↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Land Rover Customer Relations > Slow Dealership
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
J8GHX

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Land Rover UK impose a number of requirements on their retailers, some of which carry a new vehicle margin adjustment if they are not adhered to. Both demonstrator vehicle and static showroom display vehicles I understand carry quite a weighting on margin. Therefore, if the LR UK Sales Centre tells its dealers that they must have a certain combination of vehicles on display or as demonstrators, they have to do it and comply with the requirements in order to retain their full margin.

Land Rover view demonstrators as 'qualifying' for the criteria when they are available for between 3 and 6 months from date of registration.

I'm sure there will be a criteria set out by Land Rover to their dealers which states how long they must maintain a Defender on their fleet for. When this carries even only a percent or so of their margin for the year, you can see that the dealer could be penalised by tens of thousands of pounds if they do not adhere to requirements.

I'm quite sure the dealer isn't being awkward, or doesn't want to release the vehicle - ultimately, they will have made a profit by selling the vehicle, and neither their targeted salesman or managers will get paid for the sale until the vehicle is paid for and handed over. The dealer staff will be caught between a rock and a hard place.

Although 'your' dealer may not have Defenders left to sell, some dealers do. I'm quite sure that Land Rover have one rule for all dealerships, so it will be down to whichever dealer sells their last one last........

Just my thoughts from my knowledge.

John. Currently....... all gone...... pending delivery of a mid life crisis.......
Previously..... Quite a few! I really am a sucker for them!
Post #469149 3rd Nov 2015 8:40pm
Edzi

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Alaska White
Supacat wrote:
So what are the criteria JLR impose on the main dealers with regard to them having a demo fleet?

My understanding from what I've heard and read is that until all orders are met, the demo vehicle has to be kept as a demo. A bit silly in some ways.
Post #469159 3rd Nov 2015 8:57pm
J8GHX

Edzi,

It really depends which way you look at it. I could easily imagine a thread on this page which says 'I want to spend £35k on a new Defender and my dealer won't let me drive one first, he says there are no demonstrators!...... that's terrible service!....'

Forgive me, but there is two sides to everything I suppose.

John Currently....... all gone...... pending delivery of a mid life crisis.......
Post #469175 3rd Nov 2015 9:45pm
Edzi

I agree completely John. However from what I've been told and read, the order books were closed ages ago for new cars. Keeping demo cars until current, already ordered cars are delivered across the country just feels a bit unnecessary! Having paid a deposit four months ago I'm just really keen to get my first ever Defender Smile
Post #469184 3rd Nov 2015 10:15pm
J8GHX

I can fully understand your excitement!

I've had many Defenders, both new and second hand, and each one has been just as exciting!

Since the end of June, dealers have not been able to order new Defenders from the factory. By the end of June, dealers had ordered all of their build allocation from the factory to cover vehicles being built up to and including January 2016.

Many of those vehicles at the time weren't sold, and some still aren't. I know of a number of vehicles locally which are available, including 110 XS Station Wagons, Utility Wagons and a Landmark or two.

I know it won't settle your excitement though - nothing should - hopefully it will be worth the wait and make the final event of collecting it even more exciting. When there is a story behind, it's always more memorable! Currently....... all gone...... pending delivery of a mid life crisis.......
Post #469188 3rd Nov 2015 10:27pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Order books arent closed, there are just no build slots. Mike
Post #469189 3rd Nov 2015 10:27pm
Edzi

J8GHX wrote:
I can fully understand your excitement!

I've had many Defenders, both new and second hand, and each one has been just as exciting!

Since the end of June, dealers have not been able to order new Defenders from the factory. By the end of June, dealers had ordered all of their build allocation from the factory to cover vehicles being built up to and including January 2016.

Many of those vehicles at the time weren't sold, and some still aren't. I know of a number of vehicles locally which are available, including 110 XS Station Wagons, Utility Wagons and a Landmark or two.

I know it won't settle your excitement though - nothing should - hopefully it will be worth the wait and make the final event of collecting it even more exciting. When there is a story behind, it's always more memorable!

Let's hope Smile Cheers Smile
Post #469505 4th Nov 2015 8:44pm
Edzi

mse wrote:
Order books arent closed, there are just no build slots.

Strange! So a Defender can be ordered, but will never get built?! Wink *humour
Post #469507 4th Nov 2015 8:45pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
mse wrote:

So, with that in mind, is it possible that with a build slot, and a situation where the dealer may not have sold a vehicle relative to that "slot", that someone could still visit the dealer & have a vehicle built to their specs, in that "slot" ?
Pickles.
Post #469532 4th Nov 2015 9:54pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
From my understanding this thread is about dealer honesty?! Why don't they just be honest, and say it's yours but you can't have until ..... Because...... I'm sure you'd have understood and be happy to wait.
Post #469535 4th Nov 2015 9:58pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Pickles wrote:
mse wrote:

So, with that in mind, is it possible that with a build slot, and a situation where the dealer may not have sold a vehicle relative to that "slot", that someone could still visit the dealer & have a vehicle built to their specs, in that "slot" ?
Pickles.

Yes although you would be right close to last orders i would suggest now, even a late Jan one, so you may only be able to add dealer fit options, not change the colour even Mike
Post #469804 5th Nov 2015 6:06pm
Mr Fox

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
JOW240725 wrote:
From my understanding this thread is about dealer honesty?!

Based on my recent experience, whilst trying to change my daily driver, I'd say those last words are an oxymoron.

The sad fact is that far too many LR dealers struggle to deliver the bare minimum of customer service, let alone higher functionality.
Post #469823 5th Nov 2015 7:00pm
fidei defensor

England 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
JOW240725 wrote:
From my understanding this thread is about dealer honesty?! Why don't they just be honest, and say it's yours but you can't have until ..... Because...... I'm sure you'd have understood and be happy to wait.

You are so right but it is also poor business practice and not understanding that customers can deal with the truth. When you have to resort to social media to make them respond it shows their disdain for the customer. LR dealers have it too easy, and LR let them get away with it.

They should take more care of the home market.

F.D LR MY16 Discovery Sport Black HSE
LR MY15 Defender 90 SW TDCI
Post #470212 6th Nov 2015 8:22pm
fidei defensor

England 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Got it at last, it has been parked up in Dealers yard for nearly two months, but the wait was worth it. Dealers gave she who must be obeyed a large bouquet of flowers which was well received.

Click image to enlarge

F.D LR MY16 Discovery Sport Black HSE
LR MY15 Defender 90 SW TDCI
Post #476747 27th Nov 2015 6:24pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Thumbs Up looks great! Now you've just got the 20 trips back to the dealer for warranty work Rolling with laughter Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #476752 27th Nov 2015 6:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>