↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > New suspension
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
NigelM

United Kingdom 
New suspension
Having done what seems like weeks of research I have finally bought new springs and shocks for the TD5 90.

I had a few objectives in mind:

1. Get a bit more clearance under the diffs so fit 255/85/16 tyres which I think should give me an extra inch or so - didn't want to go to 35's as it seems like quite a few people start breaking things.
2. Make the ride a bit more compliant. I'm not after a range rover but an unloaded 90 (the state mine is in most of the time) is a bit harsh

Have gone for 4305 springs on the front (17.2" @ 150 lb's) and 4304 red/whites on the back (17.7" @ 170 lb's). Koni Heavy Track shocks which seem to be held in pretty high regard on this site and others.

I think I should get a softer ride, about 1.5" of lift which should ensure the 33's don't rub anywhere, and hopefully the ARB's front and rear should ensure I don't roll all over the place. It's got a 25mm on the front and 19mm on the back. If the roll does turn out to be too much I can always upgrade the rear to 25mm as well.

No idea if the theory is going to work but I'm going to find out this afternoon! Will update on progress later.
Post #372988 20th Nov 2014 1:00pm
nakatanenga

Germany 
we do have a Trekfinder spring kit with 35-40mm lift and progressive springs. Very comfortable but still tough enough to go offroad. Made in Germany and TÜV approved. WANTED:

SII or SIII in max 1.5k
Post #372990 20th Nov 2014 1:10pm
NigelM

United Kingdom 
All fitted now, so I thought I would share the findings.

In terms of ride height, I measured the spring lengths front and back which were 8.5" and 9" front and 10.25" and 10.75" rear. My understand is that "standard" is 10 front and 11 rear. The winch on the front accounts for most of the difference there and I presume 15 years of sag accounts for the rest.

This equated to 33" and 33.5" front and 34" and 34.5" rear from ground to wheel arch lip. I know it should be done from the hubs to take tyres out of the equation but I was just after an easy to measure datum and checked tyre pressures first.

The springs now measure 11" front and 12" rear which has given me my 1" lift over standard, the right amount of space to fit the new tyres and compensate for the winch which was never done. At the arches it sits 35.5" at the front and 35.25" at the back. I am going to get some RR spring insulators and add to the back just to give it 1/2" more as I feel it looks a bit low - not much, just a bit.

Going out for a drive the difference was chalk and cheese. My 90 now has suspension. No more back breaking jarring over every hole in the road, the car just soaks it all up. Much more relaxing to drive and almost comfortable.

Having changed to softer springs, changed the knackered dampers to Koni and put new bushes everywhere I couldn't tell which component made the biggest difference, but I am very pleased with the result. Well worth all the head scratching beforehand.
Post #373300 21st Nov 2014 2:47pm
redzob

Guernsey 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Hi NigelM,

Can you tell me where you sourced your new springs from? I've replaced my dampers with Bilsteins but would like to follow your lead with the softer springs - are you still pleased?

thanks in advance! Defender Puma 2.2 XS 90
Vespa GTS 300
Way too many racing bikes.
Post #382890 29th Dec 2014 8:52am
NigelM

United Kingdom 
Sorry Red, only just spotted this.

http://www.lrdirect.com/NRC4304-Coil-Spring-Rear-Heavy-Duty/

Same source for the 4305's

Still very pleased with it. If I'm being fussy I would put a 1/2" spacer on the rears. It sits dead level empty, but as soon as you get a bit of load in it it drops quite quickly. 150kg of wheat drops it about 2" I would think. Beware I have got a winch on the front. If you are light at the front it might sit a bit high.

Ride however is fantastic. Most of my driving is with just a dog and gun in the back so load carrying not a big issue.
Post #383950 1st Jan 2015 6:32pm
nitram17

NigelM wrote:
All fitted now, so I thought I would share the findings.

In terms of ride height, I measured the spring lengths front and back which were 8.5" and 9" front and 10.25" and 10.75" rear. My understand is that "standard" is 10 front and 11 rear. The winch on the front accounts for most of the difference there and I presume 15 years of sag accounts for the rest.

This equated to 33" and 33.5" front and 34" and 34.5" rear from ground to wheel arch lip. I know it should be done from the hubs to take tyres out of the equation but I was just after an easy to measure datum and checked tyre pressures first.

The springs now measure 11" front and 12" rear which has given me my 1" lift over standard, the right amount of space to fit the new tyres and compensate for the winch which was never done. At the arches it sits 35.5" at the front and 35.25" at the back. I am going to get some RR spring insulators and add to the back just to give it 1/2" more as I feel it looks a bit low - not much, just a bit.

Going out for a drive the difference was chalk and cheese. My 90 now has suspension. No more back breaking jarring over every hole in the road, the car just soaks it all up. Much more relaxing to drive and almost comfortable.

Having changed to softer springs, changed the knackered dampers to Koni and put new bushes everywhere I couldn't tell which component made the biggest difference, but I am very pleased with the result. Well worth all the head scratching beforehand.

Looks like you have solved the breaking bad back problem!.......i assume i will have to wait untill my trucks out of warranty before i follow your lead?( dont know if my back will make it )........do you have to tell your insurer your non standard?
Post #384635 3rd Jan 2015 10:03pm
NigelM

United Kingdom 
Probably should tell the insurer, but I haven't. Might wait until I have finished all the mods and then tell them about the lot.
Post #384641 3rd Jan 2015 10:14pm
EWS

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Alveston Red
Hi NigelM.

Have you any further feedback on this spring mod, any problems with brake lines ?
Post #436679 9th Jul 2015 12:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1