↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > GAP Diagnostics IID BT Tool
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Lorryman100

GAP Diagnostics IID BT Tool
I received this tool today and after a quick play about with it was quite taken by how easy it is to use and the functions it offers. This tool is the Beta version and only covers the IPAC and EMS modules (2.2 and 2.4) just now, but GAP will be adding the WABCO and Bosch ABS modules as well as the 10AS as they become available. I used a Gen 4 Ipad as the interface but the tool does support other Apple models which are listed on their website.
Before you can use the tool you have to get it unlocked which was a painless process and all done using the Ipad from the drivers seat with the tool plugged in.

http://gap-diagnostic.com/home.html

Click image to enlarge

So after unlocking the tool I was presented with a main menu and went on to explore the various options available for the IPAC and EMS,

Click image to enlarge

I then went on to do a DTC check

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

At the bottom left of the screen you will see an advanced option which allows you to search for a particular type of DTC. In this case it was Confirmed DTC's of which there were none present.

Click image to enlarge

However by changing the type of DTC 2 faults were found on my Puma

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Next screen shot shows the fault check by ECU, note that the WABCO and 10AS are present as not fitted as yet. These will be added in the near future

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Fitted ECU info screens

Click image to enlarge

EMS functions

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The tool also allows for live data to be displayed either by a graph or numeric values with up to 8 sensors values being displayed at the same time. The logs can be saved for future reference.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Once you have finished the session you just press disconnect

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And then just switch off the ignition and remove the tool. Thumbs Up

So far this tool is one of the easiest to use that I own. Hopefully the development phase will bring the ABS and 10AS modules on line soon, then this tool will have a permanent home in the cubby box as I can then use the Iphone or the Ipad as the interface.

** As there are a few members on here who are involved in the Beta test could you please add your thoughts and findings into this thread so we can keep all the information in one place, thanks**

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #440789 27th Jul 2015 8:22pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Fifth Horseman

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Agreed it is one of the easiest tools to use. It will also identify the vehicle correctly if only of the ECUs has the VIN stored - my vehicle had lost the VIN from both the instrument pack and EMS, fortunately it still exists in ABS ECU, the other popular tool often mentioned cannot cope with this and refuses to connect to the vehicle.

Live values available for CAN bus ABS (as fitted to 2011 2.4 and all 2.2)

Latest version of software can now perform the following functions.

Post #445823 13th Aug 2015 4:49pm
bell-auto-services

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
For info and ease of posting on the forum
before you make connection to the tool you can enable vin obfuscation, this will save you from having to edit screen shots and removing your cars real vin as it will show 000000 instead.

Regards Pete
Post #445879 13th Aug 2015 8:31pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Lorryman100

Update available, IIDTool BT V3.0 B2134. On the 2.4 pre 2011 covers IPAC faults and EMS only.
Post #453176 7th Sep 2015 9:44pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
How do you get the Service/Test screen up?
I don't have that option on mine.
Post #459335 30th Sep 2015 7:01pm
Lorryman100

The service /test option appears as soon as the tool has been found, it is basically the home screen.

Select search tool or connect to last tool

Click image to enlarge

Once the tool has been found the ECUs load on the tool and this page appears

Click image to enlarge

Select the service test option and this screen appears

Click image to enlarge

Select PCM Engine and this screen appears

Click image to enlarge

Update the software to the latest version (B2141) and update the iphone / Ipad at the same time before disconnecting the tool from the computer. :thumbsup:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #460075 3rd Oct 2015 1:04pm
bell-auto-services

To add to Lorryman's already great post and perfect screen shots if you add the "Custom" firmware build when made available to your updater software it also adds another menu for flashing the ecu called ECU Flash.

The ECU Flash menu can be used to back up your existing engine ecu on the 2.4 and some others, if tuning is purchased separately this will show also in this menu.

I can not take a screen shot as I don't have a tool with me currently.

Kind Regards Pete
Post #460101 3rd Oct 2015 4:49pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
Thanks Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Should have updated it before trying to do anything shouldn't I!
Post #460689 5th Oct 2015 4:56pm
bell-auto-services

Cupboard, Dont forget about the custom firmware option you have available also in the updater software.
Post #460701 5th Oct 2015 5:24pm
Lorryman100

If use the updater to load the custom file B2141 you get access to the ECU Flash screen Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
Post #460721 5th Oct 2015 6:39pm
Bushpig

Wales 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Alpine White
I've had my tool for the last year or so and have only needed to use it to reset the service light (as the dealer here does not have any sort of diagnostics equipment of their own).
Finally got to use my tool for a fault, while out in the bush.
While driving through thick sand, Landy was heavily loaded and with a full trailer.
The traction control light came on dash. I found this strange, as the traction control had not engaged at all so far on this trip. I then stopped, turn off ignition to reset the system, but the TC light remained on. Tried reversing a bit, as one does when the diff lock light stays on, TC remained on.
Got my tool out and the fault that was read was
"P0571-13 ( A8 ) Unknown ( on 30-09-2011 12:25:51 at 16777215 km )"
Cleared the fault and continued on with the TC light not illuminating again.
Once back in town and access to the internet, I looked up the code on
http://www.datsc.com/tabid/123/Diagnostics...fault.aspx

Click image to enlarge

Then checked the brake switch, which I must have 'bumped' while installing the cruise control the week before and now all the bumps and ruts had loosened a connection.
So 2 questions...
Is there a digital version of the fault codes?
So when out in the middle of nowhere one would be able to read up on the fault on an iPhone or iPad.

Why is my tool showing that my vehicle is at 16777215 km, when the actual mileage is 72561 km?
Is this something that needs to be set or was this just a freak glitch?

Thanks in advance Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
Douglas Adams

2012 2.2 Puma
Post #465195 21st Oct 2015 10:18am
PatGAPInnov
Site Sponsor

Canada 
Hello

Quote:
So when out in the middle of nowhere one would be able to read up on the fault on an iPhone or iPad.
The unknowns will be a thing of the past in the coming weeks once we release the latest firmware.

Quote:
Why is my tool showing that my vehicle is at 16777215 km, when the actual mileage is 72561 km?
Is this something that needs to be set or was this just a freak glitch?
The ECU simply didn't provide it which is why you've got this funny value. Not all ECU and/or faults will provide this data.

Cheers http://www.gap-diagnostic.com/
Post #475649 23rd Nov 2015 11:45pm
joninreading

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Corris Grey
afternoon all, I've just bought an IID BT off Pete Bell, specifically for an ABS/TC fault. I'm getting the 'module not fitted' message, and i was wondering when this is being released? 07 Puma XS.

ta,

Jon

Click image to enlarge
Post #476071 25th Nov 2015 2:14pm
Lorryman100

The ABS module for 2011 onwards is already available on the IID BT tool. For pre 2011 models this should be along shortly as the Beta version is out for testing. Some screenshots below, not had that much time to play around with it fully but should have some time this weekend and will add results to this post.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

GAP diagnostics have 2 x 10AS modules on their test bed so that addditional module should be along soon as well Very Happy

I would also check with Pete at BAS that the tool you purchased is the full GAP tool or his remap version of the tool which I believe covers the EMS and IPAC?

Post #480879 10th Dec 2015 12:49am
bell-auto-services

He has got the full GAP IIDBT Tool with ABS added on it last week not my BAS2RRC version tool, all is working well on the older ABS module considering the modules limiting capability.

10AS is also coming allong well I have been working with GAP the last couple of weeks testing. Also a nice addition to the puma 2.4 engine functions coming soon that will for sure be handy for some people as well as a few other nice things on the way.

Lorryman,, on a different note I see your engine ecu software is years out of date NNS507840,7H12-12K532-FDB is over 5 years old !

Regards Pete
Post #480884 10th Dec 2015 1:05am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>