↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Losing drive / Transfer slips into neutral
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Bastion

United Kingdom 
Losing drive / Transfer slips into neutral
I drove my Defender for the first time yesterday..

It was a deliciously savoury experience that really can and should only mature like a wine becoming vintage. There's a small problem though that's put a stop to the driving for the moment and that's the transfer box which jumps out of hi-range into neutral. Yesterday I thought i may have inadvertently nudged it but today i'm sure I didn't. Yesterday i was going about 20 on a quiet road, today I was doing about 60 on a duel carriageway when I lost drive.

I'm not sure what the issue is, gears not meshing properly or something with the transfer lever.. I've always engaged the transfer box whilst at a standstill. It's a bit of a dampener and since it's happened on each drive i've been on it's clearly an issue and needs to be sorted out because the vehicle can't go anywhere without me being confident that it won't happen again. I haven't even been on the highway yet and i'm not sure that I can at the moment.

Also anyone know how much punishment the transfer case can sustain? The vehicle doesn't even have 40kms on it and i've had to put it into hi-range from neutral while going about 20-30. It really didn't like it but i'm sure would have liked it a lot less if someone had smashed into the back of it.

Has anyone got any experience with this kind of issue, i'm not the most mechanically minded person but if i have to begin on day 3 I will..
Post #445600 12th Aug 2015 11:39pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
If you've only just bought it then go back to the dealer but first of all get in and just see that the lever feels "positive" in its movement. Put the main gear lever in first or reverse at a standstill then with the High/Low lever in neutral pull it back into High with the clutch in, keep your hand on the lever and gently let the clutch out and feel to see if the lever "meshes" into gear fully. You might find that as you let the clutch out that it fully meshes into gear. It might be something as simple as the sound proofing(yes it does exist!) is hampering the lever throw or the linkage needs adjusting slightly.
I'm not saying driver error but sometimes Land Rovers with their "up to date" technology need a bit of help Whistle
Post #445607 13th Aug 2015 12:33am
Bastion

United Kingdom 
Hi JWL,

Thanks for this, and yes, it works as you've outlined. It feels like it fully meshes into gear but what I wonder is if it'll come out again as I travel. When I put it in gear yesterday I believed that it fully linked (can't be 100% sure of course) but then it came out.

Unfortunately the dealer is a ship and 5000km away in Middle England. This is something i'm going to have to take care of locally.
Post #445657 13th Aug 2015 8:59am
munch90

England 
when changing from hi to lo , lo to hi best to move lever drive forward few feet then give the lever another tug to make sure its fully engaged
Post #445660 13th Aug 2015 9:04am
Bastion

United Kingdom 
Hi Munch,

Thanks. I did this before a short drive out earlier and it stuck fast as was supposed to. Hopefully between your advice and JWL's it should be ok. Only time will tell.. the locals around my neighborhood are going to be wondering why that guy seems to be driving in circles though.. Whistle
Post #445784 13th Aug 2015 1:33pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
As has been said it is not uncommon for the transfer lever not to be fully meshed but still be in enough to provide drive until it decides to pop out usually at the most inconvenient time - ie under power. Using the lever every now and again will help to free up th mechanism and keep it free. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #445792 13th Aug 2015 1:55pm
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
It can be a case that the gear selection rod has not been adjusted right from the factory. That was just discovered on mine after 5 years! Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #445809 13th Aug 2015 3:41pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
captainbuckynohair

England 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
Hello fellow defender owners.

I too have recently taken delivery of a Defender and although very interested in cars, this is my first dip into the off-road market or anything out of he norm. After travelling almost 500 miles, I too have suffered the same fate of loss if drive but only when stationary. I have experimented with this lever before but during a very short burst of towing, the lever popped-out and think that I also incorrectly engaged when putting it back in drive. Now I've experimented and selected a gear allowing the lever to operate freely, I can now 'feel' the lever engage fully.

As I'm suspicious with your problem Bastion, at hand-over the dealer did not explain how the lever worked and said 'as long as its down there somewhere, it'll be fine for the road' this is fine for the short-term and until reading the manual, but what the manual can't show you is the feel you get when it's fully engaged.

Anyone know the significance of driving with the lever only partially engaged, giving drive? It this likely to contribute or cause damage? I don't think I've done all 500 miles like this but certainly some. One time I could hear an incredibly faint shinning noise on acceleration and convinced this was when it was not fully engaged!?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Post #494301 20th Jan 2016 8:18am
captainbuckynohair

'Whining' noise, not shinning! Not so smart phone.
Post #494303 20th Jan 2016 8:27am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
A whining noise (or even a shining noise!) is unlikely to be the result of only having partial engagement of the high range transfer gear dog clutch.

Prolonged use of the vehicle with the high range gear not fully selected is likely to cause wear on the selector dog clutch, but in all honesty it is unlikly that you will have caused any problems, damage, or wear with what you think you've done. I really wouldn't worry about it!

The best method for engaging either low or high range is to have the engine running, the main gearbox in gear (probably first or reverse, but in reality any gear will do). With the clutch pedal presssed firmly to the floor, move the transfer gear selector lever smoothly and decisively into neutral then into the destination gear. It may or may not feel as though it has moved fully into gear, but in either case very gently ease up on the clutch until either the lever moves the last fraction, or the vehicle tries to move. It should be unmistakable. When this happens, clutch pedal down again, then go about your business.

it is comparatively rare (especially with a nice tight new transmission) for the engagement to be full without this (or an equivalent) technique. It is all part of the joy of Defender ownership - the fact you have to work at driving it and understand what it is doing!

It is possible under fault conditions for the transfer box to jump out of gear. Like all traditional gearboxes, the selector is held in gear by spring-loaded detent balls pressing into notches in the selector shaft, and if these are sticking then there is nothing actually prevent the selector shaft and fork assembly from moving and jumping out of gear. Also, more commonly, iif the external parts of the gearshift mechanism are covered in crud it can prevent full travel of the mechanism, and this can prevent the detents from engaging.
Post #494328 20th Jan 2016 10:06am
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
TBH the high / low range lever only being partially engaged yet still delivering drive [until it pops out with a bang usually at the most inconvenient time] can even happen to us salty old beggars who have driven Land Rovers for decades Whistle

The system is an old design so time needs to be spent to ensure proper engagement. If you drive with the lever partially engaged you may, or may not, notice a little more slack in the transmission - but much depends on how tuned in to your vehicle you are. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #494381 20th Jan 2016 1:06pm
gazman

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Alpine White
I've had this happen to me
But it only happens immediately after using low range. I've found that it's me not engaging it properly, now I select high and lift the clutch slightly whilst pulling it back into high.

If it does jump out stop the vehicle before trying to select high again. I did it with the clutch in once I'm gear but rolling and the bang scared the life out of me. I guess it's a straight cut box, no idea if double de clutch would help. 2014 - current ..... 2003 defender td5 90 (my car)
2009 - current .... 2005 zx10r
Post #494482 20th Jan 2016 6:49pm
Treebeard

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Chawton White
I had the problem recently of the xfer box jumping out of high (always went properly into low). Sometimes it would go in properly and stay in. Sometimes no matter how I tried I could only get it partially in, and it popped out at an awkward moment. Turned out to be that one of the retaining clips Frc8548 in the linkage had come off and the pin had worked half way out resulting in some lost travel. I could see it from underneath the car and also by shining a torch down the hole in the gear tunnel (foam removed). New clip on and all good again.
Post #494485 20th Jan 2016 7:03pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
gazman wrote:
I've had this happen to me
But it only happens immediately after using low range. I've found that it's me not engaging it properly, now I select high and lift the clutch slightly whilst pulling it back into high.

If it does jump out stop the vehicle before trying to select high again. I did it with the clutch in once I'm gear but rolling and the bang scared the life out of me. I guess it's a straight cut box, no idea if double de clutch would help.

I suspect you mean "clutch out", ie pedal pressed, which if you're rolling is likely to make bad noises unless you match the gear speeds (as you do when double de-clutching). The problem of course is that everything between the clutch and the intermediate gears in the transfer box will stop moving after you've pressed the clutch, whilst the output shaft of the transfer box will be moving, driven by the wheels. Result, nasty noises. Clutch in, and provided you match speeds correctly, it should be silent..

The LT230 transfer boxes are helical cut not straight (early vehicles were helical on high and straight on low) and are constant mesh on both gearsets. Selection is by dog clutch and there is no synchro.
Post #494492 20th Jan 2016 7:35pm
captainbuckynohair

Thanks everyone for your comments, stories and knowledge. I always knew Defenders had huge followings but maybe not aware of just how much. As a new owner and novice who is willing to learn, it's very nice to know there is loads of advice and help out there at the click of a button.

It makes every sense that it will take time to tune into the car and understanding of how it works will come with time and experiences I guess! Anyone know of any links to any good diagrams of the transfer box so I can see what is happening when I'm operating it?

My new toy: Nov 2015 90XS hardtop in Santorini Black
Post #494907 21st Jan 2016 8:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1