↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > My new (to me) Defender 90 Puma
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 33 of 34 <123 ... 323334>
Print this entire topic · 
jimbob7

I like Climair massively on my TD5 ,I'm 6'2" and welcome fresh air thru the side windows with out letting rain in!! Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #522994 11th Apr 2016 12:30pm
BossHog

England 
[quote="RRUK"]Sadly and with great regret I have sold the Defender, the new owner comes to pick it up at the weekend.

Oh No ! Shocked

Well that's me bu@@ered as most of your ideas and changes ended up on mine !!!!! Sad
Post #523004 11th Apr 2016 12:48pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Sorry chap, but if you need inspiration just look at this thread, it's amazing....

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40056.html 2016 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #523311 12th Apr 2016 10:53am
mcma1

Post #523465 12th Apr 2016 8:21pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Well,

It's been a while since I was on here much, so I thought I'd update you all.

After I sold the Defender I bought a Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE and have been playing with that, changing the looks etc. It is now in a place I am loving the look of.

They have been fairly simple changes but I think they've had an overall dramatic effect on the car, particularly the wheels and tyres.

Here's the thread of the project: I even had the buyer of my first Defender pipe up the other day, seems he sold it after 2 faultless years and has himself just bought a D3 too.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic144544.html

Essentially the car has gone from a very standard and well cared for HSE like this...

To a slightly hunkier look like this

I know this is the Defender forum but the ride quality and overall experience is SO much nicer in the Discovery. I think I am just not built for a Defender any more, I had 2 and did what I wanted to do to them, and now I am trying something different. I've always wanted a Discovery but not to replace the Range Rover. This is perfect, and it was HALF the cost of the Defender Shocked 2016 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #536508 1st Jun 2016 2:16pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 2016 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #536510 1st Jun 2016 2:23pm
YOLO110

Australia 
Looks great mate! Cool

Now... time for an anthracite roof liner! Cool YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #536512 1st Jun 2016 2:29pm
Av_ Dave

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Looking good Adam, I see your attention detail is still there, the Defender is going perfectly, in fact the only fault is due to work I don't have enough time to use as much as I would like, I'm over the moon with her though, hope the disco does your well!!

Dave.
Post #536571 1st Jun 2016 6:03pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Glad you still like it Dave, shame work gets in the way huh?

YOLO, luckily for me there is not as much in the way of after market stuff for the Discovery, so no one makes a replacement alcantara headlining. It would be a very involved job if they did and it would look stunning I'm sure. Even LR never offered it as far as I know. 2016 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #536600 1st Jun 2016 7:05pm
Av_ Dave

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I'm sure with your talents you could fabricate an alcantara wrap for the original headlining, Thumbs Up
Post #536610 1st Jun 2016 7:39pm
Butchers Boy

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Welcome back Adam its good to see you back on the forum now you got a posh motor that don't leak Laughing Thumbs Up

Looking good mate you have made that Discovery your own and none of us would expect any less from you Bow down

that's one mean looking Discovery mate! Have you put wheel spacers on it? Loving the black wheels and black front corners Thumbs Up Bet it's comfortable to drive as well Laughing Laughing ! That's really nice great job... So come on whats the next mod... something inside perhaps...????? 2010 Defender 90 HT

The longer I live..... The better I was!
Post #536693 1st Jun 2016 10:12pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Laurence, you're very eagle-eyed!

Those alloys are 2010MY RR L322 and I got them for a steal from a friend who sold his RR years ago and these have been sat in his warehouse. They were silver but boring so I had them refurbed completely in the same dark anthracite as my RR wheels, then bought some new Duratracs. I found out mid way they won't fit on the D3 unless you put D4 callipers on or, wheel spacers.

I've never bought spacers before but looking at the standard car, the arches looked a bit empty so I went for it, and I don't regret it for a second, it looks so much better.

There's not much in the way of mods I can do to the inside, I replaced a broken cup holder, fitted rubber mats and fitted a full boot liner and seat covers. Other than getting a dog guard at some point there's nothing else to do. I might replace the steering wheel as the leather has gone weird and tacky, just put a new one on, not something different.

At some point over the summer I plan to do some rust protection with Dinitrol and do my 5 stage paint process on it to get it gleaming and protected from the elements.

This time last year I was on the hunt for my Defender, and now I'm already in a different car, mostly sorted!

Here's the fitted boot liner (note D4 rear LED conversion)

Click image to enlarge

I took the headlights off, baked them to get them apart and took out the tango orange parts to give the front a cleaner look.

I also couldn't find anywhere that sold a D4 style front grille in Stornoway with gloss black centres, as I was going for the whole grey & black theme again like on the Defender, so I made my own!

You know me, I like to have a go Thumbs Up

There's been lots of little jobs too, fitting door handle covers, mirror covers, replacing all the wipers with Bosch Aerotwins, completely shampooed the interior including the headlining, Gliptone cleaned and conditioned all the leather, proper detail valet of the interior (right down to cleaning the vanes of the heater vents one by one!)

I've also fitted smoked side repeaters, changed the front indicators to chromed Amber bulbs, Kurust treated and painted the rear tow hitch area as it always rusts under the rear flap and looks horrible. I used my Gliptone leather care kit to dab in some jet black on a few scratches and creases, then conditioned it again and now the leather looks like new.

Generally it was a well maintained family car before, but it had never been really cared for the way I do it, so giving it a thorough cleaning has made a huge difference on its own, it looks like a much newer car now. 2016 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #536804 2nd Jun 2016 9:54am
L110CDL

England 
Hi iv'e been following your threads and love what you do, the pic above is a real head turner, great job, your D3 is looking awesome Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #537017 2nd Jun 2016 9:14pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Thanks for that Thumbs Up 2016 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #537048 2nd Jun 2016 10:23pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Well today I managed to find time to do the paintwork on the Discovery. I would guess this is the first time this has been done in its 8 year life.

After washing it (Meguiars Gold class) but before rinsing off I used the G3 clay mitt dousing it in extra soapy suds. The noise as you swipe the mitt and the clay drags is very noticeable, it sounds like it's scraping however that's the noise of the surface contaminants being picked up by the clay. After a number of swipes, the noise disappears and it pulls smoothly, indicating that the clay has done its work. You do the entire car, including glass, like this.

After that I did every panel with tar remover. Some tar spots you can see, others are tiny but it's worth wiping the entire panel. Every panel. I used an old shirt as my cloth, it's soft and works better than a foam pad or towelling. Then I masked up the plastic panels that are next to paint, as the power polisher can leave marks. The power polisher is one I bought moons ago, from the USA. It's a Porter Cable 7424, bought because there was no decent random orbital polisher available then. The downside is that I have to use a US 110V transformer, but it works.

After this comes the machine polisher work. First is the Meguiars compound. This really cleans the paint and removes blemishes, then the Megs Polish which I apply by hand on a foam pad as you have to wipe off with a microfibre cloth before it dries, once all that is done its time for the power polisher and the Megs Ultimate Wax to seal in the lustre achieved with the first two stages. Leave for half an hour and buff off. I use a cotton hand towel and then a microfibre cloth to finish.

Finally I removed all the masking tape and did all the black plastic work and dressed the tyres. The end result looks stunning and I have the peace of mind that that paintwork is completely cleaned and prepared for the winter. The paint is probably better than it has ever been and the visuals are stunning, the pics from on my drive don't do it justice. Stornoway is an excellent paint colour for making it look flawless.

If you've never gone to the effort of doing all this I emplore you to try, it's not hard and you can do it without the machine polisher, all of the materials you can get from Halfords, it's just takes the time, and it took me 7 hours to do the lot. But, the results last properly. As a comparison, I will show you a photo of my Range Rover next to my Dads taken on the same day in the same place, the only exception is that his car never had this level of care and my dads has been washed by the local Albanians with their caustic pre sprays, jet wash and grit filled sponges. I've never put mine through that, or a car wash, only washed at home by me with a lambs wool mitt etc. Both cars are Santorini Black and the same age.

Pics to follow...>

2016 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #537432 4th Jun 2016 11:20am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 33 of 34 <123 ... 323334>