↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > moto-lita on 07 puma
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Portafilter

Australia 
moto-lita on 07 puma
hi anyone here fitted a moto-lita steering wheel to their puma? im interested in finding out if they chose the flat or dished option and if either option kept the wheel in relatively the same place in relation to the seat position.
Post #39838 5th Sep 2010 11:43am
BigGeorge

Switzerland 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Keswick Green
http://www.devon4x4.com/products_a/p1921c1...wheel.html

I fitted this one. It's not completely flat (compared to my former Momo steering wheel) but it's also not a deep dish style wheel! The steering wheel comes approx 1 inch closer to the driver. The indicator / wiper switch are therefore a bit further away from the wheel but you get used to it very quickly. It looks great and has just the right size/diameter. The smaller wheels are partially blocking the view to the dashboard . That is especially the case with taller people.
Regards
George The goons are trying to bring me down!

Defender 110 SW MY10 useless piece of Censored ... but I like her
Defender 90 V8 50th Anniversary
Series IIa 109 / 6 cyl. ex-fire truck
Post #39923 6th Sep 2010 8:17am
RED-DOT

Scotland 
I looked into this and contacted Moto-Lita direct.. they say there is a bit of a lottery regarding the spline configuration and advised to remove current wheel then count the splines. Land Rover say they do vary even in the same year build... Then i hear you have to turn the boss down a bit in a lathe to allow flush fitting and indicator cancelling.. so i never bothered and kept the XS leather one as fitted. 2008 RS4 gone, 123d M Sport, and a Puma 90 XS..
Post #39930 6th Sep 2010 10:15am
fekete

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
Here is all the stuff on splines and what boss you need
http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/moto_lita_steering_wheel.shtml NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #39931 6th Sep 2010 10:23am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I have liked the look of the Moto-Lita steering wheels for some time and like Portafilter was unsure what combination to go for, flat, dish, 14", 15" polished, teardrop, slot etc. etc.

I looked at various sites including Moto-Lita themselves and decided as Thruxton was not too far out of my way to turn up unannounced at their premises to see what they could do for me and maybe see what suits best!!!

Bit hard to find as sign on unit was hidden behind tree Doh!!!

Explained I wanted shot of this for something more aesthetically pleasing...

They explained that they didn't normally have callers 'dropping in on a whim' to buy a steering wheel and that they were uninsured to change steering wheels but provided me with the tools to remove mine so splines could be counted to ascertain what boss I needed...48 spline for me needed! YOU NEED TO COUNT YOURS TO MAKE SURE BEFORE ORDERING! (See Fekete's explanatory link on previous post).

They didn't have a polished boss in stock so they generously spent 20 minutes polishing one up for me. Thumbs Up I then tried several combinations and as I didn't want to lose sight of any instruments opted for a 15" flat wheel 'with holes,' topped off with a polished aluminium billet centre. Well happy with the end result. To cap it all received a 'very generous discount' think that may have been due to my Service attachment and the fact they supply alot of flying jackets to the services. Well worth the excellent friendly service if you are able to visit direct, he did say to give 'em a tinkle first next time though so he could be sure to have any/all of one's requirements in stock!

RED-DOT wrote:
Then i hear you have to turn the boss down a bit in a lathe to allow flush fitting and indicator cancelling..

Red Dot you heard wrong me old mucker....This is definately NOT the case as mine cancel fine and the wheel also sits fine and dandy. Thumbs Up

End result....

Portafilter I wanted pretty much the same as you a wheel that would sit more or less the same distance etc. from the stalks and not to lose visibility of any of my instruments...15" flat is a good choice for exactly those reasons! 14" and you lose visibility of rpm from the ten o clock to twelve o clock positions and speed from twelve o clock to two o clock positions approximately! Hope this helps.

Off Topic Rolling with laughter Off Topic

On way home found a village that was throwing a party in my honour...think I may have read it wrong but took a photo anyway... Laughing

If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #40274 10th Sep 2010 1:16pm
fekete

Looks nice Mal still the size of a bus wheel tho Rolling with laughter

What class are you in in the K9 event Dog Dog Dog Dog NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #40281 10th Sep 2010 2:39pm
K9F

fekete wrote:
What class are you in in the K9 event Dog Dog Dog Dog

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Yeah I know I kept it standard size but 'big is beautiful' Karlos, you should know that already! Laughing

In answer to your second question 'Big sharp teeth and balls the size of watermellon class! Grrrrrr Dog Dog ' Laughing If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #40284 10th Sep 2010 3:17pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Just a question...and not trying to be a kill joy...is there any advantage to these wheels??! because is it only me that thinks they look awful Shocked sorry - if there is an advantage then it would just help me to understand.

Incidently - this isnt a comment for you having one, if you like it...enjoy Mike
Post #40288 10th Sep 2010 4:38pm
fekete

Well Malcolm.....I think it looks fine it matches your door handles your wheel nuts and your back silver bits on the back of your cross member....Don't know the name of them Question it gets my vote Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

These bits

Click image to enlarge
 NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #40291 10th Sep 2010 5:10pm
K9F

Mike,

Absolutely no advantage of having such a steering wheel at all! As an engineer I like things that are beautifully engineered and crafted as in this case! Many of my extras serve no purpose whatsoever but the opportunity to individualise your vehicle. Some may like what you have done and some may not!
In your case you obviously don't like the steering wheel, it matters not, and no offence has been taken! Thumbs Up It is the myriad of many wonderful extras available for the Defender that makes ownership and the modification process of them a unique experience!
I am sorry my steering wheel is not to your liking, if you have a standard one fitted I don't like yours either! Rolling with laughter
Ask yourself this in our eyes 'Why do women wear makeup?' Bling bling! If you got it flaunt it! I obviously haven't! Big Cry Laughing If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Last edited by K9F on 11th Sep 2010 11:52am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #40293 10th Sep 2010 5:34pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Why not bling it up - i dont see anything wrong with that Thumbs Up

I suppose i like things that look like they should be there Mike
Post #40294 10th Sep 2010 5:42pm
RED-DOT

Scotland 
I like it but i would have gone for the black version to blend in and not distract... but hey.... NICE! 2008 RS4 gone, 123d M Sport, and a Puma 90 XS..
Post #40297 10th Sep 2010 6:02pm
K9F

Mike,

The wheel matches my aluminium billet door handles..were it not for the fact a pair of SVX aluminium difflock and gear change knobs cost £1000 I'd have them too, but sense and sensibility must prevail! As mentioned I got a significant discount on my purchase. I agree it may not look ideally suited to it's surroundings but I'm slowly getting there!

On a lighter note my missus couldn't believe she spent so much money on the handles as a present for them to be fitted inside where nobody could see them! Rolling with laughter

Thanks for the comments Red Dot! Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Last edited by K9F on 11th Sep 2010 11:54am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #40298 10th Sep 2010 6:03pm
Ads90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
K9F wrote:
Absolutely no advantage of having such a steering wheel at all!

But the 15" Moto wheel is still a touch smaller diameter than the standard, no?

And if that is the case, is it enough to notice a little less trouser-rub, as it were?

I think they look good, my only concern is that they offer less skull protection than the standard padded one, both in the centre, and the (top part of the) rim.
Post #40299 10th Sep 2010 6:41pm
K9F

Ads,

You are 100% right about the increased risk to your noggin in an accident! But hey life's a risk...isn't that one of the very many reasons Defenders are no longer sold in the US?

Your reasoning crossed my mind within half an hour of driving and having it fitted! Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Last edited by K9F on 11th Sep 2010 11:55am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #40300 10th Sep 2010 7:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>