Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Anti Stall inc Idle Jack
Come on then lets have your thoughts.

Anti stall is OK

I don't like the Idle Jack as sometimes the car goes too fast for my liking. Only now and then I might add. Say for instance when climbing rocks or dropping off a sharp edge. Normally you would simply brake to slow the vehicle down, however the anti stall kicks in and says NO this is how fast you are going and thats that Twisted Evil I discussed this issue with LRE at Solihull a few weeks ago and they said the reason for the throttle jack was that the engine has so much engine braking as its a long stroke that it would simply lock up the wheels (Not Safe) when descending so they lifted the tick over to counteract this.
We have 2 110s and the Utility is not as bad as the CSW in that the Utility will slow down a bit when the brakes are applied. LRE Solihull told me that they thought that the Idle Jack parameters could be altered at the dealers. As yet I have not had chance to find this out.

So the idle jack was introduced because the puma engine has been adapted to operate in a Defender and they then found that it was to torquey so we have to put up with a car that you cant slow down unless you push the clutch in a bit Rolling Eyes
Post #2853 22nd Jul 2008 5:12pm
markalpha

England 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I fully agree, my utility seems abit quick on steep drops(miss down hilly thingy on the D3), very scary in Tixover on steep drops and was not prepared for it. Also bust rear diff which has been replaced under warranty, how you doing at getting a 4 pin diff for yours Andrew.

Mark
Post #2854 22nd Jul 2008 5:51pm
AndrewS

markalpha wrote:
how you doing at getting a 4 pin diff for yours Andrew. Mark

I offered to pay the difference but was then told it would affect the warranty Rolling Eyes So I am waiting for the next one to go and the toys are going out the pram. I have compiled a list of problems time in dealers ect ect and will take it from there. Having said that she has been behaving of late and is a dream to drive. So I'm hoping everything has settled down now.
Post #2872 23rd Jul 2008 1:52pm
markalpha

Lets hope she behaves and the toys stay in the pram. I was thinking about fitting ARB locker but that would also affect the warranty and not sure how it would affect the TC/ABS system. I have lockers on my Merc sprinter and when they are locked the ABS system is disengaged, so not sure how it would affect the Defender.
Post #2873 23rd Jul 2008 1:58pm
CapeLandy

South Africa 
me too
not so keen on the 1000 r/min on the downs and in boulder strewn river beds where the vehicle jerks back and fwd. to keep reaching the 1K revs.
I also spoke to some LR Engineer in the UK via an auzie forum and he reacons no can change as it is programmed in the ECU.
I will wait to hear on this form in the future as I am sure someone will find out how.
James Puma 110 - gone
Series III 1973 - going strong
Post #2879 23rd Jul 2008 3:29pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Next time i speak to the designer or tester ill ask - tbh its been ok for me, not too quick at all.

As for an ARB - yes it would affect the warranty but my question has always been when you have tc why do you then need arb (in most situations) Mike
Post #2880 23rd Jul 2008 4:52pm
markalpha

I only felt the need for an ARB locker if it is going to be stronger than the diff which is in there. Which seems to be a weakness in tough conditions and breaks when TC is doing it's stuff. Hopefully it will be a one off but I know AndrewS has had similar problems.

Lets hope the new diffs which LR are putting in are stronger.
Post #2885 23rd Jul 2008 5:25pm
mse

markalpha wrote:
I only felt the need for an ARB locker if it is going to be stronger than the diff which is in there. Which seems to be a weakness in tough conditions and breaks when TC is doing it's stuff. Hopefully it will be a one off but I know AndrewS has had similar problems.

Lets hope the new diffs which LR are putting in are stronger.

But that problem would be better solved then by a better "uprated" diff? Mike
Post #2886 23rd Jul 2008 5:31pm
markalpha

True any ideas to where you could get one
Post #2887 23rd Jul 2008 5:59pm
mse

Have you tried ashcrofts? Mike
Post #2890 23rd Jul 2008 6:39pm
markalpha

Not yet, new diff was only fitted last week and has not been off road. Will have to wait and see how it gets on. Hopefully just a one off but if it keeps happening will have to improve the situation with something stronger.
Post #2891 23rd Jul 2008 6:53pm
AndrewS

If or when mine goes again I will be going to Kamdiffs for a 4 pin. http://www.kamdiffs.com/4_pindiffcarrier.htm
Post #2892 23rd Jul 2008 7:12pm
markalpha

Looks like they should easily cope with puma engine output. If it's good enough for the Army they should be good for us.
Post #2894 23rd Jul 2008 7:41pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
my understanding is that yes the engine is adapted for the Defender and has nice low down grunt etc.

The gearbox is also developed for the Def with a lower than std 1st to aid pulling away on road with a heavy load/trailer etc.

The problem then arises when you go to low in that low 1st is too low gear ratio'd for the reasons above, hence the idle jack. This when combined with the anti stall means its hard to slow the vehicle below 1100rpm in low 1st which as shown can be a requirement.

Despite that i would have still thought low 1st in a puma @1100rpm is significantly slower than a td5 in low 1st for any given gradient. All ours seem to be anyway.

Ref the diff issue, left foot cadence can help resolve the issue with diff and shafts and those with ETC seem to break less diffs/shafts in my experience.

i see the problem due to the torque mulitplication of having a low gear (low 1st is 33% lower than the TD5) with a 360Nm torque engine running the same diffs and shafts. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #3256 20th Aug 2008 6:12pm
mse

jst wrote:
my
i see the problem due to the torque mulitplication of having a low gear (low 1st is 33% lower than the TD5) with a 360Nm torque engine running the same diffs and shafts.

With a poorer service schedule Mike
Post #3258 20th Aug 2008 6:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>