↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Rear Panel Damage do you have the same?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Rattys

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Rear Panel Damage do you have the same?
I have a 2015 Tdci 110 Utility that has developed a crease on the rear off side lower panel just above where the body is fastened to the chassis. LR say there is no manufacturing defect and wont carry out the repair. In my annoyance I posted on a facebook page the issue and I have had several people come back and say their 2014/2015 car has a similar crease of varying degrees and I was wondering if anybody else out there has a similar problem, as I am very willing to take a class action type approach to Land Rover.
Its been suggested it could be caused by the spare wheel on the back door, standing on the spare wheel to access the roof rack.
So if you have a similar problem, a solution or had a fix under warranty I would be grateful if you could post below and if their are enough of us I will approach Land Rover if their are enough of us to see if they will accept its there problem.
thanks
Mark

Click image to enlarge
 1954 86" - makes any green lane seem as long as the trans american high way
2015 110 Utility - will have to go and travel the trans american highway
Post #489553 7th Jan 2016 12:38pm
steve E

Wales 
Could someone of stepped on the rear step as that looks like the shape of the front of a shoe or boot. Embarassed

Actually sorry but it does look like a force from above as i hadn't noticed the fact that what looks like an impact point is the correct part of the panel and the rest is protruding.

Last edited by steve E on 7th Jan 2016 1:15pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #489559 7th Jan 2016 12:47pm
couplands

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
It does look like there has been downward pressure on the body panel and it has creased. Not sure how that would occur other than some large weight on the roof, but at that point I'm sure you would see other signs of damage higher up the vehicle.

I suppose the other option is that the body and/or chassis are twisted and over time the pressure has caused the crease.

Was the damage on the car when you bought it, or has it developed over time..?

Curious one...best of luck finding the cause and getting it rectified.

cheers

simon
Post #489564 7th Jan 2016 1:04pm
Stiff1

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Never seen that before but would never recommend standing on the spare as the back door is barely able to take the weight of the wheel alone hence all the threads on rear wheel carriers.

Good luck sorting it out though.
Post #489565 7th Jan 2016 1:12pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
just been out to check and
thankfully no I don't have that problem.

I never seen that before. has it happened gradually or could there have been an accident happen that you're unaware of?

as above I don't think standing of the spare is a good idea - possibly a bit late for that tho?

good luck in getting to the bottom of it / resolving it.
Post #489573 7th Jan 2016 1:49pm
dgardel

Italy 
Never seen that before!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #489608 7th Jan 2016 3:44pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Matt110

United Kingdom 
Only thing to cause that in my opinion is a very large downward force on the rear door. They can't really build it like it, and nothing would cause it progressively. Check the rear door sill plate, are you getting scuff marks on the top from the door being out if alignment? If you are it'll be taking the paint off the bottom of the door and corrosion will be starting so I'd take a look and put in temporary preventative actions to stop it corroding before you fix it. Neutral

Have you ever stood on the wheel? Or has anyone else? If so I'd say that's why LR aren't interested. You could get the panel straightened but it'll never be quite as strong again, so I'd probably straighten it then fit a wheel carrier. If you leave it standard in 5-6 years the door will droop anyway and you'll end up with the same result Very Happy
Post #489633 7th Jan 2016 5:03pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
I disagree.

To me it looks like the rear quarter panel was not lined up with the rear crossmember (perhaps during its build) and when the two body bolts were tightened it has pulled the panel in, and caused the crease. 2016 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol

Last edited by RRUK on 7th Jan 2016 7:18pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #489654 7th Jan 2016 6:08pm
Caterham

interesting you should say that RRUK.

As I'm sure many are aware the corner in question often overhangs beyond the line of the X member (front to back - not left to right) but even so I've not seen this happen to the body work........but not sure why. Based on what I've just said I'd have almost expected most panels to be creased???

those bolts. they go through the body and secure to the chassis - do they go through a space first - is the spacer missing in this case?
Post #489675 7th Jan 2016 7:16pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
RRUK wrote:
I disagree.

To me it looks like the rear quarter panel was not lined up with the rear crossmember (perhaps during its build) and when the two body bolts were tightened it has pulled the panel in, and caused the crease.

I agree, another possibility is the chassis tab could be misaligned causing the 1/4 panel to deform when the bolts where tightened.

I would inspect the paintwork under a magnifying glass for cracks and fractures that may provide some clues as to when the issue happened. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #489698 7th Jan 2016 8:02pm
Caterham

I reckon it's the standing on the spare that's done it.

the panel between the bolts and the corner all look like they're in alignment. between the bolts and door edge is where it's buckled outwards.

if it were out of alignment from the outset the panel would be creased in both sides of the bolts.
Post #489716 7th Jan 2016 8:26pm
Pilgrimmick

United Kingdom 
the rear body used to sit inside the chassis mounting points, then it was moved,(for cosmetic reasons?) to sit outside of the chassis and led to the overhanging look that you get today. could this be a symptom of that?
Post #489732 7th Jan 2016 9:10pm
alby

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Santorini Black
Afraid I'm going to play devils advocate here....

My 2014 90sw in the same colour as yours is the same, I have the same crease. i also have a crease above the rear door. The doors skins also appear wobbly and baggy as though the skin is too big for the frame. The roof above the front two seats is also bellied, as though someone has sat on it. I have seen many others like this, not as noticeable on lighter paint colours, but black shoes up every blemish.

It doesn't bother me, it doesn't get me worked up though.

In and ideal world on a 25k plus vehicle there should not be issues like this and they should all be perfectly built and exactly the same and built to exacting tolerances.

However, in reality the defender is a very old vehicle design that has been evolved and adapted over a very long production run by a manufacturer who has starved the model of development. It is built on a production line that Henry ford would recognise and in terms of automotive development has more in common with a Massey Ferguson than a Maserati.

In short, it is what it is. As the dealers often say; they're all like that sir/ they all do that sir!

Just enjoy the vehicle and don't worry about it. I for one would not be bothering to spend a single penny of my hard earned to line the pockets of an overpaid lawyer in a shiny suit with fancy offices, flashy motor and kids at private school. After all, the only real winners would be two sets of lawyers, laughing all the way to the bank...

Besides, I'm all spent up having bought a defender!

Realistically, I suspect your chances would be nil badgering Land Rover to sort it out, or to take any ownership of the issue, given that production is ending imminently and the defender is at the very end of its development and production life.
Post #489776 7th Jan 2016 10:57pm
Rattys

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Hi,
every one, the panel was straight when I picked it up new in March last year, it appeared in November. Its taken Landrover nearly 8 weeks to say its not their problem. The crease is significant at least 4mm and has pulled the panel away from the corner angel as well.
Following some other advice I had another look at today and it appears as suggested that the crease has come from some downward force and considering it is about 200mm from the bottom door hinge, I being to think its possibly from a jolt or bounce on the many off road trips we do. Which means it my catch even though I think the design should stand something like that.
LR have suggested that I have hit something from below which doesn't match the crease shape. I looked at a friend 2014 Utility tonight and he has two similar creases to a lesser degree.
On mine the breather pipes had been trapped between the body and chassis, it took ages to free them (that cured a splutter when running from full tank to mid tank that dealer couldn't find).
So I think its get it fixed and a wheel carrier Confused any favourites out there? 1954 86" - makes any green lane seem as long as the trans american high way
2015 110 Utility - will have to go and travel the trans american highway
Post #489792 7th Jan 2016 11:31pm
tuesdayfox

2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Zambezi Silver
mine is similar but different.
it happen on passenger side, no crease was developed but a big "dent"

I call it a dent but it was not caused by any impact but a deform of the panel.
its a dent going inwards to the cabin.
Post #489831 8th Jan 2016 3:55am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>