↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Finance & Insurance > Insuring my 110 which has 9 seats - NFU come out top
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Paddie42

England 2003 Defender 110 Td5 SW Belize Green
Insuring my 110 which has 9 seats - NFU come out top
It stared this afternoon whilst trying to get a quote for another car added to my insurance policy with Aviva. I got talking to the person at the other end about my defender and mentioned it had 9 seats. That's when the problems started. Apparently Aviva, and most other insurance companies will only ensure a vehicle up to 8 seats. My Aviva insurance now finishes at midnight tonight.

Time to start phoning around. I tried A-Plan, NFU Mutual and Land Rover Insurance. I told all of them I had 9 seats and a snorkel fitted. The seats were fitted at build, the snorkel being added by the previous owner.

A-Plan: They took all my details and checked with various underwriters. The best they could offer was £600

Land Rover Insurance: They took all my details and had to check with ten underwriters. They could not insure me as they only cover up to 8 seats.

NFU: The main call centre couldn't help as they can only cover up to 8 seats. They transferred me to the local NFU centre nearest to me . They took all my details and then checked with the underwriters. They could insure me for £256.76. They got the business.

The biggest problem I found is that the number of seats doesn't seem to be linked to the car registration. I had to tell each insurance company and get them to check.

NFU have been very helpful and have actually saved me money. I would recommend talking to them especially if you have a local branch.

Kindest regards

Paddie
Post #438333 16th Jul 2015 5:54pm
tonyhedge

2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Montalcino Red
I've always found NFU to be really good for Land Rover insurance, both in terms of cost and understanding of what Land Rovers are, and what we do to them!

Was recently offered a quote by Land Rover's "own" (not really, just in name) insurance, and they couldn't come close to matching NFU.
Post #438341 16th Jul 2015 6:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1