↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Land Rover Customer Relations > Bitter Disapointment !
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
stravaig

Scotland 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Rimini Red
Bitter Disapointment !
My new Defender 110 Adventure leaks like a sieve !!!!
I picked it up on the 23rd Deember and made a few local journeys. I drove to my partners in Aberdeenshire on the 27th I was a few miles from home when I had to wind the heat, and air con to full volume and drive with the windows open to let the steam out....
I checked in the cubby box for my free Land Rover branded swimming trunks........! ( just as well their were none and I drive with my hillwalking gear on to keep warm)

In the morning I swamped the vehicle out, it was waterlogged especially the drivers footwell.
The bulkhead seal looks dodgy, the door seal is misaligned, the floor isn't properly sealed and doesn't look right...
(Oh and I refused the car initially because you had failed to even paint it properly the dealer sorted that out )

I called Land Rover Assist in the morning and asked them to recover the vehicle. They seemed slightly reluctant but when pressed offered me a jaguar car as replacement.. I declined the jaguar car..

I'm now driving a thrifty hire 110 van with 2 seats, they must have got the extra special edition because it doesn't leak.....

I'm tempted to ask for a refund and go across to the Honda garage....

My previous work car a Honda CRV had 180000 miles on the clock with servicing alone.
No wonder Land Rover have stopped building the defender.

I would classify myself as a die hard Land Rover owner or maybe I should say I used to,, I'm thoroughly sickened by this...and it will probably be my last Land Rover.

It's a sad sad day and I'm very very unimpressed . People are asking where my new landy is and I'm telling them it's in the garage..... Go and buy a Honda....if my partner didn't already have one and I had access to it that's exactly what I would do...

I traded in a 110 XS which was the best LandyI have ever owned and I did wonder if I would regret it...guess what. Big Cry
Post #488908 5th Jan 2016 6:31pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
Stick a complaint in on Twitter about it usually gets a response from Land Rover
Post #488911 5th Jan 2016 6:40pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Strange, when I recently did the Defender Celebration tour our guide was adamant that no Defender is allowed to leave the factory with each and every possible leak which will manifest itself in the shower test will first have been fully rectified. Not sure which tobacco he was smoking though.Whistle Laughing
Eric You never actually own a Defender. You merely look after it for the next generation.
http://youtu.be/yVRlSsJwD0o
https://youtu.be/vmPr3oTHndg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GtzTT9Pdl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABqKPz28e6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZ49Jce_n0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvAsz_ilQYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8tMHiX9lSw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxwjPuHIV7I
https://vimeo.com/201482507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSixqL0iyHw
Post #488914 5th Jan 2016 6:45pm
VeeTee

Netherlands 
Land Rover engineers went to visit the Mitsubissanota factory to see how they tested the seals on their vehicles.
The Mitsubissanota engineers explained they shut a cat in the vehicle - if they came in on Monday and the cat was dead the seals were all OK.
The Landy engineers figured they would test the defender over the weekend - when they came in on Monday the cat was gone.
Rolling with laughter Cheers, Vincent
1959 Polynorm 1/4 Ton Trailer, Olive Drab Green (sold)
1970 M416 Military Trailer (Camping Trailer Conversion), Epsom Green (sold)
1975 Series III 88 V6, Light Green (sadly sold)
1996 Defender 110 CSW 300 Tdi, Epsom Green (sold)
2000 Freelander 1 TD4 3-drs, Silver (sold)
2006 Freelander 1 TD4 5-drs Facelift Automatic, Tonga Green (sold)

MySite
Post #488922 5th Jan 2016 7:17pm
SGH

United Kingdom 
^^^ rolllaugh: Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter 993 Varioram - Guards Red
Defender 2.5 300TDI 110 HCP - Keswick Green
Defender 2.2 TDCI 130 HCP - Orkney Grey - GONE
Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE LUX - Corris Grey/Black Pack - GONE
Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE LUX - Montaciano Red/Black Pack - GONE
Post #488932 5th Jan 2016 7:52pm
Wild Card 90

England 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Good, very good.....

But so sad that a customer who buys one of the very last editions should have such a disappointing experience.

Stravaig, I can just imagine how you feel, fending off the questions about where your new motor is.

Stick with it. This is one of the reasons why they have to stop building them. However, once it is sorted the pleasure of owning a final version of the breed will last way longer than the fascination of a new Honda. Thumbs Up 1998 Tdi 90 SW,
2008 Td4 90 SW,
2012 2.2 90 SW,
2" raised Trailmaster/Terrafirma
Heavy Track Raids, 255 MTīs,
Recaro CSīs, anorak, wellingtons
Post #488933 5th Jan 2016 7:58pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
A pig in lipstick, is still a pig.
Post #488934 5th Jan 2016 8:06pm
LEZ

United Kingdom 
Your not alone Stravaig, many of us have similar problems with new Defenders as previously detailed on this site.

Mine goes back to the Dealer on 18th January for their third attempt at solving leaks, since it was first delivered last October !!!
Post #488935 5th Jan 2016 8:11pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
^^^Indeed^^^

It's not as though these kind of faults have not dogged the model since they were introduced in the early 80's. Regardless of price tag some are good, while others are bad, I never for one minute believed quality control would dramtically rise toward the end of production. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #488938 5th Jan 2016 8:21pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
VeeTee wrote:
Land Rover engineers went to visit the Mitsubissanota factory to see how they tested the seals on their vehicles.
The Mitsubissanota engineers explained they shut a cat in the vehicle - if they came in on Monday and the cat was dead the seals were all OK.
The Landy engineers figured they would test the defender over the weekend - when they came in on Monday the cat was gone.
Rolling with laughter

old almost like the original,

Quote:

A pig in lipstick, is still a pig.

I tend to agree - you buy the adventurer its not really a car to reject and what Defender can you get to replace it...a die hard LR fan should understand they may leak and accept it (grudgingly)...you can hardly reference getting a honda as a replacement...buy a disco or range rover - they dont leak - but a honda (car) to cover an issue with a defender

Defenders are well known to leak, so it should now be about quickly making good and minimising your disruption

Quote:
I never for one minute believed quality control would dramtically rise toward the end of production.

in fact almost the opposite - a load of people hammered to make as many as they can before loosing their job, a recipe for high quality final run...no?

I would fear the last few Mike
Post #488939 5th Jan 2016 8:24pm
tookaphotoof

Netherlands 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Should have bought an Autobiography. Had a discussion with someone involved with the that model. He was convinced that model is leak free!
Either the extraordinary amount of cowhide inside the car is soaking up the rain or he hasn't ever seen the place where those cars have been put together. Laughing
Post #488942 5th Jan 2016 8:28pm
Mr Fox

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
mse wrote:

Quote:
I never for one minute believed quality control would dramtically rise toward the end of production.

in fact almost the opposite - a load of people hammered to make as many as they can before loosing their job, a recipe for high quality final run...no?

I would fear the last few

Exactly my thoughts - if they didn't care about quality control when the car was in production with no end in sight, they surely aren't going to gain care and attention to detail once JLR/Tata put the bullet into the Defender.

Whilst the patrons of this forum consider the Defender to be special, I doubt those on the production line have the same sentimentality for it.

Last edited by Mr Fox on 5th Jan 2016 9:01pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #488957 5th Jan 2016 8:49pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
they don't all leak and they can be fixed, speak to Ryan on here and get it fixed, also ask for another one to use why it is being fixed. when it is fixed you will love it and it is at the end of the day very special DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #488958 5th Jan 2016 8:52pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Stick with it Stravaig. It must be so disappointing, but it can be fixed.

I bought my 7 seater XS privately last year and it had spent its whole life garaged overnight.

It lives outside now. After the 1st bad rainfall we had, my passenger side footwell was like a swimming pool. I tried parking it in a different direction to the prevailing wind, but it made no difference. Every time it rained, the built in foot spa was back. It also leaked into the drivers side footwell, but nowhere near as badly.

It still had some warranty remaining so I booked it into Farnell's at Nelson. They needed it for three days but they did a great job on the leaks and it is now bone dry. Even in the torrential rain we have had in Yorkshire over the past few weeks.

Bl***y annoying that the factory can't be bothered to do the job right in the 1st place, but a good dealer should be well practiced in sorting it.

Once the teething problems are sorted, I am sure you will enjoy the Adventure.
Post #488959 5th Jan 2016 8:53pm
Spookytooth

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Its simple, for the price you expect more, unfortunately with the Defender you don't get it and why should Land Rover care, the fans of the Defender are so hard core they can serve them up anything and they put it down to 'character', meanwhile the rest of the world has said enough is enough and a Honda replica replacement will be here soon, and about time, it will leave clear blue sky between the sentimental relics of a bye gone age and something able to function in 2016. Personally I don't know of a better second van, as a first and only vehicle, however!
Post #488963 5th Jan 2016 9:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>