↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > 2.5 NA injector pump bleed help requested!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Nohr1234

United States 
2.5 NA injector pump bleed help requested!
Like This
nohrs1234's Photonohrs1234
Yesterday, 10:05 PM
Dear All,

I am asking for your expertise regarding a 1987 2.5 NA Diesel 110 (located in California).

The pump is a Lucas Cav, and the engine turns over normally.

The vehicle is a ex MOD 110 has a MOD rebuilt engine from 2009 and was running perfectly until recently, although it is seldom used. I suspected a fuel issue and have replaced the fuel filter, O-rings, lift pump (sealed type) and fuel pipe to the lift pump.

In respect to bleeding the system; using the lift pump, I have bled the fuel filter free of bubbles and the injector pump INFEED pipe is also bubble free and has a strong pulse of fuel when priming by hand. The solenoid valve has been removed and checked as working correctly.

The issue is that I cannot get any fuel, apart from a dribble, at the bleed screw on the top of the injector block. I have also slackened the screw on the side (not sure if this is a bleed screw) and primed by hand and in combination of these two screws either being tight or slackened, I cannot get any fuel other than a small weeping/dribble.

I have also removed the 'fuel return' pipe on the injector pump to the fuel filter, and no fuel or air is escaping when being primed. I have also slackened one injector pipe nut and this no fuel is evident when cranking the engine.

I am very frustrated and would very much appreciate any help on why the fuel is not flowing thru the pump!!
Post #488689 5th Jan 2016 12:07am
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
I take it you have not changed anything else in the time during which it went from working to not working? E.g. ignition barrel switch.

I believe you may need the ignition on to open the solenoid to prime the pump fully to.

To be honest i have never primed the pump on these. I found that priming the filter and upto the pump was enough to start after a little churning.

I also presume you have checked the actual wiring that feeds the solenoid is functioning correctly? The solenoid might work off the pump but can you hear it click when installed? 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale
Post #488702 5th Jan 2016 12:39am
Nohr1234

United States 
Thank you for your reply.

I am priming with the ignition on and I can feel the solednoid open. I have also removed it to check it is operating properly. I am also rotating the crank so the lift pump works in manual.

I also have a second identical 110 and when I open the bleed screw and prime , the fuel it pulses out.. I just can't get any to travel through the pump other than a 'weep' Sad
Post #488705 5th Jan 2016 12:47am
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
I'd be sorely tempted to make sure the battery is fully charged, crack open a couple of injectors and crank on the sterter motor for a few 20-30 second bursts. From my hazy memory of the 19J, the best way to start them was no throttle at all, plenty of heat and only apply the throttle when it caught.
Just try the starter motor cranking method with all the bleed screws nipped up and at least a couple of injector pipes cracked open at the injectors.
Post #488708 5th Jan 2016 1:00am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1