↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Land Rover Customer Relations > Leaking Fuel Tank and the Vent Valve
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Leaking Fuel Tank and the Vent Valve
Hi - my vehicle has been in to two separate dealers on two occasions each and is still awaiting a satisfactory solution to this issue for me - that would be one where fuel stopped leaking!

Can you look at my posts on this thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post473153.html#473153 and get a Technical Department comment on what the vent valve is designed to do and whether it is one way or two way; and also what is the correct positioning of it in relation to the tank.

There appears to be a difference of opinion from the Workshop Manual and the dealer technical staff as to whether it's a two way or one valve.

As you can see from the photos on the other thread mine appears to dump fuel all over the outside of the tank every time I fill it. If it's designed to do what it says it should do in the Workshop manual (operate as a two way valve) then fitted as it is, I can't see it doing anything else but dump fuel every time it operates.

I'm on my second valve in just a few months and with my warranty expiring next month I am concerned that I'm going to be left with an expensive issue to resolve myself.

Thanks in advance.
Post #473161 16th Nov 2015 7:22pm
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I needed a new seal in the top of my tank. That fixed the leak when over half full.
Post #473206 16th Nov 2015 9:06pm
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello Supacat

I have added to your original thread... If your Tank is good then somewhere on your Breather Pipe the is a leak, could be the Valve, could be the Pipe, from memory the whole replacement is around £100, so the cost to get at it is probably more than this...so replace it all and check it often, every time you fill up and if there is an issue within the last few months of your warranty period then you should still be covered with the guarantee for this work.

Below was mine before coming out with the breather valve in the top left hand corner just visible, the larger dia' (rubber) Pipe had split, the smaller J Pipe (plastic) and Valve were ok.

In fact I didn't check the valve other than clean it and blow through it, as soon as I found the split I replaced both the long and short sections of the rubber Pipe.

Good Luck.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #473271 16th Nov 2015 10:16pm
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 
Hi Supacat,

Should you still be experiencing a concern with this, we would request that this is resolved at a Land Rover approved retailer.

As you have advised you are still awaiting a resolution to this, I would be happy to ensure that your chosen retailer is liaising with our technical and engineering team to resolve your concern.

I will be responding to your PM directly regarding this.

Kind regards,
Pete
Post #473493 17th Nov 2015 2:31pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Pete

Thanks for the pm and your reply on here.

I now have the vehicle back from the main dealer and following my take up of the underlying issue with them the vehicle appears to have been fitted with a revised part to replace the original vent pipe.

For others interested, I'll get some photos and post them up on the thread detailed above. The fix involves a longer and larger diameter rubber hose that brings the vent pipe out to be clipped to the breather hose adjacent to the filler hose in the rear of rear wheel arch.
Post #473858 18th Nov 2015 12:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1