↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Hardtop Info?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Mr Fox

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
Hardtop Info?
Have searched and found bits of info but am struggling to find the facts in their entirety...

Can anyone confirm what spec means a 90 Hardtop (Puma 2.4 or 2.2) has ABS and ETC?

My understanding, perhaps incorrectly, is that only Hardtops with XS pack have ABS and ETC - is this true?

I also believe that MY14 and onward all have ABS/ETC, even the base spec HT.

Can anyone confirm what MY07-MY2013 Hardtops will have ABS and ETC, would as I stated above, they only be XS models?

Also, can anyone give me a definitive answer as to what County spec means on a Puma (2.2 or 2.4?)

Thanks in advance.
Post #488518 4th Jan 2016 5:37pm
Orangesofa

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
I gather XS spec added ABS/ETC.

All Defenders (inc poverty spec) from 2014 onwards had this as standard (a regulation on all UK vehicles I understand).

I have a 2013 poverty spec HT and it doesn't have ABS/ETC. Phil
Post #488643 4th Jan 2016 10:36pm
Dave-H

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tonga Green
In 2007 It was standard on XS spec, and an option [about £1200] on a County.

How long it stayed that way I don't know ... HTH Guns and Landrovers .... anything else is irrelevant.
Post #488652 4th Jan 2016 10:47pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
I have a 2011 poverty spec HT and it doesn't either.

County adds things like electric windows, central locking and fold up side steps. XS adds ABS/TC, air con...

ABS was always an option, and I think there was something like an offroad pack that added it. Assume it doesn't have ABS unless you get the light on the dash. I have seen base spec HTs with ABS and AC fitted same way I've seen Counties with neither (which is most of them).

Poverty spec has the distinct advantages of not having central locking that likes to lock you out at inconvenient moments, and wiring in to the doors that chafes and stops working. ABD and TC are nice to have without a doubt but I'm not loosing sleep over not having them and it's nice to have fewer things to go wrong. Off road I'd rather spend the difference in money on ATB diffs.
Post #488653 4th Jan 2016 10:48pm
Mr Fox

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
I can appreciate the sentiment that simple is better and ETC is not really something that concerns me; however, the ABS is a nice safety net to have, especially (on those rare occasions) that the Defender is being driven by someone who is less confident behind the wheel.

As it won't be a daily driver, I'm leaning toward it almost being a non-issue but I am still on the fence. Most HT seem to be very low spec and I assume that is because of their commercial nature.
Post #488667 4th Jan 2016 11:14pm
Orangesofa

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
I went for poverty spec as a number of the extras that come with an XS were not what I wanted and to pay a premium for something that'd be removed straight away or rarely if ever used seemed daft.

The enjoyment for me was starting with a truly blank canvas and creating exactly what I wanted.

I agree on the ABS point though and ideally would have liked that. I have done the LRE day at Eastnor and the ETC was worked quite hard which made me think that could have been useful too. Purists will say this is not necessary and I like to think that it forces me to acquire new skills and drive with greater anticipation... but secretly I cry on the inside for not having bought a '14 model Wink Phil
Post #488693 5th Jan 2016 12:11am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1