↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > The Shooting Thread
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 20 of 41 <123 ... 192021 ... 394041>
Print this entire topic · 
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Anyone going to the Game Fair this weekend? We are going on Saturday but not sure about taking the dogs due to the hot weather. It’s a shame as we normally run in the scurries and fastest retrieve.
Post #719370 24th Jul 2018 7:46am
stanley

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Our poults are going to wood that weekend so won’t be there ,don’t forget free entry if a member of BASC
Post #719371 24th Jul 2018 8:06am
Alex1976

England 
I will be there on Saturday too! It should be a good (but hot) show this year. It will be tough on the animals attending/showing as the heat will not be nice for them.

I am hoping to find some breeders/owners to talk to about Cocker Spaniels.
Post #719430 24th Jul 2018 1:10pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
I'm sure Will Cullee will be there.
Post #719443 24th Jul 2018 2:43pm
Doc P

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
stanley wrote:
Our poults are going to wood that weekend so won’t be there ,don’t forget free entry if a member of BASC

Ours too. This and next weekend.
Post #719446 24th Jul 2018 3:39pm
stanley

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
going to be an early start to get them in in the cool
Post #719449 24th Jul 2018 4:12pm
Romadog

We'll be there on Saturday. Just received tickets this evening. Thumbs Up

With regards to dogs......they are part of the reason to go, but if its going to be hot like it has been, then they are better off chillin at home. Walking about on the hard ground in the heat with little shade, will not be enjoyable for them and put more stress on us and make day less enjoyable.
Also if they need to do their business, it would be sloppy specials d Crying or Very sad ue to the heat
Post #719464 24th Jul 2018 5:29pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
We took the 110 to a walked up working test today. I ran the pup and my 11 year old son Oli ran the 8 year old. The test was run along field trial lines, 28 competitors and round one saw 8 eliminated. Oli started his ‘career’ with an eyewipe, eliminating the chap next to him. I got binned out at round 3 but Oli and Willow made it through to the last five and got a certificate of merit (and a dummy and a free lesson)! Very proud Dad and I even enjoyed the grief I’ve had ever since re being beaten☺️.

It was a great day, really well run by the Cotswold and Wyvern club. Oli and Willow on the end, 110 in the background.

Click image to enlarge
Post #723128 12th Aug 2018 9:22pm
Doc P

Well done. Always admire those who train their dogs with more effort than I do 👍👍
Post #723197 13th Aug 2018 11:53am
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
I am very much at the bottom of the heap when it comes to dog training but I find it very relaxing and a complete break from work etc. It also makes you take stock of where you are - I’m training the youngster with far greater empathy than I did the old dog. I just do a 10-15 minute session a day and that is it, just try and make it quality.
Post #723198 13th Aug 2018 11:59am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
^^^ exactly what i find. my lab turned two in Apr. She had a really good first season on ph and duck with some lovely river retrieves towards the end of the season. Has been my more stable with age whilst pigeon shooting last month or so and will now start to ramp up training again for the coming season.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #723210 13th Aug 2018 1:17pm
Doc P

My two are still very young - the older being 3 and the pup is 2 in September. Both are what you'd call 'hot' dogs! Very keen but sometimes far too fast. Both are 'Drakeshead-sired' and so very much working types physically.

The older dog's a brilliant finder of game and has a penchant for duck retrieves on the water. The little one's a spaniel in labrador clothing and I envisage him being my beater. I have to work them separately as they're too much of a handful together but that actually works quite well on a walk and stand shoot like mine.

Friend of mine says he'd rather have all that enthusiasm than a disinterested and so very steady dog any day!

I'm looking forward to them calming down a bit TBH - just to give me a rest - but I don't want them to age Neutral
Post #723223 13th Aug 2018 2:31pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
They are definitely more rewarding with a bit of spirit, I've seen some very steady peg dogs that sit all day on the peg looking lovely but doing nothing, like a fashion accessory. With the hot ones it is quite nice when they settle a bit. I fully expected the old dog to jump out of the line yesterday and go without being asked, she was a nightmare as a youngster and thought every bird was hers. When she was 2 it took her a morning out with me on a peg to realise I couldn't concentrate on her and shooting - entirely my own fault and a valuable lesson learned. She is a great picking up dog, perfect for the kids to work with and as she has aged she has become more selective (you missed that behind....again...!).

I'm taking it steady with the youngster, 10 years plus is a long time with a poor dog. We will do a bit of picking up this year, but she will be out for the experience rather than to do a job so one or two very dead retrieves per day.
Post #723224 13th Aug 2018 2:52pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
the difference in mine a year on pigeon shooting this year compared to last is massive. Last year if i left the hide to re-position deeks she would of manoeuvred herself to just outside the net and be sat watching. this year she just stays put in the hide. when picking up she has learnt to follow her nose not just run pointlessly at the first thing she sees. is taking directions much more fluidly too. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #723230 13th Aug 2018 3:39pm
Slideywindows

England 
Nice reading about Labs. Thumbs Up

When my last one was young, she rushed about chasing every dead leaf blowing around the yard.

When older, she lay there, opened one eye to see what the noise was, then closed it again.

When young she was frightened of tractors.

When older she lay in the yard and didn't move, knowing the wheel would miss her by half an inch!

Never did manage to stop her chasing after hares though - a lost cause every time, but she never learnt...... Banging Head

Miss the dogs now.

In my opinion, a Land Rover without a Labrador is only half a Land Rover.
Post #723265 13th Aug 2018 6:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 20 of 41 <123 ... 192021 ... 394041>