↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Diesel mystery knock on the highway
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
thujack

South Africa 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Thanks for the feedback.

I have not done anything yet - was hoping to find a definite solution before spending any amount of money. I also feared it may be injector related - I hear they cost a fortune.

Yeah - ZA is a lovely country - much better without the annoying knocking from the Puma Smile
Post #609148 13th Mar 2017 3:34pm
enfield_dinosaur

2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Java Black
Here's how I would proceed:

1. run the engine, open the bonnet, see if the injectors are perhaps loose and dance about. Sometimes the H-shaped brackets loosen and cause knocking. Easy fix, new screws, new brackets, tighten to spec, done.

2. Have a look at the injectors themselves. Remove the engine cover, and inspect the spot where they enter the engine. See any soot or smell diesel? The copper washers on the injectors might be the cause, apparently a very common thing for Pumas. It's no DIY fix (for most), since everything has to come apart, injectors pulled, might need new fuel lines , etc. Yet still cheaper then new injectors

3. Try a diesel leak-off kit, see if the injectors are out of tolerance. If you're mechanically inclined, you might be able to do it yourself. Presumably it would show with the kit if you had the same trouble as I had with the injectors. New injectors cost an arm and a leg, I spent the equivalent of 28k Rand on the whole procedure. Some people only exchange the leaking injectors, opionions are split on this though.

Good luck, keep us posted how it unfolds -
Post #609151 13th Mar 2017 4:00pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I've not used the defender much recently but just completed a few hundred miles and yep the clatter is there.

to my ears this is exactly the same as I've had on / from new and I'm now inclined to believe it's the clutch plate - or at least transmision.

there's other symptoms as well that to my mind suggest the clutch isn't as it should be. to reiterate what the symptoms are;

cruising along at circa 50 ish / 1850 rpm in 6th;
foot off gas and no noise
very light application of throttle to maintain speed on a flat and clatter clatter
heavier application of throttle to either accelerate OR maintain speed due to incline no noise

I suspect the clutch isn't damping on a very light load?

oh bloody hell.....or the adapter shaft again?

THOUGHTS PLEASE?

I personally dismiss the engine as the sound has mostly been there from new and yet the engine now has 100k miles and is basically original bar turbo and maf, map and egr. ie as noted previously the injectors and seals are original.
Post #784394 1st Aug 2019 3:34pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Turn the radio up and try not to worry, Madness lies down that path. Rolling with laughter
Post #784401 1st Aug 2019 4:24pm
Caterham

you're not wrong.

BUT I do find there's a lot less madness when you know what's causing something even if you can't fix it Mr. Green
Post #784409 1st Aug 2019 5:41pm
spudfan

Ireland 
If it is intermittent it could be those pesky bonnet hinge inserts. Any wear in them and they allow metal on metal and the noise seems to come from anywhere except the bulkhead.
If you have a sliding tow hitch check that there is no slack in the tow hitch bracket. There was in mine and it took me ages to track it down .I put some rubber from a tube between the slider plate and the hitch to solve mine.
Grasping at straws I know but it is usually something simple. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #784413 1st Aug 2019 5:54pm
Caterham

in my case it's almost certainly engine or transmission.

as the noise has been similar on / off over the last 100k miles I'm pretty damn sure it's not the injector seals as a- I wouldn't have expected it to be an issue from day 1 and b- I would have expected it to get worse.

personally I'm thinking the friction plate is unable to damn the engine input on virtually no load. as already said on significant load and upwards it's not a problem nor is it on no load?
Post #784423 1st Aug 2019 7:23pm
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
find a good steep hill in third gear and see if it slips
Post #784467 1st Aug 2019 11:51pm
parktag

France 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Zermatt Silver
I've had the same noise for years. When maintaining a constant speed or increasing speed gently there is a rattling noise. I first thought it was the injectors but they were fine. Earlier this year a clutch spring broke so i assumed that had been the problem all along so i fitted an upgraded clutch expecting it to be nice and quiet but the rattle is still there. It's probably an internal gearbox rattle of some kind but because i'm almost deaf i can't trace where it's coming from. When it goes bang i'll know what to fix. 130 crew cab
98 V8 Disco
Post #784473 2nd Aug 2019 3:07am
enfield_dinosaur

2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Java Black
What it was (in my case)
I've identified my problem in the meantime:

the injector seals were leaking, and albeit I had the job done at a garage, they did it badly and skipped one injector.

Once all injector seals were brand new, the problem subsided.
Post #784510 2nd Aug 2019 9:59am
spudfan

Ireland 
Caterham, would it possibly be that gear stick vibration problem? Next time it happens just put your left hand over and hold the gear stick and see if that stops it. There is a thread here about the gear stick rattle and how to fix it.. Mine used to rattle when accelerating in the high 5th and 6th gears also when accelerating up a hill. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #784975 5th Aug 2019 12:32pm
Johan H

Finland 
Has there been any new information as to where one could look for the cause of the knocking.

In my case the knocking/ticking definitely comes from the engine and it is not rpm related.

Here's some background:
2008 Puma 170 000km

the engine runs smoothly including smooth idle, also when cold.

The car has had an EGR delete & blanking plate installed

During the winter I have had issues with loose injectors, which I tightened using new washers and bolts, I also reamed all the seats. One of the injectors had a swollen tip, and this one I replaced with a new item. I At least some of the knocking was cured by this. At first It was completely gone, but after a short while I started hearing it again driving with partly opened throttle. Now it has grown as to the point you can clearly hear it all the time when opening the throttle lightly or letting go of the pedal. I had a look yesterday, the injectors do not seem to be loose.

A few days ago I noticed a loss of power, which in the end turned out to be seized vanes on the turbo, I seem to have cured this (at least temporarily) by moving the arm up and down for a while. During the power loss the knocking/ticking got louder, this is my feeling, I am not absolutely sure about this. Could there be a connection in these two incidents?

Any advise is greatly appreciated.
Post #828217 28th Apr 2020 1:30pm
Johan H

Finland 
No new information about this?
Post #841186 1st Jul 2020 10:16pm
ozzie1989

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Bonatti Grey
If your injectors were loose I bet you damaged the injector seats on the injectors themselves. I had this recurring problem and it was old cured with 4 X recon injectors and a complete strip of rocker cover to clean seats properly and renew all washers bolts etc.

My head seats were spot on, but it was the injector seats that were knackered and only confirmed on a test machine. Now: 2010 2.4 TDCi 110 Utility Wagon
Then: 2004 2.5 TD5 90 Hard Top (X-Tech Edition)
Post #841368 2nd Jul 2020 8:25pm
Caterham

spudfan wrote:
Caterham, would it possibly be that gear stick vibration problem? Next time it happens just put your left hand over and hold the gear stick and see if that stops it. There is a thread here about the gear stick rattle and how to fix it.. Mine used to rattle when accelerating in the high 5th and 6th gears also when accelerating up a hill.

sorry spud - didn't notice this before.

Mine seems fine these days. I believe all my issues were related to the transfer box going into diff lock. Thumbs Up

I'm amazed at some of the symptoms it caused - some obvious - some less so.

anyways all good Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #841476 3rd Jul 2020 12:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>