↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > The Shooting Thread
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 41 123 ... 394041>
Print this entire topic · 
bluebottle

United Kingdom 
The Shooting Thread
Right - I can't find a huge amount on here about shooting (I have done a search K9F Wink ) so I thought I'd start one.

Perhaps we could pool recommendations, good grounds, clay sites, airgunning etc.

---

To start things off, I've been shooting since I was about 9 or 10. Started target shooting with .22 rimfire at school and was in the school team (although only 3rd VIII - I was always too impatient to group consistently!). Then when I moved to "Big School" at 13 I was enrolled in the CCF and enjoyed mucking about with more .22 and then 5.56 on ranges at Llansilin (which we used to visit with a member of staff in his Lightweight!).
Then I went to Uni where I ended up just doing some light plinking and vermin control at home in the holidays with a .22 air rifle.

Now I've got a .22 PCP air rifle and I'm in the process of applying for a shotgun licence since I've moved out of London and am within easy distance of Bisley. 2005 110 XS - Cairns Blue "Bertha" - Gone, and sorely missed
Post #447369 19th Aug 2015 2:32pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Good thread.

Likewise I have been shooting for as long as I can remember. Miss the days of pintle-mounted .50cal HMGs but ho hum, sort of understand why the general public may fear me having one on my 110. Whistle

However, on a serious note I am also hoping to get my licence out here in France. All three weapon varieties, Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun. Have a couple of local ranges, plus a couple of recommended ranges in Switzerland (thanks Kiptoper), so very much looking forward to it. Whilst official NATO calibres are banned, civilian equivalents are available and weapon ownership is unlimited, although ammunition quantities remain regulated. With this in mind this is what I'd look to get:

http://www.steyrarms.com/products/sporting-rifles/steyr-ssg-08/

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p220r-compact.aspx

http://www.beretta.com/en-uk/692/

Hopefully I will have my licences and at least one weapon by next year and if so, anyone who is passing/visiting and wants a day on the range, let me know... Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #447387 19th Aug 2015 3:28pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Mrs Greeni and I both shoot clays and go 2-3 times a week now !!!
We only started at the end of last year,
There's some good competitive shoots around staffs/cheshire areas and we can easily shoot 75 'bird' shoots every weekend.

I'm off to Doveridge this evening, as they open late on a Wednesday, or I have a choice of going to a 50 bird shoot at a nearby ground, but I get eaten by mosquitoes there !!!

Clay shooting is like motorbike trials, VERY popular, with lots of places to go every weekend, though it's not a well known 'sport' !

A chap in the office shoots rifles for Wales !
Post #447393 19th Aug 2015 3:53pm
red zepplin

1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Rioja Red
took up shooting about 18 month ago bought a dog Dog sold the merc ( I thought it was my forever car) Question bought a tdi Idea NEVER LOOKED BACK Thumbs Up
Post #447412 19th Aug 2015 4:52pm
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
“I can't find a huge amount on here about shooting”

I can’t find a huge amount on here about ballet dancing, either. That’s why I use this one to view things about Defenders, and TutusTodaydotcom for my other passion…

Peter
Post #447415 19th Aug 2015 5:29pm
Venomator

United Kingdom 
@Birdy...
What's your problem Peter.. Question

Guns and Dogs and Landys go together like strawberrries and cream and bubbly... Rolling Eyes

And we are in Off Topic, where pretty much anything goes, so if you want to start a thread on ballet dancing, knock yourself out... Laughing

I guess the OPs observation on searching for Gun stuff was to check he would not duplicate with his intended subject, simples... Mr. Green
 Rog... Mr. Green
The GREEN One...

MY2016 Urban Truck Build Thread - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40548....al[/color]
Post #447423 19th Aug 2015 5:56pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Birdy wrote:
“I can't find a huge amount on here about shooting”

I can’t find a huge amount on here about ballet dancing, either and TutusTodaydotcom for my other passion…

Peter

Now going out in the field with a nice Ballerina dressed in a Tutu, mixing the odd Demi-pointe and Rond de jambe, while giving the Purdey over and under a good seeing to Whistle , would be a thread worth reading Rolling with laughter For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #447466 19th Aug 2015 7:08pm
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
Sorry wrong thread! 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.

Last edited by ian series 1 on 19th Aug 2015 7:25pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #447474 19th Aug 2015 7:24pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Off Topic is fine on my forums as long as it's in the OT areas Smile  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #447477 19th Aug 2015 7:25pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LiftedDisco

gilarion wrote:

Now going out in the field with a nice Purdey over and under, mixing the odd Demi-pointe and Rond de jambe, while giving the Ballerina dressed in a Tutu a good seeing to Whistle , would be a thread worth reading Rolling with laughter

There you go, corrected for accuracy...!

I get the occasional day out with the clays - I'm more of a social shooter, so happy to break a few, chat a bit and spend time with the lad who's actually a better shot than me.

Sporting or DTL normally - Charlie is the DTL demon though!
Post #447505 19th Aug 2015 8:33pm
Fellrunner

2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Shoot a few clay days each year, and try to get in two or three driven days - I really enjoy the social aspect.
Post #447512 19th Aug 2015 8:49pm
Jonno1968

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
One of the reasons I gave the Landy is to go shooting! Air, snotty, firearms. I am off to some new land at the weekend so can't wait. So hard to find places to go.
Post #447519 19th Aug 2015 9:00pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
LiftedDisco wrote:
gilarion wrote:

Now going out in the field with a nice Purdey over and under, mixing the odd Demi-pointe and Rond de jambe, while giving the Ballerina dressed in a Tutu a good seeing to Whistle , would be a thread worth reading Rolling with laughter

There you go, corrected for accuracy...!

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Sometimes I forget what it is like to be young and just have to rely on my memories. Just the image of a young ballerina in a short tutu griping a well-oiled stock or butt was enough for me to reach for my heart pills…. Laughing For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #447525 19th Aug 2015 9:23pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I've had dogs all my life and shooting since I was a kid, I've also had Land Rovers for decades. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #447529 19th Aug 2015 9:38pm
uncas

United Kingdom 
There's a very popular clay shoot just over the Wood head pass on the old Glossop road and for the life of me I can't remember the name of it. I think the surrounding area is called Longdendale but as I've only had one cup of coffee this morning I'm more than likely wrong

Uncas
Post #447609 20th Aug 2015 8:48am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 41 123 ... 394041>