↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Removing LT77 Gearbox
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Mike.s

Removing LT77 Gearbox
Hi,

I`m replacing the gearbox on my 200 Tdi. I`ve read the workshop manuald and it says to remove it, i have to disconnect all the front fan housing and radiator connections on the front of the engine.

I guess this is to to enable it tilt back so you can slide the gearbox off the engine with the gearbox clearing the body work.

I know the workshop manuals are a bit over zealous sometimes in their steps.

I`m borrowing an engine crane from a friend and plan on dropping the gearbox and transfer box together on to the floor/jack then pulling them out.

Do i really have to remove all the front bits off the engine or is not too bad really?

Cheers, Mike
Post #447104 18th Aug 2015 3:06pm
I Like Old Skool

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi ST Coniston Green
From my memories of doing this to my own 200tdi defender when working on the drive I am sure I only removed the viscous fan from the front end to stop it hitting the cowling. Hoses should be fine. I also have a vague memory of the transfer lever or gear lever stub being a pain to get past the seatbox (transmission tunnel out obviously) but can't remember if it is necessary to remove the selector housing before removing the boxes?
Post #447106 18th Aug 2015 3:12pm
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
No need to at all. Take the fan off if you're worried or something under the flywheel housing to stop it drooping down.
Post #447236 18th Aug 2015 11:51pm
Nidge

Ireland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Cairns Blue
Keep up the good work Mike.....it will soon be good as new Wink

I could do with your welding skills on the latest yoke I bought.....

Nigel.
Post #447245 19th Aug 2015 5:51am
Mike.s

Cool - hopefully, i`ll get away with just removing the floor and gearbox tunnel to gain access Smile

Cheers Nidge - getting there - truck is used pretty much everyday. I was putting up with the crunchy 3rd gear and double declutching it, but have been keeping an eye out for a 2nd hand one for a while. Picked one up this week which was a recon fitted to an ex mod 110 which has a slightly lower 1st and 2nd gear - will hopefully pull away a bit quicker with the disco transfer box and my big wheels. I`ve also had it tuned up by a guy who loves his diesels and it really flys now Smile

Should update my thread really!
Post #447270 19th Aug 2015 8:26am
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Quote:
Cheers Nidge - getting there - truck is used pretty much everyday. I was putting up with the crunchy 3rd gear and double declutching it, but have been keeping an eye out for a 2nd hand one for a while. Picked one up this week which was a recon fitted to an ex mod 110 which has a slightly lower 1st and 2nd gear - will hopefully pull away a bit quicker with the disco transfer box and my big wheels. I`ve also had it tuned up by a guy who loves his diesels and it really flys now Smile

Should update my thread really!

I would definitely be interested to hear about that Thumbs Up Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #447298 19th Aug 2015 10:02am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1