↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Front air con panel adjustment
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
dailysleaze

United Kingdom 
Front air con panel adjustment
I'm at a loss to see where any adjustment might be when fitting my front air con panel. The top 4 holes don't line up at all with those on the slam panel, even though the grille is pushed as far in as it'll go.

I had replaced the entire slam panel, but that won't come further forward due to the 4 bolts into the wings. The panel could go back a bit further, but the headlight surrounds won't let it and the 2 side screws are line up correctly. The bolt holes in the panel are elongated, presuming there was this problem at some point in the past.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #438895 19th Jul 2015 1:06pm
Clive

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 X-Tech LE Zambezi Silver
That's odd, looks different to mine, you just prompted me to go outside and take a closer look.
This is mine with the surround in the normal position -

Click image to enlarge

This is with the surround pulled forward -

Click image to enlarge
Post #438899 19th Jul 2015 1:50pm
Dave-H

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tonga Green
Mine [factory fit] has the top corners of the headlight surround 'trimmed' in order for the panel to fit right back in place ....... I only realised this when i changed them to grey surrounds and had to trim the new surrounds accordingly Rolling Eyes Guns and Landrovers .... anything else is irrelevant.
Post #438903 19th Jul 2015 2:06pm
dailysleaze

United Kingdom 
Thanks Clive

The original slam panel was bent by not having the proper bracket connecting to the air con frame, so the bonnet's weight had bent it and the bonnet wouldn't latch properly

The one I replaced it with was an earlier style design, but identical in dimensions. The only real difference I can see is this section is not a cutout:

Click image to enlarge

This is how far the panel sticks out past the wings. Does yours stick out further? I'm wondering if there is a different panel for air con models, and mine didn't have it originally?

Click image to enlarge
Post #438904 19th Jul 2015 2:06pm
Clive

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 X-Tech LE Zambezi Silver
That bit looks very similar to mine, I can't really see why that cut off corner bit should make any difference, there's nothing in the surround to get in the way, well not on mine anyway Confused

Click image to enlarge

What year is your car? Puma / Td5 ?
Post #438909 19th Jul 2015 2:39pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
Would it make any difference if you removed the headlight surrounds and took the two lower screws out and started with the fixings at the top first ?
Post #438912 19th Jul 2015 3:19pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
It does look like the headlight surrounds are the culprits, with the build quality we know and love on Defenders it may be that the new to you slam panel has pulled the wings closer together and narrowed the gap. Try slackening the slam panel to wing fixings or put some washers in to space them out.
Post #438920 19th Jul 2015 4:29pm
Dora

England 
I had a similar problem, the headlight surrounds were holding the front panel off by about 12mm. I loosened the headlight surrounds put the front panel on, (still a tight fit) then squeezed the surrounds back on. There was quite a bit of putting screws in at an angle and a few elongated holes... Good old LR Thumbs Up
Post #438932 19th Jul 2015 5:21pm
dailysleaze

United Kingdom 
Thanks chaps. I'll try removing the headlight surrounds.

The new slam panel had pulled the wings closer, so I stuffed some washers in between it and the wings. It looks like new builds have a fat washer there normally.
Post #438993 19th Jul 2015 10:24pm
dailysleaze

United Kingdom 
Well I managed it. Not sure it's exactly the same as it would be from the factory, but it's secure and won't fall off!

Taking the headlight surrounds off made the difference; at least I could get the screws through the elongated holes at an angle. It also sits high by about 5mm, so I screwed down until I started to hear cracking. After the top screws, the two side ones went in, then I had to squash the headlight surrounds at bit between the wing and the panel.

Still, looking miles better. I just had it repainted as it was scratched up and had been crappily resprayed the wrong shade of white with a rattle can.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #439434 21st Jul 2015 9:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1