↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > TD5 ECU not responding - is it a Brick?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Mark_110DCPU

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
TD5 ECU not responding - is it a Brick?
having acquired a programmable ECU for my TD5, I set about getting it to work on my truck using Rovacom.

Fist job was to tell it to learn the immobiliser code - no problem, truck now runs on the new ECU.

Second job was to set the injector codes to the same as my old ECU - Having got them out of the old one, I modified the new one to suit, but it would not write them to the ECU.

Having tried his several times, I figured it was running ok without them, so I would have a go at remapping it. The remapping uses two files - the uprated fuel map and variant file, and the existing ones need to be backed up and erasred from the ECU first.

Backup and Erase went fine.

The Fuel map, transferred no problem.

The Variant file started to transfer fine, but commuinateions seemed to fail about 3/4's of the way through the transfer.

Since that point, I have not managed to get the ECU to talk to the Rovacom unit at all. I cannot interrogate the existing settings, erase the corrupted variant file or write new ones. As far as the Rovacom is concerned, it is not there....

Rovacom still happily talks to my existing ECU, so I don't think there is an issue with the interface. I am also powering the Rovacom from a transformer rather than from the vehicle, so battery voltage should not be the issue.

So, does anyone know how to revive the ECU, or is it dead now? I find it hard to believe I can have killed it with a failed programming attempt...

any help much appreciated.

Thanks
Mark [:O|===|O:] 2001 110 TD5 Doublecab
Post #41051 22nd Sep 2010 11:46am
SiWhite

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
I did the same with mine and had the same issue IIRC - can't remember exactly how it got fixed but there was definitely a scary moment when the old fuel map was gone and the new one wouldn't load. I think I had to try a couple of times - each time deleting the old map and loading the new one, and eventually it worked. My blog - www.anacreinhampshire.blogspot.co.uk

110 TD5 BuildHERE - sold!
110 Tdci Build HERE - sold!
Passat Alltrack - 4x4, auto, 45mpg, gloriously comfortable - but not a Defender!
Post #41072 22nd Sep 2010 5:25pm
bell-auto-services

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Hi, really this is a post for the BBS forum, Hovever if you email over me your V and F files and ill see ifi can see any errors.

If its failed part flash it may need a bench repair of which ive done many of.

Are you using a real serial port, USb or wirelesson your RC ?

Pete
Post #41090 22nd Sep 2010 8:18pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mark_110DCPU

Pete,

Thanks for your reply. I am not familiar with the BBS forum... but I will send you the V and F files, and would appreciated your checking them over.

It certainly seemed to fail during the writing of the variant file - around 70% ish through.

I originally used the serial port to carry out the flash, but I have had the same results using the usb adaptor.

Which would you recomoend?

Cheers
Post #41091 22nd Sep 2010 8:41pm
bell-auto-services

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Ive sent you email reply m8, i prefer real serial port myself.

Are you not registered on the black box soloution forum ?

Pete
Post #41095 22nd Sep 2010 9:07pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mark_110DCPU

Pete, thanks for the email, I have sent the info...

Having a dim moment - I know the box as Rovacom... it takes me a while to remember who produces it... i do have access to the support forums, so I will have a look there, but I thought it was ECU related, rather than Vehicle server related - although I am less sure of that now!

I went with serial port originally, as a) I could and b) it seemed like the simplest route without extra adapters. I get the same lack of responsiveness from the ECU regardless of Serial or USB...

Cheers
Post #41109 23rd Sep 2010 12:18am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1