Home > Maintenance & Modifications > A-bar question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
AndyTunn

New Zealand 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
A-bar question
Hi,
I've bought a 2nd hand A-bar with the wrap-around headlight protectors...

It's in more or less "as new" condition but a few of the bits are missing from the fitting kit...

Click image to enlarge

The bits that are missing are:
1. Spacer - 1 missing, 1 present. No problem, I'll just find a bit of tube with the same dimensions.
2. Washers for bumper mounting brackets. No problem, easy to find.
3. Self-tappers for fixing top brackets to slam bar. Again, shouldn't be a problem - I assume 6g given it's a 3mm pilot hole.
4. (Intentionally left blank! Whistle )
5. Fittings for attaching wrap-around portions to wings. Will either use double-sided tape or find suitable bolts. The hole covers are also missing, might try to find a suitable replacement in an auto-trim shop?
6. Jack extension. Will have to get something made up by a local engineer I guess (or replace my pillar jack with a bottle jack)
7. Screws for attaching wrap-around portions to main A-bar. Does anyone know what size and thread this is?

Question: for those who have this A-bar (or experienced LR fettlers) does the approach above seem sensible? Any other suggestions or tips? All advice gratefully received!

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #452022 3rd Sep 2015 11:59pm
mickygee

Australia 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Heritage Edition SW Grasmere Green
the seller has inadvertently done you a favour. all the original screws and bolts are POS. they rust very quickly and make the whole thing look crap, i know because i had a dealer fitted one which had screws swapped out under warranty twice in 2 yrs. use ss parts where you can
Post #452031 4th Sep 2015 6:14am
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Answers in no apparent order...

As you say you only need the jack extension if you have the jack that fits the sockets under the bumpers, obviously not if you use a bottle jack ...a cheaper option than having bits fabricated.

As I didn't fancy using Rivnuts I used body tape to fix the bars to the outer wing panels, those bits of the bar are purely cosmetic.

You should be able to get some suitable plastic / rubber blking gromments, the originals have a flat face but curved will do at a pinch.

Can't remember the thread size you ask, but it won't be anything fancy. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #452105 4th Sep 2015 10:03am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1