↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > How do you remove pop rivets??,
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Jonno1968

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
How do you remove pop rivets??,
I am replacing the chequer plate all round from silver to black as its a bit less blingy for the colour of my vehicle (nothing against shiney silver!) and it has got discoloured. But....I have drilled the tops off the pop rivets, removed the chequer, and left with lots of sticky out bits. I can't tap them thru as that dents/distorts the surrounding metal and if I try and drill that is sometimes ok but on occasions the drill slips off...... Big Cry is there a different way of doing this? I have stopped pending some miracle advice on here!

Oh...and a word of warning if you do this replacement task the new plate won't necessarily be the same size as the old so watch out for old holes showing!!
Post #450164 28th Aug 2015 7:26pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
It's an issue when replacing chequer plate, that the holes don't line up. You often end up drilling more holes, but generally if your wings have had plate put on, you have to stick with it unless you replace the wings.

The trick is to pick a drill but large enough to allow the pop rivets to fall out or be pushed through easily. If you can get access underneath (possible for most of the holes) you can use pliers to pull he remaining bit out.

Thank your lucky stars they were not fixed with the sunken Allen heads and bolts! 2016 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #450166 28th Aug 2015 7:37pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
It helps if you punch out the stub of the steel expander before doing any drilling (unless it's a sealed rivet when you can't do this). Then drill the head off with a bit the same size as the original hole, or slightly larger. As soon as the head is off, stop and change to a bit slightly smaller than the original hole, and drill to just below the panel surface. Usually this will push the remains out, if not give it a gentle tap with a punch.

Usually it is the steel fragment in the rivet that causes the problem drilling, so get rid of it first.
Post #450180 28th Aug 2015 8:11pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Put the chequer plate back on and drill through the rivets, then if you slip you only scratch the old chequer plate Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #450204 28th Aug 2015 9:22pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
^^^^ Very true, or in case the bit randomly disintegrates!

I'd keep the bits as small as possible to get them out and avoid enlarging the holes at all costs or eventually if your not careful you'll need boots though it instead.
Post #450206 28th Aug 2015 9:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1