57%  [12]
Total Votes: 21

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Mr Fox

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
A Bit of Advice, please
I appreciate that asking for advice on topics such as this is a bit of a cop out because ultimately, I have to make the decision; however, as I can't go down to the pub and kick the idea around, over a few pints, with a bunch of mates, this is the next best thing! The virtual pub!

I've had my 90 XS for a few months and still love it; however, I now have the option to buy a 90 Adventure.

I can get out of my XS relatively painlessly and into the Celebration but I keep flip flopping back and forth as to whether the Adventure is worth it.

On the upside, snazzy paint, premium seats, the adventure extras and the fact it is end of line but just when I think that has won me over, I think about my perfectly good XS SW and think, is the uplift in cost really worth it.

I'd love to hear how others would rationalise it, or negate the desire to change. Bow down

Thanks in advance - appreciate hearing others thoughts on this.
Post #441193 28th Jul 2015 10:06pm
couplands

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
One thing that bothers me about the Adventure are those side skid plates. They look like massive mud traps and can't see them providing any real protection.

If you're only using your Landy as a street cruiser then maybe they're ok, but not really any good on green lanes.

These celebration models look great, but the price premium is something I'd worry about.

Probably no help whatsoever, but it's just what would happen in a real pub conversation... Laughing

Cheers

Simon

Ps I'll take your 90 off you if you're selling.. Very Happy
Post #441195 28th Jul 2015 10:15pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
I got wind of the 3 "celebration models" as i was ordering my 15MY,, last year,, for what i wanted, was just not an option,

Few of the Adventure's kit was needed,, Seats of no use to me ,, Rack would have been sold off, wheels and tyres would be replaced, etc etc,,

So spent the extra on factory options and kit i wanted, California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #441197 28th Jul 2015 10:23pm
YOLO110

Australia 
I had the same dilemma in a different way when deciding whether to cancel my Celebration Edition order and getting one of the last cars, specced how I wanted.

For me, the Celebration editions will always be a bit 'special' as they are just that, celebration's! Limited editions, though not that limited, but even so as a long term 'keeper' I think for me they would bring more long term satisfaction.

So, if getting out of your XS is not painful, I would go for it. I think if you saw one next to you in a few months whilst driving your car, you would probably regret not taking up the opportunity! Good luck!

Cheers, Pete! Smile YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #441199 28th Jul 2015 10:35pm
apt100

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Well I have got an XS 90 due shortly, and wasn't the slightest bit interested in any of the celebration models - so that tells you which way I voted. But out of interest how much extra (roughly) would it cost you to swap? It might be a bit nosey, but that is the first question I would ask you down the pub Thumbs Up
Post #441200 28th Jul 2015 10:36pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
AM94,...What spec is your XS? Does it have a lot of "you" in it, ie a lot of options specified from new just for you?,...or is it just an "ordinary" one, which of course if it is, is just fine.
So, I reckon it depends how attached you are to what you have, and if that "attachment" is nothing special, just "so so", then I think you should go for the Adventure, which certainly is, "special".
Pickles.
Post #441209 28th Jul 2015 11:03pm
nidge n

Wow, this may get even more confusing. I have an XS spec 110 and a heritage on order, not to replace but to accompany what I already have. I like the heritage, it's that bit different and reflects the origins of the original car. But I'm not too sure that I would replace my XS for an adventure though. Not that there is anything wrong with the adventure. Having been on the tour last week I have to say that the adventure looks absolutely superb. But an XS is a decent spec. I think it comes down to wheels and seats and affordability. If it's painless to change then go with your heart but I wouldn't make any financial sacrifices to change from what is already a very good defender. At the end of the day, all defenders are special additions. Good luck Thumbs Up
Post #441242 29th Jul 2015 6:48am
Mr Fox

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
Thank you for the replies chaps - appreciate you taking the time to jot your thoughts down.

I'll try to answer the questions that have been asked:

@couplands - I'm not into heavy off-road; therefore, I don't see the side guards as an issue. I do agree that if you were deep wading or wheels deep in mud, they probably would end up filled. As I use the Def for light off-road and mainly B-road use, it doesn't concern me.

@Yolo - Pete, I'm inclined to agree with all you've said and when I'm in my 'pro-Adventure' mood, the logic you've used is a lot of my justification.

@apt100 - The cost to change is very close to the uplift from list price of the 90XS SW to Adventure, so circa Ł14k

@Pickles - Bone stock; other than having Zagato work his magic, she is as she left the dealers. She was dealer stock when I bought it, so other than a couple of simple dealer fit items my Def is a standard XS SW.

@nidge - no financial sacrifice (no making the children eat Potnoodle 24/7 for the next five years to pay for the uplift Mr. Green ); whilst the money isn't easy come, easy go, I do have the amount needed, so this isn't my primary concern - although in saying that, I always consider value for money. I do believe the Adventure may hold residual value better over the years to come BUT no Defender is horrible when it comes to resale value, so the XS is hardly an awful place to have my money!
Post #441258 29th Jul 2015 8:10am
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
I think that in your heart, you're leaning towards the Adventure?
Pickles.
Post #441260 29th Jul 2015 8:17am
Stickleback

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
To me the big question is how good your current Defender is...if it's problem free/relatively problem free, doesn't leak, rattle, breakdown regularly then to change it for another is a massive gamble...

I went through the same thought process - I think the Orange 110 Adventure looks great, the Heritage simply wonderful.

Then I looked at my current 2014 which has been almost problem free and is so far waterproof, smiled, and stuck with what I have.

Ultimately though it's got to be a heart decision and good luck making it Thumbs Up
Post #441261 29th Jul 2015 8:20am
steve E

Wales 
I agree with Stickleback on the fact that if yours is a good one I'd keep it.

I think specking your own vehicle to the exact standard you would like is cheaper than buying the adventure although I do like it.
I was offered an Adventure against my 110 xs and the price difference didn't make sense even with a great trade in price.

I bought mine with all the goodies I could want fitted and ready to go for 33K and can't see where my 9k would be spent.
apart from nice seats

Click image to enlarge
Post #441264 29th Jul 2015 8:35am
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I suppose discussing your dilemma in a virtual pub is not ideal when compared to a real pub with real ale. I'm sure if we were discussing this in a real pub then after a couple of pints our heads would rule our hearts and say keep your money in your pocket and enjoy your XS. I guess after six or seven pints we'd all be saying to hell with the extra 14 grand and get down to the dealers first thing in the morning (hangover permitting). Sorry I know that doesn't help. At the time of writing I'm perfectly sober, I'm looking at my black XS parked on the driveway and thinking whatever type of Defender I have, I will thoroughly enjoy all the ups and downs of ownership.

You're going to have to man up and make your decision pdq. Good luck
Post #441266 29th Jul 2015 8:38am
YOLO110

Australia 
I think if I was in a pub with a few pints under my belt, my heart (and beer goggles) would rule my head, not the other way round! Rolling Eyes YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #441273 29th Jul 2015 8:55am
nidge n

steve E wrote:
I agree with Stickleback on the fact that if yours is a good one I'd keep it.

I think specking your own vehicle to the exact standard you would like is cheaper than buying the adventure although I do like it.
I was offered an Adventure against my 110 xs and the price difference didn't make sense even with a great trade in price.

I bought mine with all the goodies I could want fitted and ready to go for 33K and can't see where my 9k would be spent.
apart from nice seats

Click image to enlarge

That is one nice 110 Steve, will look great next to a heritage Mr. Green
Post #441275 29th Jul 2015 8:57am
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
To basic truck or blinged-up special, that is the question…

If you’re gonna USE a Defender (tow, offroad, carry crap etc.) the bling is counter-productive. Ride, comfort, economy? No difference. If you wanna bit more interior comfort (e.g. better sounds, seats), you know what to do.

But many drive a Defender ‘cos they think it looks good or suits what they want others to see them as (last week I saw a camo’d one with the obligatory Union Flag sticker put on upside down - that just about says it all, the only thing missing were some UKIP stickers).

So that’s where the XS or Adventure question becomes answered… 99% wouldn’t know the difference, and they’d be more likely to laugh at an Adventure parked in the supermarket car park and outside the trendy Wine Bar than a shiny black SW. Real Pubs with real ale don’t count - no hotties to be found in ‘em, only beer bellies and bs!

Peter
Post #441282 29th Jul 2015 9:17am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>