↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Does anyone have any expertise in induction motors?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Mountain_man

Wales 
Does anyone have any expertise in induction motors?
After some advise for recommissioning my pressure washer. A while back I had problems with it constantly cutting out after a few minutes. I was able to cure this by removing the thermal cutoff which was something similar to one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KSD-9700-Tempera...188e6e93f#

This cured the issue and all was great for a year or so until now I find the starter capacitor has broken down as a result of excessive heat. This was to be expected I guess and I can get another pretty easily. One of these in fact

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ITALFARAD-80uf-C...3aa2ba619f

Obviously I would like to put the thermal protection back into the circuit but appear to have lost the one I removed.

Now for the query. Does anyone have any idea for a good starting point for the cut off temperature to protect the motor in future since there appears to be a large range available i.e. 40-150 degrees? I don't want it constantly cutting out again but neither do I need another melted capacitor due to excess heat. I am thinking somewhere around 100-120 degrees might work. Has anyone got a more informed opinion?
Post #446892 17th Aug 2015 7:35pm
Silver Back

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Coniston Green
I would have thought 80 celsius would be a maximum. Above that and PVC insulation tends to break down and becomes less effective, potentially becoming dangerous with prolonged use.

Have you tried any web resources by the manufacturer? Sometimes their web sites have the original documentation which may have something listed in the machine's specification.
Post #446896 17th Aug 2015 7:41pm
Mountain_man

Wales 
Thanks fo rthe reply. I have done extensive web searches to no avail. I was kind of thinking about sitting in a sauna at 90 degrees and thought a plastic capacitor should surely be able to stand a bit more heat than me Smile
Post #446900 17th Aug 2015 7:49pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
80 uF Motor Start Capacitors can be had a hell of a lot cheaper than the one you linked. Not having the original thermal cut out you're stuffed really unless you have a circuit diagram for your washer or access to a diagram where the details may be shown. As above I would have thought ballpark 80 degrees would suffice. May be a trial and error process. I would buy a couple of capacitors Justin.....'just in' case.

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #446901 17th Aug 2015 7:51pm
apt100

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
According to the manufacturer, the max temp for that capacitor is 85C (which is a very common rating for caps etc), if that helps.

http://www.italfarad.com/menumotorieng.htm
Post #446903 17th Aug 2015 7:57pm
Mountain_man

Wales 
Thanks for that K9F

I have the original circuit diagram but it is very simple and has no details. HOWEVER Smile I have just realised (via the power of google) that the 25/85/21 on the side of the capacitor means min temp -25, max temp 85 degrees and a damp heat duration test result of 21 days. So I guess both of you were spot on.

I have also found planty of 80UFs for sub £10 but linked to that one as it is the same model and size exactly as the one I removed. I am going to try a cheapo one and a new 85 degree thermal switch and see what happens. If it cuts out all the time I guess I can up the temp by 10 degrees and see how long it lasts this time

Thanks for advice, much appreciated

EDIT.... cheers for that, I had just reached the same conclusion Smile
Post #446904 17th Aug 2015 7:57pm
couplands

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
Mountain_man wrote:
Thanks fo rthe reply. I have done extensive web searches to no avail. I was kind of thinking about sitting in a sauna at 90 degrees and thought a plastic capacitor should surely be able to stand a bit more heat than me Smile

That's 90f not C... Shocked
Post #446905 17th Aug 2015 8:05pm
Mountain_man

Wales 
Nope, it is 90 degrees C in a sauna.
Post #446910 17th Aug 2015 8:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1