Print this entire topic · 
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
One I took in Washington DC a couple of months ago

Post #710121 31st May 2018 12:34pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green

Click image to enlarge

For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #710141 31st May 2018 2:44pm
bluebottle

United Kingdom 
gilarion wrote:
I have visited a nuclear Bunker museum in Cheshire one of the most depressing places you could ever visit. There is a room you sit in and it as if a nuclear bomb goes off and you feel the blast the noise of the wind and then the noise of everything crashing around you I could not wait to get out. the rest of the exhibition is OK and there is a couple of old Land Rovers on display with nuclear warden signage.

Was that Hack Green?

We went there on a school trip, there was a Russian lad at my school and he made the minibus driver stop to let him get out and take a photo to send home (back in the days when you had to have a film developed!) because he said nobody would believe him if he just told them.
Utterly chilling place.

I recall you could buy the old Home Office pagers in the gift shop... a mate and I were tempted until I said “what would you do if you put batteries in it and the bloody thing went off one day?” Put us both off.
Post #710675 4th Jun 2018 12:04am
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
There’s also one at Kelvedon Hatch in Essex, near to the M11.

I could tell you about it, but then I would have to kill you. I’m ok at keeping secrets, it’s those People I tell that can’t Whistle

The Hack Green bunker is close to the Shropshire Union Canal. In my day as a Canal Boater we used to use the Pearson’s Canal Companions as guides and Michael Pearson always used to remark on the ‘secret’ nuclear bunker by Hack Green locks.

Our local council built a small one in their car park about six months before the end of the Cold War which I had the pleasure in working on. To be honest, I think I would rather be on the outside than inside when the bomb went off. I think those inside would have just been prolonging the inevitable.
Post #710698 4th Jun 2018 10:43am
Mountain_man

Wales 
Here is one I took a couple of years back.... you can find it on Google streets quite easy too.

Click image to enlarge
Post #710740 4th Jun 2018 3:54pm
Tdi4

Netherlands 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
Yesterday parking in Amsterdam. What would you do? Mine is 2m 17cm high.

Click image to enlarge
 a defender from 1984 pretending to be a puma with a touch of Range Rover
Post #712757 17th Jun 2018 11:04am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
v8bob

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
Just noticed this in the background in a tv programme. And yes on google it does exist in Bromley:

Click image to enlarge

Well, I will be going there for sure, I don't think it is that direction though Confused
Post #720047 28th Jul 2018 8:05am
Muddybigdog

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Only in Sweden

Click image to enlarge
 Jumped ship to reliability - Mitsubishi L200
Puma 90 XS - Sold
D3 - 2.7 S x2 (both Sold)
Freelander 2 HSE - Sold
Freelander 1 - Sold
Disco 2 - Sold
Post #720056 28th Jul 2018 10:22am
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey

Click image to enlarge
 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #720058 28th Jul 2018 10:56am
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
seriesonenut wrote:
I'm old enough to remember when it was secret Rolling with laughter

Back in the 50's the Government removed a whole hill, constructed a nuclear bunker and put the hill and forest back on top! All you could see was a bungalow (guard house) through which you passed along a really long tunnel into the bunker. Think battle of britain control room, windows looking down into a map room of London & the South East along with a BBC broadcasting station, generators, hospital and room for 100's of the chosen few!

I went in during the late 80's as it was being decommissioned. Interesting to look round now a bit if social history.

Can't think in this day and age you could build something like that and nobody would have leaked it........

Intersetting, I pass it twice a day seven days a week, i presumed they used a TBM (not that they had them back then) and bored out the side of the hill.

Interestingly I spent the night at the SNB on my own as part of a bet with my friend (Who is a member of the local and renown Parrish Family), i nearly Censored myself thrice. It was pitch black and the bunker isn't waterproof so you can hear dripping all night, ancient pumps humm, and wind blow through The "Emergency Exit". I needed to go Censored and it took me nearly an hour to find a toilet so nearly Censored myself there.

Then I got lost again and ran Into a storage cupboard full of mannequinns, Then I convinced myself i heard actuall footsteps and it turned out to be some ****** **** ******* ***** **** who decided it might be cool to check the bunker out at night for free, i nearly beat them to death for it.

I think they now do haunted sleepovers but the one experience was enough.

Easily one of my top three scary experiences. I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #720111 28th Jul 2018 7:44pm
Slideywindows

England 
My wife grew up on the farm near to the Kelvedon Hatch "secret" Nuclear Bunker and her brothers used to go and try to break in when they were teenagers!
Post #720133 28th Jul 2018 10:35pm
walfy

gilarion wrote:
I have visited a nuclear Bunker museum in Cheshire one of the most depressing places you could ever visit. There is a room you sit in and it as if a nuclear bomb goes off and you feel the blast the noise of the wind and then the noise of everything crashing around you I could not wait to get out. the rest of the exhibition is OK and there is a couple of old Land Rovers on display with nuclear warden signage.

I served in BAOR during the Cold War, well the end of it anyway. We used to go on exercise to S Germany all the time. On the complex we used there was a massive warehouse. Inside there were various activities to complete. Filling sandbags, a LandRover for various tasks, changing wheels etc. But the worst part was that while you were in there , the training team could replicate all sorts of environments, nuclear detonation being 1 of them. So you'd start of filling sandbags in regular unform and then as the threat increased you'd don the appropriate clothing. Until at the end you were in full NBC (as it was back then, none of this modern CBRN stuff). ANd then you'd get an almighty flash and then the wind would blow in, then a pause and wind from the opposite direction. Then you had to go through the whole decontamination drills. Plus eating, drinking and worst of all, defecation drills. 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #720162 29th Jul 2018 9:17am
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
^^^^ **** that.

I hated CBRN stuff, the only time we ever partook in a large scale CBRN exercise we did it With open comms to facilitate co-ordination.

Needless to say some do gooders on CB/Hamms pick up our chatter of a "contamination" and us having blank firing exercises. Within about an hour the local emergency services turned up looking puzzled. The local newspapers blew up with conspiracy theorists that we fought a pitched battle with Aliens or monsters or something like that.

After another incident involving CS gas being fired from a Riot gun during a game of murderball we were never allowed near any CBRN gear aside from the gas chamber thank god. I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #720286 29th Jul 2018 6:44pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black

Click image to enlarge
Post #720753 31st Jul 2018 9:53pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Sorryhull?

Post #736478 24th Oct 2018 12:34pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>