Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Rear CSW Seats removal: How to with pics
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Rear CSW Seats removal: How to with pics
This is something many people seem to do and I also wanted to remove the rear forward facing seats in my CSW 90, to give me more room for dogs and shooting kit etc. Everyone on the forum says "It's easy" but that's only if you know how to attack it, with these guidelines it should make it easier for others.

Tools you will need:

A socket set with a 13mm socket
    Extension bar to aid torque and access
    A T star bit size 40
    Mini phillips screwdriver
    Flat screwdriver

This job will take about 90 mins max if you are taking your time and being as attentive to detail as I am. Very Happy

Here's what you will be looking at to start with:

Click image to enlarge

So, the seat itself has two brackets on the top of the wheel boxes, each covered with plastic trims. The bracket nearest the rear door has a handle, slide off the plastic handle cover and remove the two tiny plastic rivets. They can be screwed out gently using the small philips screwdriver, I found mine stuck in so I put some pressure behind with a flat headed screwdriver to force it out more. Once both rivets are off the plastic covers simply lift off. They reveal the following. There is now a metal bracket each end and these are held down with 2 star bits each side which screw into captive threads in the bodywork. This makes life easier as you don't need an assistant and you can do all the work from within the cabin. I liberally sprayed all the exposed threads under the wheel arches with WD40 and attacked them briefly with a wire brush and more WD40 to make this easier for me.

Once the 4 star bits are undone the seat is now held in place by a captive bolt built into the bracket which passes through the wheel arch. There are now 2 nuts on the other side you can undo with your 13mm socket from above the tyre. I found mine slacked off easy, then got harder, then got slack again, probably as rusted thread made it's way off.

NOTE: Make sure you have folded the seat down onto its frame before undoing the last 2 nuts, as one end is spring loaded and it will move on its own. Best be safe than cause damage or injury.

Next, the seat is held to the lower frame with a check strap (as seen in the top picture). This is simply held onto the frame with a plastic rivet that can just be pulled out, it doesn't screw in. The seat can now be lifted out of the car - it's quite heavy so be careful of your footing when getting out of the boot.

Then it's time to remove the fold-down frame which is fixed to the side of the wheel arch and the floor.

Again, there are now 4 star bits size 40 with captive nuts in the bodywork, per side of the seat (8 in total). Remove them all and then the frame can be wiggled out of the carpet.

I cleaned up the now exposed bracket areas and squirted WD40 down the thread holes. I also squirted all the star bit threads with WD40. In a belt & braces fashion I also put a blob of copper grease on the threaded holes, so it sealed with the washer and bit.Then you can replace all the T Star bits into their captive thread holes - this serves 2 purposes: To seal the holes and to keep the screws where you can find them for if you want to put the seats back!

Click image to enlarge

You are left with 2 holes on the top of the wheel arch from the captive nut that was on the bracket each end of the seat. I filled these with a large enough nut (17mm) and bolt with washers and a spring washer to keep it tight, and sealed around the holes with copper grease. You can do this without an assistant if you place your socket ratchet on top of the bolt in the cabin, get underneath in the wheel arch with your washers and nut and start to tighten. Once the spring washer engages you can just ratchet it up.

Click image to enlarge

After doing each side I got under the wheel arch with my tub of copper grease and a stiff little brush and coated all the threads with it to ensure it is easy to undo for me or the next owner in many years to come.

Then just whip round with the hoover as there was bound to be some dog hair or dirt around the seat brackets. The end result is much more space, and now all I am going to do is fit a genuine pick up style rear rubber mat, to cover the floor and wheel boxes.

Hope that was helpful. It's an easy enough job for anyone with a socket set. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
 2016 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol

Last edited by RRUK on 10th Aug 2015 6:28pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #444747 10th Aug 2015 7:59am
munch90

England 
good write up , but bolts are T40 not T35

t35 may work but your risking damage to the bolt

t35 is quite a rare size and tends to be for tamperproof bolts
Post #444759 10th Aug 2015 9:17am
YOLO110

Australia 
Following my recent 'poll' thread on whether to remove the seats or not, this is a brilliant and very useful post!

Many thanks. Thumbs Up

Pete. Very Happy YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #444765 10th Aug 2015 9:21am
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
munch90 wrote:

Just figured it out.

You are right, it is a T40. My bit set are the hollow star bits and in those, it took a T35.

I'll edit the post above 2016 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol

Last edited by RRUK on 10th Aug 2015 9:53am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #444772 10th Aug 2015 9:44am
Bears Dad

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zermatt Silver
Good job!
Post #444773 10th Aug 2015 9:45am
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
YOLO110 wrote:
Following my recent 'poll' thread on whether to remove the seats or not, this is a brilliant and very useful post!

Many thanks. Thumbs Up

Pete. Very Happy

It was your thread and others Pete that spurred me to write it up. Many newer Defender owners want to do this but are not keen on DIY stuff, I wanted to show it can be very easy. 2016 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #444774 10th Aug 2015 9:45am
munch90

England 
RRUK wrote:
munch90 wrote:

Just figured it out.

You are right, it is a T40. My bit set are the hollow star bits and in those, it took a T35.

I'll edit the post above

Thumbs Up

and just about to remove one of my seats ready for holiday to get bit extra room , I made a small shelf that bolts inplace of seat
Post #444778 10th Aug 2015 10:04am
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Munch90, you should post a pic of that, ideas for others are always handy. 2016 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #444800 10th Aug 2015 10:39am
munch90

England 
Post #444809 10th Aug 2015 11:08am
munch90

England 
if I could add my two pence worth to write up

wire brush bolt exposed threads and nuts under wheel arch and spray with wd40 day before ( or few hours before )

the exposed threads could be rusty and either seize and snap or damage threads in fixed nuts in arch/floor

the threads in the fixed nut in the floor are not the best , when refitting the bolts make sure they screw in coulpe of threads by hand as there quite easy to cross thread
Post #444811 10th Aug 2015 11:14am
Pete4810

2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Ive just done it - and to remove the seats took apx 90 minutes.

You will need the T40, and you should make sure the seats are returned to the folded position just prior to removing the last bolts.

I now have loads of space in my 110 - prior to next weeks european road trip!
Post #444910 10th Aug 2015 4:21pm
Sadi

Namibia 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Heritage Edition SW Grasmere Green
Thank you for the nice write up !! Thumbs Up
Post #444953 10th Aug 2015 6:19pm
AndyTunn

New Zealand 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Nice write up! I've found you get quicker with practice. Also, if you don't need a totally flat floor space then it's a bit quicker to remove the hinge bolts from the brackets holding the fold-down frames, rather than remove the whole bracket.

Last tip: a cut-to-size bit of 15 or 18mm ply makes an ideal load platform, and provides a bit of "security space" for any items you want to keep out of sight...

Click image to enlarge

This one is fitted with M8 captive bolts that line up with the holes through the arches to hold it in place.

(See this post... http://www.defender2.net/forum/post424340.html#424340 for details if you're interested)

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #445121 11th Aug 2015 9:00am
Coatesyyy

United Kingdom 
Very useful guide, thank you Thumbs Up
Post #655657 7th Oct 2017 6:38pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Many thanks to RRUK for this how to do it post ... very useful and easy to follow !
Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #662153 6th Nov 2017 9:58am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>