↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Fitted Nakatanenga wheel carrier - questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Iktank

Wales 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Fitted Nakatanenga wheel carrier - questions
Hi

First quick thanks to Brendan for prompt delivery and a well wrapped product - as helpful on the phone as always Thumbs Up
Fitted Nakatanenga wheel carrier over the weekend
Bloody hard work by yourself, no help of wife as she wants nothing to do with my bikes or 4x4s Evil or Very Mad

Any way bolted it all on - which all went Ok just the feting/final adjustments I'm not sure about

Took me ages adjusting the pivot so the wheel sat parallel to the door

Once all sat parallel the stops had to be adjusted so they sit firmly against the door plate, but as can be seen from the picture below there is not a lot of adjustment left

The tyre seem to bounce about a bit, when it was on the door it obviously did not move, but on the swing away away arm it will obviously move due to the whole swing away thing flexing

I therefore assume seeing it vibrate/bounce is normal?

Lifting the spare on and off almost gave me a hernia (i'm def getting old) The spare now sits with the rim of the tyre just touching the bracket
Is this right or should it sit firmly against the lower arm

Gap bigger than door mounted, wheel has moved approx 35mm further away from the door
[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Tyre JUST touching the support arm - is this right ?
[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Nearside stop touching door plate but not as compressed as the Offside stop, note not much adjustment left
[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

The pivot sits on plastic insert - should I have put a stainless washer on this first, the instructions did not indicate one
[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Nearside stop adjusted so sits firmly against door stop
[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

General Picture
[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

General Picture
[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #452824 6th Sep 2015 6:31pm
JellyBean

United Kingdom 
I recently has the same carrier fitted to my 90, and the "wobble" that you describe is familiar. I believe it is a common feature to this particular product. From the photos that you have posted, it looks like you have it sorted in terms of fitting. However, as I didn't do mine mysel, I'm hardly an expert. Hope that helps?
Post #452870 6th Sep 2015 8:08pm
Nevillerover

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Sumatra Black
I've not fitted one of this brand but the one I did before (might have been Mantec) was rock solid, no wobble. Why would you want a swing away that wobbles? Defeats the object I think.
As regard you other point, on that one I used nuts under the wheel which I adjusted till the wheel was perfectly parallel to the door and then put the wheel the wheel nuts on to tighten it.
Post #452881 6th Sep 2015 8:29pm
Iktank

Nevillerover the carrier it's self is solid as the door shuts the carrier arm sits on a neoprene capped support bracket .
The only bit that appears to wobble is the end of the arm that the wheel is bolted to - reading other posts I think I still need to adjust the carrier such that the tyre side wall sits snug to the carrier arm this apparently stops the slight bobble.
Post #452891 6th Sep 2015 8:51pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
With the door open yes it is possible to get some movement in the wheel if you lift it up. Basically it is due to a very small amount of movement in the stub axle bearing being 'magnified' by the lever affect of the arm length.

When closing the door the bottom arm of the wheel carrier should be just lifted up by the rubber pad on top of the saddle mounted on the main bracket on the rear cross member. This should take out the vertical movement of the spare wheel.

Both of the rubber compression bump stops should be in compression to take out front to back motion of the spare wheel.

No harm will come from the tyre touching the actual wheel carrier.

This design has been used for many years without major issues in many countries and on major off road races. We have supplied this wheel carrier to many countries including Zambia, Philippines and Australia. Am sure that Nakatanenga has supplied this to many more countries. The weight of the wheel is taken on the rear cross member.

The bodywork/doors on a Defender can move relative to the chassis. Try lifting an open door on its hinges, or feel the gap between the drivers door and the B pillar when you drive on rough ground or corrugated roads. This gap opens and closes. So any apparent movement of the spare wheel through rear view mirror may actually be the door moving with relation to the chassis rather then the other way around.

Brendan
Post #452903 6th Sep 2015 9:38pm
tonyhedge

2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Montalcino Red
I came across this by accident earlier today when looking for something else:

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic19961.html

Long discussion but head for Page 5-ish, May 2013 for detailed pics etc.

Hope it helps! Good luck. That's not a dent, it's a rivet. That's not a dent, it's a rivet. That's not ... oh! That is a dent!

2014 90 XS SW
1997 Discovery 300TdiS (retired to stud)
1966 Series IIA 88" (now my son's)
2001 Astra - I need something to go and buy the parts when the others are off the road!
Post #452910 6th Sep 2015 9:53pm
Iktank

Thanks Brendan and Tonyhedge

First I must say I am well ahppy with the wheel carrier and I'm a bit OCD when wanting to get things right like all things when they new, then you knock em and scratch them em you dont care any more (or not so much)

Bit more fettling tonight and have it sussed
The actual bits bolted to the chassis and the back of the door no problem. What I had difficulty with was sorting the wheel such that it sat parallel to the door (or such that you could not see it was out) and the slight wobble

Initially the left side and right side were different
And the top was out further than the bottom

The left side and right side are sorted by adjusting the pivot this I got right on the day, and then adjusted the two stops to suit

To cure the wobble have the tyre such that when it sits on the carrier the side wall of the tyre presses against the carrier arm, initially it was just skimming it. to stop the tyre rubbing of the paint I have put some 3M Helicopter tape on the arm where the tyre now presses against - the tyre compresses about 5mm against the arm

To get the tyre sitting plumb (top and bottom equal) was actually really easy
Take the spring clip out of the pivot arm such that the carrier can be swung away from the door so the sliding bracket bolts can be worked on
The sliding adjuster has a bit of play around the bolts so with the tyre on the bracket obviously and this play allows the bracket to tilt.
To cure this I slackened off the nuts holding the wheel on the carrier, slackened of the bolts to the sliding bracket, nipped up the outer most sliding bolts and then tightened up the bottom two nuts holding the wheel on the carrier, as the tyre pushed against the arm the sliding bracket the sliding bracket pushes down the edge furthest away from the tyre, tighten up these two bolts furthest away from the tyre, if all looks plumb continue and tighten them all up properly
Post #453128 7th Sep 2015 7:42pm
andy---doe

United Kingdom 
I was thinking of buying one of these - possibly from Brendan, but I can't be bothered with all that faffing around - I havn't the expertise or patience. I'm not sure my local garage has the attention to detail you obviously have - it would drive me mad if it was not vertical and equally spaced.

So I'm not sure what to do now - unless any other forumers are local to Sheffield and want to earn a few quid fitting one for me Smile
Post #453565 9th Sep 2015 9:33am
Hairysteve

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Barolo Black
Maybe the Safari Single Arm Carrier is an easier configuration option although it isn't stainless? http://www.safari-equip.co.uk/shop/index.p...rrier.html
Post #453568 9th Sep 2015 9:41am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Steve,

The Safari Equipment Single Pivot is the one I have. Whilst it is not stainless mine is second hand and has been on my Defender for a while. The finish is excellent and stands up to the test of time also Brendan sells them. As you can see with a little 'adaptation' bumperettes can be fitted as well. Here is the thread where I bought and put a fitting guide on. Whilst the photographs have gone I do still have them and can send you them if need be!

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic18175....ting+guide

Click image to enlarge
 If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!

Last edited by K9F on 9th Sep 2015 10:26am. Edited 3 times in total
Post #453572 9th Sep 2015 9:51am
Hairysteve

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Barolo Black
Thanks Mal Thumbs Up

Which ever option I choose good old Brendan gets a sale Rolling with laughter
Post #453573 9th Sep 2015 9:55am
nakatanenga

Germany 
No, it is not. The safari carrier is using the same pints as ours....

To be honest: the fitting of our carrier is simple and easy. Pictured fitting instructions are included. Why could it be, that sometimes some adjustment is needed? Well, the carrier is CNC manufactured with very low tolerances, the Defender is handmade with higher tolerances Wink

The minimal "wobble" is not a bug, it is a feature. If it is constructed too stiff it adds to much stress to a cpouple of points. WANTED:

SII or SIII in max 1.5k
Post #453574 9th Sep 2015 9:56am
K9F

No 'featured/calibrated wobble' on mine. Laughing Thumbs Up

Whichever one you opt for they are undoubtedly both excellent pieces of kit with more refinements and a higher quality at the top end of the market, reflected in price! Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Last edited by K9F on 9th Sep 2015 10:13am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #453576 9th Sep 2015 10:07am
nakatanenga

Germany 
The wobble is minimal, a couple of milimeters, not more. WANTED:

SII or SIII in max 1.5k
Post #453577 9th Sep 2015 10:11am
K9F

Wobble may perhaps also be dependent on the size of tyre and weight of wheel. With a 305 tyre and steel Mach 5 nailed on mine is '...kin heavy!' If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #453579 9th Sep 2015 10:15am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>