty much any vehicle including TD5 Defenders. It's nice to use and will graph and save live data if you want it to. The only downside is that you can't write information with it. I bought it after getting annoyed with the Ultragauge because that's tucked in to my dash neatly it's a faff to get in and out when someone wants their codes read, and the Ultragauge isn't that good at code reading anyway.

The final step up for my Defender (and other modern Land Rovers not including the TD5) is a GAP IIDTool which talks to my phone via bluetooth. That should (but I'm currently having a few issues that they're being very helpful with) write to and change configurations in the Defender ECUs, so things like adding new key fobs and stuff.
Post #557954 22nd Aug 2016 9:35am
Lorryman100

With the mileage and symptoms you describe I would change the VCV (Volume Control Valve) on the fuel pump. VCV will not log any DTC's, other issues including blockage in the fuel lines, filter ports and bio contamination can give the same symptoms all without logging any DTC's. What will be logged as a DTC will be any injector issues but as these are on the emissions side of tested DTC's these would illuminate the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light).
Post #557976 22nd Aug 2016 11:46am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Leviathan

United Kingdom 
Does the VCV need any software setup Lorryman? Also is it easily changed?
Post #557982 22nd Aug 2016 12:38pm
Caterham

good afternoon Brian,

would a faulty VCV not give the hunting issue be it hot or cold.

for me the hunting effect only occurs on hot days / when the engine is thoroughly warmed up - it would appear from above this is also the case for Leviathan?

of could the vcv just cause noticeable issues when hot?

Thumbs Up
Post #557983 22nd Aug 2016 12:40pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
A faulty VCV can produce just about any type of fuel-related symptom, including hunting, stalling, flat spots, complete failure to accelerate, through to a complete refusal to run. It is a very common problem, and usually it is the absence of any other DTC that points to the VCV (since the low pressure fuel system isn't monitored by the ECU).

Replacing the VCV is fiddly rather than difficult and does require a diagnostic system capapble fo carrying out a pupm relearn operation, which I think rules out Nanocom still but Faultmate, IID, etc shoudl do it OK.

It is very common to have VCV problems if you have had other fuel issues such as water or dirt in the tank, generally VCV failure will occur soon after. The VCV is a very precise, accureate, and fragile component.

The VCV is a 'feature' of the 2.4 engine only, the 2.2 has a different LP fuel system which has more sophisticated malfunctions available!
Post #557990 22nd Aug 2016 1:09pm
Cupboard

I think the cheapest tool that claims to be able to do the procedure is the iCarsoft i930.

Edit: I might have muddled that up in my head with the Foxwell one which is a bit pricier.
http://www.scantool-direct.co.uk/foxwell-n...rsion.html
Post #557994 22nd Aug 2016 1:13pm
tobz102

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
just this week my 08 68k puma has developed exactly the same thing, probably only fluctuates +-150rpm at idle but only when hot. I was initially going to check the EGR however there's no signs of it being worse than normal
Post #558060 22nd Aug 2016 6:21pm
Leviathan

United Kingdom 
OK who's the first to change their VCV and report back?

Although they are only about £45 on ebay, I know absolutely jack all about OBD stuff and are scared by the prospect of wasting £160 odd on a reader that I cant use.
Post #558065 22nd Aug 2016 7:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>