mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
More pics !!!!! Please Rolling with laughter Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #465429 22nd Oct 2015 9:25am
MuddyChris300tdi

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 130 300 Tdi HCPU Alpine White
So it was raining so a good day to work on the 130. Gearbox is now out and picking new one up next week. We're getting there.
Post #466266 24th Oct 2015 10:41pm
MuddyChris300tdi

So I fitted my new gearbox at the weekend Very Happy but my excitement was short lived Sad as I'm getting a kind of grinding noise coming from I think the transfer box Big Cry . The best way I can describe the noise is as if your running a knife down the side of a baked bean tin when I'm coasting or let off the accelerator completely. It was suggested that might have put longer bolts in the front side of gearbox to transfer box mating face. So I whipped them out last night and I have 3 short bolts 35mm two of which were on the front face and a 45mm at the back on the bottom. So it doesn't look like it was those fouling the main gear. As I hadn't driven it far before I don't really know if the noise was there before. So I'be got bit more searching to do.
Post #468930 3rd Nov 2015 8:49am
dorsetsmith

1. transmission brake ?

2. brake back plates i,e stones

Last edited by dorsetsmith on 4th Nov 2015 8:20am. Edited 2 times in total
Post #468947 3rd Nov 2015 9:53am
MuddyChris300tdi

I have taken both props off today and taken it for a drive to rule them out and that made no difference. Also removed handbrake drum but nothing obvious there. I have taken a video of the noise but can't find how to upload it.
Post #469218 3rd Nov 2015 11:28pm
MuddyChris300tdi

Right, time for an update.

So have been using the 130 for two weeks. She now has a name, Mabs after the first four part of the number plate are M482. She has been going well, a little larger turning circle than my disco but haven't found it a problem. Parking has been fine, only difficult bit I find is parallel parking and judging where the back end is, not helped by now having a ifor Williams top on with a solid back. I still have this noise coming from the transfer box but it doesn't sound like it's going to blow up. I will change it in the next few weeks. I've pulled out any redundant wiring and finding out where all the other ends in the battery box go to. This afternoon I changed the oil and filter, fuel filter and dropped all the coolant out and gave it all a good flush out. Replaced the thermostat and filled her back up again. Only took her for a quick drive to warm her up so yet to see if I have any air locks. I thought I was getting through fuel a bit quick and found out why today when after my warm up drive I thought I could smell diesel. Pop the bonnet to check for water leaks and got a real good whiff, had a look and the the middle fuel return was squirting out. All three were perished so replaced them with the hose I had.

So while I was doing all the work pre mot I found this in the driver's side wing.

Click image to enlarge

When I first saw it through the wing top vent I got all excited thinking it was a preheater but it's not. It's plumbed in between the expansion tank and the small rad hose. So my thinking is to lengthen the hoses and bolt it to the egr blank plate and hope it helps to get the water up to temp quicker. Most my journey's are short and i sit in traffic for ten minutes in the morning 100 meters from home so it can take ages to get any heat through. Will keep you all updated with any results when I get it into position.
Post #474925 21st Nov 2015 8:40pm
jasong4110

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 G4 LE Java Black
Hi Chris,

Sorry I don't quite follow your logic here why will adding a cooler/rad help to warm something up quicker? Looking at the photo it looks like a oil cooler from a PTO or similar.

TDI warms up fairly quickly for a land rover so if you are still having issues now that you have changed the stat I would say a pre heater would be the way to go.

Jason
Post #475044 22nd Nov 2015 4:38am
MuddyChris300tdi

Ok, so it was already plumbed in under the driver's side vent. In my experience a 300tdi can a long while to warm up at idle. So my theory which might be wrong is the fit it over the turbo, which produces heat quite quickly. This then warming up this little rad and heating the water that goes through it. It might not help at all but I thought it would be worth a try.
Post #475111 22nd Nov 2015 12:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12