↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Defender 90 height and car park
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
hopeydaze

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 SW Cairns Blue
Defender 90 height and car park
New office - multi-storey car park says 2.0m.

Question is whether or not to try my 90 hardtop with 235/85 tyres. I don't want to get stuck during the morning rush. I suppose I could drive in on a Saturday and see what happens.
Post #436621 8th Jul 2015 10:44pm
Lambley

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
You should be ok, car parks tend to make sure they give minimum clearances just to be on the safe side, mine is the same year etc as yours and I've been in a 2.0M car park with no problems..... you should have about 20mm to spare.....

http://www.lro.com/features-reviews/review...x4-review/
Post #436631 9th Jul 2015 12:38am
Nobodycares

United Kingdom 
Drive in at speed, and duck. You'll probably be fine.
Post #436632 9th Jul 2015 1:40am
Buz

United Kingdom 1987 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Barolo Black
Why not just measure the height of your 90?
Post #436633 9th Jul 2015 2:51am
Barney12

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
That's crazy talk. Next you'll be telling him he needs to read the manual Mr. Green
Post #436637 9th Jul 2015 7:20am
jomara

Scotland 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Be very careful about trusting the heights posted on restriction boards!!! Got my 110 trapped in an NCP in Leeds which showed more than enough headroom, unfortunately they failed to take into account the new ductwork and that the at park had been resurfaced which took over 80mm out of the available headroom Big Cry Big Cry 2014 110 2.2TDCi XS Station wagon
1971 Bowler Tomcat 88 4.2 V8 Auto
2022 110 250D XS
Post #436638 9th Jul 2015 7:21am
hopeydaze

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 SW Cairns Blue
Barney12 wrote:
That's crazy talk. Next you'll be telling him he needs to read the manual Mr. Green

My question does sound a bit naive; however ramp angles, the back of the roof catching when going down a ramp etc. may affect clearance. therefore, I posted in the hope of getting some real world experience.

Duck and drive in at speed sounds like the way to go

Drove over to the car park this evening after work and it does fit. Security guard was watching, probably to make sure I didn't hit the lights suspended below the ceiling. It was tight - anyway this 2.0m car park works for 90s on 235/85 tyres

Last edited by hopeydaze on 9th Jul 2015 9:09pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #436640 9th Jul 2015 7:26am
TooTall

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
If it helps... my 90 HT on same tyres (& 16" rims?) is 1.98 tall.
TT "Ease your worries, Clear-up your woes,
Go into your garage & put stuff into rows."
Post #436641 9th Jul 2015 7:33am
Barney12

hopeydaze wrote:
Barney12 wrote:

My question does sound a bit naive; however ramp angles, the back of the roof catching when going down a ramp etc. may affect clearance. therefore, I posted in the hope of getting some real world experience.

Duck and drive in at speed sounds like the way to go

Sorry, I wasn't having a pop. I did actually think that asking any of us to take such arcane steps of tape measure or manuals was unlikely Razz

"duck and drive" sounds the perfect plan Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #436645 9th Jul 2015 8:09am
Barney12

Quote:

As an aside we also have a city centre car park near us which has an incredibly tight turn to up and down the ramps to various floors. I've not been there since having the 90 but am fairly certain each one will require a two point turn! What a ball ache!!

On the plus side its another excuse NOT to go shopping!
Post #436646 9th Jul 2015 8:12am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
jomara wrote:
Be very careful about trusting the heights posted on restriction boards!!! Got my 110 trapped in an NCP in Leeds which showed more than enough headroom, unfortunately they failed to take into account the new ductwork and that the at park had been resurfaced which took over 80mm out of the available headroom Big Cry Big Cry

A similar thing happened to me in a car park in Reading with my Disco 2. Signage indicated a good 6" to 12" clearance, but ductwork had been added which reduced the ceiling height by about 18". Playing "dodge the duct" to get back out again was very intersting!

I did once also take a load of rubble to my local (at the time) tip in my 80", sailed under the entrance barrier with inches to clear, unloaded, and then found I didn't fit out again! Fortunately since it is a softtop (and wasn't raining) it wasn't a problem, I just whipped the tilt and sticks off, but it amused the scavengers!
Post #436648 9th Jul 2015 8:31am
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Just to confirm what Buz says, its not exactly rocket science. Measure the height of the 90, then measure the height of the car park. If the height of the 90 is less than the car park then bingo, if it's the other way around then find another car park or buy a Dacia Duster. LOL
Post #436649 9th Jul 2015 8:34am
Lambley

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
I'm sure you'll be fine, just go slowly, maybe take somebody with you the first time so they can get out and watch, if the worst comes to the worst, deflate the tyres.
The local council tip had a yellow 2.0m bar above the entrance, even though I'd been under it loads of times it still made me duck!
Only other option would be to get them to raise the roof by a couple of inches Thumbs Up
Post #436651 9th Jul 2015 8:38am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
If there is a clatterboard at the entrance, it should be lower than the lowest part of the car park, so if you fit under the board you should fit in the car park. Be mindful of the fact that this is not always the case, though. In the Reading incident I mention above, I fitted under the clatterboard with about 6" to spare, but the ductwork was significantly (like 12" !) lower than the clatterboard.

Also remember that generally the measurements are vertical with maybe a few inches to allow for a safety margin. If there is a restriction near the bottom of a ramp, for example. a long wheelbase vehicle like a 110 may still foul it even if a short vehicle doesn't.

My policiy has always been that if I am really in doubt I avoid the car park in question until I have seen a similar vehicle belonging to someone else in there!

If you are really determined but think there is a genuine risk of a problem, make sure you have a tyre pump with you. You can lowere the vehicle by at least 4" in an emergency by letting air out of the tyres. Not ideal, but better than needing a new roof.

On a Defender, the aerial tends to be about the same height as the roof and this can be a useful hieght indicator.
Post #436655 9th Jul 2015 9:09am
tookaphotoof

Netherlands 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Some people have a air compressor with them for off-roading.
I carry one for being able to park the car in the car park when I have a plane to catch. Mr. Green
Post #436658 9th Jul 2015 9:39am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>