↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > oil/water leak?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
nitram17

oil/water leak?
Further to the previous post (to busy to go to stealers this week only use truck at weekends)I took the truck for a test drive for a couple of miles stopped had alook under the truck where gearbox is just in front of the middle cross support..no leak on the way back faint smell of burning oil or the smell you get when dripped some anti rust wax is on exhaust stopped at home still no leak....kept engine running turned on air con and left running a couple of minutes......started to drip but its definetly water from the drivers side of the gearbox probably directly under the expansion bottle....i put my hand up on top of the gearbox and its definitly leaking water but there is also a big layer of thickish black oil(its not dripping)itsw top of the gearbox and im wondering if thats the smell........Im assuming its the air con but are the pipes in that area?.............is this where they usually leak?

Another question if folks dont mind! is there supposed to be a rubber mounting between the front cross support(or whatever its called)and the gearbox as there appears to an arch on the cossmember tht was designed to have a rubber support connected to the gearbox..or is it a case of newer gearboxes dont need them or have they simply forgot to fit mine?(puma 90 2015)
Post #435960 5th Jul 2015 6:42pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Could be from the aircon and they don't have a mount on that crossmember Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #435961 5th Jul 2015 6:44pm
munch90

England 
If its clear water , not green,red,blue then it from the aircon drain that is above the gearbox and normally drips for a min or so after you stop and switch off

Try to collect some to check colour and check coolant when cold

no mounting on the crossmember gearbox
Post #435967 5th Jul 2015 7:13pm
nitram17

Thanks m1 munch....... hope its normal as the ac was only on for a couple of minutes and it did look like a decent amount of water i dread to think of the condensate would be like on a long journey!its a bloody daft place to have a drain as the water is covering some of the electrical wires .........it appears to only leak when the AC is running.....i was wondering if the black thick oil was from manufacture spilt or somethingas its on he top of the gearbox?anyway thanks for the info!
Post #436181 6th Jul 2015 8:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1