Home > In Car Electronics > Cruise Control Light in Puma Instrument Cluster
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
PaulMc

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 110 2.5 TD HT Arles Blue
Stiff1 wrote:
Me too.

So to all you electrics boffins, I would like to change my hazard switch from the central one pictured above to one that will fit the other standard switch holes.

Bought a Disco 2 switch which is the right size (although not sure if it is illuminated) but takes a different plug at the rear. Any thoughts on how to convert or an alternative switch?

Thanks in advance.

The Discovery-2 switch uses the Black 5-way connector YPC10523

This switch switches pin 1 to earth on pin 4

Night-time illumination is on pin 2, with its earth on pin 4

In a Discovery-2, there's no flasher relay - the indicators and hazard warning lights are controlled by the BCU.

This switch, switches a signal wire from the BCU to earth, to instruct it to flash the hazard warning lights and warning lamp in the instrument pack.

To use this switch to operate the hazard warning lights on a Defender, is possible.

You have to use the switch to switch the earth on a 4-pole changeover relay.

It's possible to make the switch flash with the hazard lights, by installing another Red LED on the unused pin 5, with its earth on pin 4.

I've done this for some of the D2BC members -

Inside of the Hazard Switch, with a 5mm Red LED added across pins 5 and pin 4 -

Click image to enlarge

Switch 'off' and illuminated by the original LED (night-time illumination), across pins 2 and 4 -

Click image to enlarge

Switch 'on' and illuminated by the original LED, across pins 2 and 4, as well as the 5mm LED across pins 5 and 4 -

Click image to enlarge

Using a switch wired in this way, with a Defender flasher relay, the switch would alternatate between low and high intensity, in time with the flashers.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Paul.
1989 Arles Blue 2.5TD 110 Hardtop
1999 Epsom Green Discovery II 4.0 V8i 'XS'
Post #491417 12th Jan 2016 3:47pm
Bushpig

Wales 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Alpine White
I've been very happy with the light in the centre console, but used it for the first time at night yesterday and it is rather bright.
Any suggestions on how to wire it so that the light will dim with the rest of the dash lights?
My brain says that it will not be possible, but I'm sure there are many on here that are far better with electrics than myself… Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
Douglas Adams

2012 2.2 Puma
Post #494292 20th Jan 2016 6:14am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dgardel

Italy 
Bushpig wrote:
So I've ended up chickening out with playing with the pcb.
Simply had a blank engraved with the cruise control icon and used the insides of an old switch for the illumination.

Click image to enlarge

where did you find the switch of the cruise control? or where you can go? Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #494611 21st Jan 2016 12:17am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dgardel

Italy 
And this one?

AMR3599

Click image to enlarge

Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #494612 21st Jan 2016 12:20am
Bushpig

WOW Shocked
Did not even know that LR made a switch like that!
The 'switch' on my centre console is just a blank which has been laser engraved with the cc icon and wired to illuminate when the cc is activated.
The cc functions off the stalk on the steering column... Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
Douglas Adams

2012 2.2 Puma
Post #494621 21st Jan 2016 5:29am
Bushpig

UPDATE… well, not really...
As you will tell, I have not given up on getting this completed.

I finally managed to source the ideal led, from an unlikely source.
I was scavenging a mates old PowerBook for the cooling fans and the light by the screen release, will suffice.

I've mailed everyone I could find Googling the interweb, who deals with replacement fascias, whole KPH to MPH conversions, etc (Alive / Lockwood / Cluster Repairs / etc).
& F'All! ZERO!!! responses! Not even a, "sorry we don't / can't do that", "you're an idiot for even thinking that possible".

So here is a couple of questions for you all…

If a whole fascia is not able to be manufactured, would it be possible to remove the blanking (black) decal and bond in a cc icon?
There is a 'blanking decal' over the 'hole' where the icon can be placed. (Pic below for reference, but forgot to get one of the rearside)
And using a scalpel blade, this can be removed and the cc icon can be 'glued' in place.
Or am I being a complete idiot even attempting this?

Click image to enlarge

My thinking is most people with cc would like (love) this or am I just suffering from a dreaded form of the "Caterham Syndrome"?
[/b] Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
Douglas Adams

2012 2.2 Puma
Post #562141 7th Sep 2016 2:01pm
Alexke

Belgium 
you should buy a broken IPAC from a Discovery or a Sport and use that.

I would try to insert an LED that illuminates the Speedo dial to RED when its engaged. Discovery 4 SDV6 Landmark
F31 320dA Msport xDrive
LR Defender 90SW TD4 Stornoway grey
320d E46
E70 X5 3.0d Sold!
FFRR TD6 - Sold
Post #563649 13th Sep 2016 3:59pm
BBSJK

England 1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Atlantis Blue
Have you tried the guys below? Not used them personally but the're in my 'just in case I need that list'...

http://www.clusterrepairsuk.co.uk/repair/m...al-display No the other left . . .
Post #563655 13th Sep 2016 4:40pm
Bushpig

UPDATE - CONCLUSION
Alexke, I did look that route, but the rest of the warning icons do not match up and decided it best not to mess with the pcb at all.
Much Googling and I now have a better understanding of how a fascia is made.
There is no way to add extra icons Big Cry
So with still zero response from fascia manufacturers (incl. clusterrpairs, BBSJK) if they can make one with a cc icon and the minimum cost of £80 (BWP 1200)for their standard mph/kph ones, I decided to use Plan Q…

On the bottom corners of the fascia there were 2 opaque circles with nothing on the pcb behind them (see previous pic). Was going to use the left one under the rev counter, but there was no gap in the pcb nor cluster housing to route the wires. So under the speedo it goes.
I sourced a cc icon from a totaled Volvo S40, cut and glued it to the back of the fascia.
Sourced the LED from my old Macbook Pro and glued it to the pcb.
Then drilled a hole in the fascia surround (cover plate) and SUCCESS!!! Milestone Thumbs Up

I'm pleased with the end result, after taking nine months to source parts, even if the green is not quite LR.
Being rather colour blind, it was a mate who pointed this out.

Daytime…

Slightly on the dim side, but still very visible even in direct sunlight.

Nighttime…

I'm happy that I did not cut out the opaque circle as I'm sure the icon would have been way too bright.

Waiting to hear all your thoughts... Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
Douglas Adams

2012 2.2 Puma
Post #565733 22nd Sep 2016 6:34am
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Great end result, looks OEM Thumbs Up James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #565744 22nd Sep 2016 9:30am
Peter Td4

Belgium 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Santorini Black
Nice job, thanks for sharing this Thumbs Up Bow down Peter,

Defender 110 StaWa - Td5
Defender 110 HCPU - Puma
Defender 90 Soft Top - Td5
Post #565758 22nd Sep 2016 10:53am
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Looks fantastic Thumbs Up

Well done on the effort, electronics and circuit boards are all black magic to me so this really is impressive! Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #565773 22nd Sep 2016 12:48pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Very nice job, well done Smile  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #565777 22nd Sep 2016 1:20pm
ddinkaz

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Santorini Black
I have the same CC unit as Bushpig and am trying to get a biclour LED wired up. Can anyone point me in the right direction for which wires go where.

I have identified the Orange, Red & Green wires from the LP Cruise Control sheet posted earlier, however I'm getting the LED lighting up when cruise is off and LED off when the cruise is on.

The installation manual just lists one wire (blue/white) as Active Ground LED Output.

Any help greatly appreciated. Confused
Post #599872 7th Feb 2017 4:51pm
Bushpig

Here you go...

I just had to change the location of the orange wire in the plug Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
Douglas Adams

2012 2.2 Puma
Post #600008 8th Feb 2017 6:16am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>