Home > Technical > New 07 Defender 2.4TDCI Speed limiter
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
bell-auto-services

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
New 07 Defender 2.4TDCI Speed limiter
Hi

Im wondering how you are all getting on with the 82 or 87 mph speed limiter on this model of landrover.
( i personaly hate it )

Im also cusious if any one NON uk has got one of these that does NOT have a limiter on it,
or any on in the Uk what thinks theres does not have it on

As i belive there was a very few left in some other sort of tranceport mode , may be PDI mode and the limiter is not active.
Post #205 8th Jul 2007 11:13am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Please be aware that the same commercial posting rules apply here as on my other sites Smile

Martin
Post #206 8th Jul 2007 12:29pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bell-auto-services

Martin wrote:
Please be aware that the same commercial posting rules apply here as on my other sites Smile

Martin

No problem ,, this question is not a sales tactic it is a genuine intrest in the system/electronics of the new models that i want to fully understand.

Im just building the knowledge of all of the different countrys/spec cars are sent out after PDI inspection.
Post #213 8th Jul 2007 5:53pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Re: New 07 Defender 2.4TDCI Speed limiter
bell-auto-services wrote:
Hi

Im wondering how you are all getting on with the 82 or 87 mph speed limiter on this model of landrover.
( i personaly hate it )

Yep found the 82 limit on mine,, But can be driven through !! only once to test (obviously private land and downhill Wink ) but in reality, has so far not been a problem, 80mph in a 110 is quick enough, certainly in a Defender Rolling Eyes

Martin wrote:

Martin

Think Martin is suggesting a amendment to your signature, Whistle California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #216 8th Jul 2007 7:57pm
bell-auto-services

Thank you TJ for your answer.

I agree 80mph is about all you need in a 110 without loosing the handling of the thing, afterall they are a big bus.its the lack of speed sometimes needed when overtaking that is sometimes a problem in my case.

After tuning the thing the 82mph limiter seemed to get on my nerves a lot more when overtaking OR trying to.
It may be the funny sensation of when it kicks in that im not used to, its like its running out of diesel Sad

The weird thing is that when going up hill the 90 seems to do 1 or 2 more MPH and pulls past the 82 easer and may be gets to 86.

My sig is gone now Smile
Post #218 8th Jul 2007 8:21pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Keeps martin happy Smile

How have you "tune" the 07 model ??,, Just towed the 90 hybrid (near 3 tones all up ) back from seven sisters, Ok only have 1200 miles so far, and the lump is still tight !!, but need a bit more, certainly for towing,
On the way back, feels like more pull in 6th ( 55mph and 2000 rpm) than either 4th or 5th !!! ( yes i know about torque to revs etc)
Also on a hill, it seams to help with the A/C off !! Just a feeling, but when the TD5.s with the same miles, thay had better pull !! probably me !! Rolling Eyes California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #219 8th Jul 2007 8:40pm
bell-auto-services

TJ101 wrote:
Keeps martin happy Smile

How have you "tune" the 07 model ??,, Just towed the 90 hybrid (near 3 tones all up ) back from seven sisters, Ok only have 1200 miles so far, and the lump is still tight !!, but need a bit more, certainly for towing,
On the way back, feels like more pull in 6th ( 55mph and 2000 rpm) than either 4th or 5th !!! ( yes i know about torque to revs etc)
Also on a hill, it seams to help with the A/C off !! Just a feeling, but when the TD5.s with the same miles, thay had better pull !! probably me !! Rolling Eyes

Yes i must admit these 2 seems to be getting more free the more they are drove.
Torque is coming better the more miles they have on.

We have one @ 6000miles and one @ 1600 miles both started of with the same miles on and the 6k one does drive better.

I personaly feel the standard TD5 is better overall than the standard MY07 !! , it may be just me used to that engine im not sure.

I may put a TDV6 in a 90 to see how that goes Smile

We have done various mods to these 90's so far.

Remap of the engine ecu.
Intercooler
Decat exhaust
LPG injection , the list goes on to be honest.

I was at the dyno yesterday and in the first stage of tune on the standard car it made 21bhp more Smile a mild but modest gain in % compared to the 117.5 bhp it made as standard but the feeling of torque is better and helps it pull 6th a lot easer.
Post #220 8th Jul 2007 9:03pm
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Can you not disable the limiter with Test Book? I've been told you can but don't know anyone who's done it yet.

Mine does kick in at 82mph(ish) but isn't a big issue.
Post #253 12th Jul 2007 1:48pm
bell-auto-services

The only way IDS/testbook can disable/delite it is if the car is still in PDI mode from the factory.

Then the user can tell it that the car is NOT uk and another country that dont have a speed limit.
BUT the factory have stoped sending them out im PDI mode now Sad so that trick is over but there is a very few out there that are doing 95mph as standard.

There is options in IDS for setting the limiter to 82 or 87 mph depending on the tyre size, that is the only option for altering it at the moment.
Post #265 12th Jul 2007 9:10pm
highbridgeflyer

Well iv been running our 110xs sw demo from day one. Personally I think the engines pulling power is far superior to my own TD5 D2 ES. I have just under 500 miles on it now ( some of which have been off road Whistle ) and I cant wait for a few more to loosen it up a bit.

My daily drive is a mixture of open road and town work, and it behaves beautifully. On the way home it goes for a play on the odd green lane, of which one has a very long and steep climb. The 110 just pulls it's way up with out effort. Bow down

It has to be the best standerd defender I have ever driven.
Post #276 14th Jul 2007 8:04pm
ADB

Today we successfully removed the speed limiter from a 2007 2.4 Defender 110 CSW.

This was achieved via a software download, and no physical changes were made to the vehicle.
We were also able to reverse the process and resinstall the limiter.

Andrew Betteley
Autologic
diagnos.co.uk
Post #542 11th Sep 2007 12:02am
bell-auto-services

Glad you have managed it in the end.

we did ours a few weeks ago and what a mind boggle it was to do as you will know.
Just finalising the last few parts of it now.
Post #544 11th Sep 2007 10:14am
mmmtea

England 
Question
I have heard that the car goes into limp mode when the limiter is removed using the method described by ADB. mmmtea!
Post #545 12th Sep 2007 8:52am
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
ADB wrote:
Today we successfully removed the speed limiter from a 2007 2.4 Defender 110 CSW.

This was achieved via a software download, and no physical changes were made to the vehicle.
We were also able to reverse the process and resinstall the limiter.

Andrew Betteley
Autologic
diagnos.co.uk

Would you like to remove the limiter on my 110 USW for evaluation. I will be taking it to Morocco in October. I am not that bothered about the speed limiter being removed just wondered if you wanted a vehicle to 'try it out on' in a working environment.
Post #547 12th Sep 2007 7:38pm
ADB

Indeed the car unfortunately did go into limp home mode but this wasn't apparent at the time of my posting.

However, we have proved the concept of removing the limiter and so I am confident that we will get around the
issue of limp home withing the next couple of weeks.

AndrewS, thank you for your offer. We already have another test vehicle available to us.

Andrew Betteley
Post #550 13th Sep 2007 2:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>